Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
CBUB
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35X Sedan

Hello. I'm new to the forum but have been reading the message boards for a while. Big fan of this site!

I apologize beforehand as I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death...

I am going to change my MAF sensor because the old one is ruined. Before you ask just keep in mind the following: yes I have already cleaned it twice with proper MAF sensor cleaner. Yes I am using a paper filter, not that greasy K&N... actually the previous owner had a FILTHY K&N installed (he never cleaned it) and I'm sure that ruined it. And yes, I did swap MAF's with a buddy and the performance boost was just incredible. So my old MAF is burned out.

My question is which one do I buy and where (considering I'm in Canada)? I've been searching online for some good prices and I see this "Jet Performance" MAF going for $150. The dealer wants $300 for a MAF and a lot of people advise me to go straight to the dealer for anything electrical. I also see the Hitachi MAF being sold online for about $200 (is this the OEM sensor for the 2006 G35x)?

I'd really appreciate everyone's input on which MAF is better for fuel economy purposes. As well as any upgrades I can make to boost fuel economy in general. Sorry if I'm getting off topic but I've done a lot of the usual fuel economy fixes already (a/f sensors, o2 sensors, new spark plugs)

Thanks

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Welcome to NICO!

I'm not quite familiar with MAF brands, and I'm not in Canada, so I suck.

I have, however, used courtesyparts.com for OEM Nissan. You may have luck trying to order from Z1 motorsports for an OEM MAF as well, since they are huge supporters of the Z and G platforms. I have had good experiences with both, but I'm not sure if there's a better option that is more local to you.

Good luck!

CBUB

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep you posted.

CBUB

Okay... so I swapped out the MAF with a used one from the scrapyard. It worked great for about 12 hours until it threw the dreaded P0340 Camshaft position sensor bank 1. :cry:

Now I have to check the harness and connection for a short, otherwise I will need to replace the sensor.

Can a faulty MAF damage the Camshaft position sensor or do any other kind of engine damage (both mechanical and electrical)?

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Did the ECU throw any fault codes before you replaced the MAF? If your MAF was not functioning properly, the ECU should detect this problem and give you a check engine light.

CBUB

Hi RED_DET

No the ECU did not throw a fault code for the MAF sensor, but I suspected that the MAF sensor was bad due to bad power and fuel consumption. So once I swapped MAFs with my buddy and noticed the performance pickup that confirmed a MAF problem. From what I understand, the MAF doesn't always throw a code when it is beginning to go bad.

Btw... that used MAF that I recently bought was total garbage. I ran it for a week and now my performance is even worse. I think I'm going to just go to the dealer and buy the $330 MAF..... :eek:

Another update... the Camshaft threw a code three times in 2 days. I've since replaced the camshaft sensor with one from the dealer and it has not thrown a code in over a week. I think that problem is solved. I just wonder if my old faulty MAF could have thrown off engine timings....

CBUB

Oh... btw... I was talking to this other G35 owner at the carwash yeseterday. He showed me his fuel tank and mileage driven...I was stunned because he got 30% better mileage than me and he is running all stock (granted he had the coupe but still...)

I'm sure the MAF is the problem now. I only wish I had changed the MAF sensor first before buying new O2 and A/F sensors, spark plugs and injector cleaning service...

CBUB

I just wanted to leave a quick follow up just in case anyone comes across this thread. I'll make it brief. I bought a used MAF sensor that was complete garbage. Then I thought I'd buy one from the dealer but they wanted $375 for one brand new! Then I went onto eBay and stumbled across this parts dealer based in Canada. I bought a new MAF sensor from them for $180 all in. That was 2 days ago.

The new MAF just arrived today. I was pleasantly surprised to see it packed in OEM packaging (very reassuring). Then I disconnected the negative lead on the battery, swapped in the new MAF, warmed up the engine and did a complete pedal reset. All I have to say is WOW! The power, torque and pedal response is just.....just...just great :D

I've been driving this car for months and only now am I really beginning to appreciate the G35s performance. I know it's a bit early for a verdict on the new MAF but preliminary testing is very encouraging. I will follow up at a later time with another update.

Philgio
Car: 2011 Infinity G37x Sedan

I just purchased my first Infinity. It's a used 2011 G37X (32k miles)

I came across this post and was curious if the MAF is something that should be proactively changed or if it's a fail only replacement part.

Thanks for your help.

CBUB

Hey Philgio, congrats on the purchase! That's a sweet ride.

The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is located just behind the air filter under the hood of your car. It measures the amount of air coming into the intake manifold and the ECU uses this data in order to calculate how much gas to burn.

The MAF sensor is something that can become sluggish over time without throwing an error code. Some people swear by cleaning it periodically, but an equal number of people say never clean it since it's a pretty delicate thing.

From my own experience...my G35x is 8 years old and the previous owner used an oily K&N air filter. This oil residue got onto the MAF and ruined it. I never got any error codes but I did notice that my fuel consumption was a lot higher than most people and my car didn't accelerate as well as it should.

In your case... on such a new car I would not expect the MAF to need replacing. But you should check your air filter. Make sure it is clean and replace it with a paper one if it is dirty. Watch your fuel consumption over the next month... if it's a lot higher than normal I'd look at replacing the MAF first.

Btw...are you still under warranty?

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”