Manual to power sunroof

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
J-Phantom
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Hey all. Is this possible?? a manual sunroof on a s13 converted to a power sunroof. i would say it is due to a thread i seen on an s14 with no sunroof and they went ahead and made one but wouldn't be a little more difficult being that the s13 has the up and down buttons by the steering wheel how would you go about getting all of this? the reason i post this is because my friend doesnt want a manual sunroof. i dont have one so idc but he wants to know so i thought id ask.

Nali
Car: Datsun Nissan 280ZX

Yes it can be done.Pretty much anything can be done if you put enough time and effort into it.

Get the motors out of a power Sunroof or buy a universal kit, and retro fit.

I dont know if youll find any articles covering this, but just use your head and youll be able to figure it out.....cant be much harder than swapping an engine.

SirSilvia
Car: Sold both my babies

if its a coupe the roof structure itself is a lot different than a manual one.

BUT as Nali said
Nali wrote:Yes it can be done.Pretty much anything can be done if you put enough time and effort into it.
the manual one just pops out. whereas the powered one sinks and slips into the roof. That being said there will also need to be something for drainage of water. which I believe the powered roofs have built in.But idk since i haven't pulled my head liner down yet.

gnvarnadore
Car: 89 240sx Base Coupe(daily/project) 91 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 92 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 89 240sx Base Hatch(sold) 93 240sx SE Hatch(SOLD!!!)

J-Phantom wrote:Hey all. Is this possible?? a manual sunroof on a s13 converted to a power sunroof. i would say it is due to a thread i seen on an s14 with no sunroof and they went ahead and made one but wouldn't be a little more difficult being that the s13 has the up and down buttons by the steering wheel how would you go about getting all of this? the reason i post this is because my friend doesnt want a manual sunroof. i dont have one so idc but he wants to know so i thought id ask.
what s13 has sunroof controls by the steering wheel? my sunroof controls are on the roof with the map lights. i have a fully loaded 92 SE coupe. was there ever a power moonroof? because moonroofs go up and down and sunroofs slide open.

J-Phantom
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

gnvarnadore wrote:
what s13 has sunroof controls by the steering wheel? my sunroof controls are on the roof with the map lights. i have a fully loaded 92 SE coupe. was there ever a power moonroof? because moonroofs go up and down and sunroofs slide open.
no s13 has it in the steering wheel i meant by the steering wheel, i think its under the hazard button, it has up and down i think. his car is a hatch. we're thinking about doing it but it just seems like an annoying procedure, the whole search for motors,wiring, and then the buttons to control it. If we do end up doing it ill be sure to post

SirSilvia

if its a hatch it will have to be an after market setup, since there's not enough roof space for the sunroof glass, because of the hatch setup. that's why they're manual in the first place.

Seanzyyy
Car: 1990 240sx se coupe

is a power sunroof to manual possible without spending too much cash?in other words, can it just be swapped out?

SirSilvia

The body for the manual and powered roofs are completely different. the powered roofs have a whole other structure that allows them to slide into the roof. but we'll only know if you do it and tell us

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

There is a ridge in the manual roof that prevents you from swapping. You'd have to get creative if you wanna do this.

I believe the power roof opening is smaller than the manual one, but I'm not sure.

SirSilvia

Dattebayo wrote:There is a ridge in the manual roof that prevents you from swapping. You'd have to get creative if you wanna do this.

I believe the power roof opening is smaller than the manual one, but I'm not sure.
actually, looking more closely at a parts diagram I got off the Nissan dealership a while ago, check this out.http://www.vanillaslice.info/i...s.jpg

part number 73640 (the large tray looking piece to the lower right) it looks like you can unbolt that from the roof.
SirSilvia wrote:That being said there will also need to be something for drainage of water. which I believe the powered roofs have built in.
Also, the drainage piece happens to be what looks like a rubber hose. Part number 91392 (just under part 73640 and attached to it)

I would say upon a second look at it. It looks a bit more feasible, you main problem is going to be leaks no doubt.

gnvarnadore
Car: 89 240sx Base Coupe(daily/project) 91 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 92 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 89 240sx Base Hatch(sold) 93 240sx SE Hatch(SOLD!!!)

dattebayo i think your right about the manual(moonrof) one having a bigger opening than the power(sunroof) one, because a buddy of mine had his glass break and he searched all the junkyards and couldnt find a replacement for his moonroof.

Dattebayo

I remember this from a thread years and years ago and I remember someone saying it wasn't possible cause of this ridge.... and the size. Hey if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I usually have a pretty good memory in spite of being the shameless drunk I am.

SirSilvia

ah did not think of the size issue, ^-^ i don't have any hatches near by to compare. speaking of, did they ever have a manual roof on a coupe?

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

gnvarnadore wrote:because moonroofs go up and down and sunroofs slide open.
""sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed"

SirSilvia

numbnuts240 wrote:
""sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed"
hang on numbnuts, imma let you finish, but i want you to take another look at the parts diagram that came off one of their factory parts CDs.

http://www.vanillaslice.info/i...s.jpgThey list is as "Model: s13 736- -001 sun roof parts"

Just threw a brick through your window of logic.
Modified by SirSilvia at 8:48 AM 12/17/2009

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

"originally" was the key word there. "originally". both sunroof and moonroof are used interchangeably these days. i was just offering their original definitions. you can have your brick back, don't worry about the moonroof

SirSilvia

ahh, hahah no disrespect man

numbnuts240

SirSilvia wrote:ahh, hahah no disrespect man
none at all. i got skin like a rhino, with rhino liner. tank status.

Dattebayo

SirSilvia wrote:http://www.vanillaslice.info/i...s.jpgThey list is as "Model: s13 736- -001 sun roof parts"

Just threw a brick through your window of logic.
Sun-roof of logic maybe?

Oh and FYI, that's not the original template from FAST. The whole "Model S13 736- -001 sun roof parts" was added in afterward. I can show you the original, but you'll have to DL Nissan FAST cause it won't let me capture the image...

SirSilvia

woah sweet, know where i can download FAST? hopefully its complete than the others i've found

SR24DET
Car: RMS13

I had a hatch, and I have a coupe. I tried to do just the opisit. I wanted to put the manual hatch sunroof into my coupe. I like the glass but I need the room for my cage. The coupe's power sunroof's mechanical box covers the entire coupe roof. Its big, and it drops down 2-3". It also has 4 drain tubes in each corner that go through the A and C pillar and out the bottom. Also the glass of the hatch is alot bigger then the coupes. I know for sure you couldnt take the mechanisums out of a coupe and put it in the hatch. If you wanted to make a power sunroof in your hatch it would have to be all custom. Also, i dont think the hatch roof is big enough so you would have to have the glass go out the top instead of inside (like DSM's).

To sum up, its possible, but probly expensive.

SirSilvia

SR24DET wrote:To sum up, its possible, but probly expensive.
Exactly, nuff said. I mean if you don't have anything better to use that money on... go for it

zenki-S13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx S13

pshhjust leave it as is

i would kill to have a manual sunroof on my hatch but im not going to cut a whole in my car and im not going to pay a shop do it so ill just suffer without

Dattebayo

SirSilvia wrote:woah sweet, know where i can download FAST? hopefully its complete than the others i've found
I got it from Tom, who goes by the NICO s/n Murdered_T and posts in Learned'd sometimes. I think...? lol

I don't have the extractor files to send, sorry!

SirSilvia

aww man, I'll have to hunt him down.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”