map/baro solenoid and knock sensor codes. please HELP

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
fahq45
Car: '99 Infiniti Q45

Hello everyone, I had a few questions about 2 check engine light codes that came on about 2weeks ago on my 99 q45 with 144k miles... one is for the map/baro solenoid and the other is for the right bank knock sensor, is it possible that the bad map/baro solenoid is causing the code for the knock sensor? From what I've heard both are located around the same area, just want to know if the solenoid can cause the ks code that way I can start by getting the map/baro fixed first. My other question is, where I usually take my Q to get fixed I was told that replacing the knock sensors is really pricey, that its a lot of labor, what I don't understand is they gave me a quote for fixing the map/ baro for 200 with oem parts and labor included, if both are located in around the same place why is it so much for the knock sensors?
Something I wanted to point out is that my car isn't running sluggish or slow, something that I know knock sensors cause, is there any way of knowing if theyrebad besides replacing them? Is there a way of clearing the code???

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I don't think the MAP solenoid would have anything to do with the KS. The CEL won't come on with the knock sensor, so chances are it's been bad longer than the MAP sensor.

If you want to try and diagnose it yourself, go here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Q45/1998_Q4 ... Q45/ec.pdf

Start on page EC-332. Looks pretty straight forward to try and diagnose this. I've never heard of an issue like this (doesn't mean there's no issue, though).

I don't think these components are really in similar places. This solenoid looks like it's on the back of the engine, where the KS are under the intake on the heads which is a lot harder to replace.

N/A Q45
Car: 94 Q45

Ummm.. now I might be wrong but doesn't it have a MAF not a MAP sensor?

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

It does have both. The MAP sensor is the manifold absolute pressure sensor.

Coincidentally, it is on the same sub-harness as the knock sensors, under the plenum.

I have a suspicion you have a bowl fuse, a bad sub harness, or a vacuum leak.

JOHNQ
Car: 99Qt
02 Q
03 M

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the map sensor up top by the passenger side on the firewall and it says boost sensor on the sensor itself.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”