Main window switch repair

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
drift_junkE
Car: 95 240sx SE 5 speed

Well, I don't know about everybody here, but on my last 3 s14s the window switch with the auto for the driver window has been "broken". It still lowers and raises the window, but it sometimes stays in the down position if i don't move it back to the neutral position. Well I tried something about a month ago that worked quite well. I don't have alot of pictures of the process, but heres what you need

Fiberglass cloth(can use regular mat)
fiberglass resin
a lil super glue
razor blade
and something to scratch the plastic

Heres what you do

Remove the 4 main screws on under side of switch

Then remove the 3 smaller screws on the same side

Once you have them out, just put your fingers under the window lock switch and remove. It just pops off

Ok, so looking at it, you probably have a cut that looks like this

What you want to do is try to clean it off and get all the white lube s*** off where you are gonna be working. Take the super glue and seal the crack that is there, let it dry, probably bout 10-15 min. Then what you want to do is rough up the surface, I used the tip of a mechanical pencil that had a metal tip. once you do that, cut up the fiberglass cloth into 2 pieces that are the size of the wall you are covering. Next mix up your resin, I used a paper clip and a powerade bottle cap I had laying around. Apply the resin to the roughed area, then lay 1 piece of cloth, apply more resin, apply second cloth, apply final resin. Once this is done, give it about 2 hours to cure then come back and inspect. If it is fully dried, take a razor blade and clean up the edges or it won't fit back in the slot.

Note you can use more fiberglass for stronger hold, but this was enough for me.

Finally reassemble and enjoy your factory feeling switch.

You can aslo fix your door handle like this too. I had the bottom spot where the screw holds it to the door broke off on 2 of my cars.

What you need for this is packing tape and fiberglass resin.

Take the tape and form a box around the bottom that is rougly the size of the plastic that used to be there, then CAREFULLY pour the resin through the hole in the top where your hand goes to grab, you don't want a puddle of resin in there. When you get it to the right thickness just let it sit and dry, then remove the tape later

A little flat black spray paint and it will look just fine

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Very nice.

pj
Car: 95 s14

i need to follow suit so bad. my switches are really starting to get on my nerves.

indomiekid1
Car: S14.

cool. nice.
yea these switches are expensive from the dealer! about 250 bucks.
i had to get this and a damn window motor. sometimes i wish i had rollers. ha.

drift_junkE

indomiekid1 wrote:cool. nice.
yea these switches are expensive from the dealer! about 250 bucks.
i had to get this and a damn window motor. sometimes i wish i had rollers. ha.
Yea, I bought my first 240 from my brother who bought one brand new from factory. I def wasn't gonna pay that much if I could fix it.

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

thats pretty cool. i have taken apart the switch before, but that was before i was messing with fiberglass and didnt think of it later. so good job.

however i have fixed the broken hole with fiberglass though. i did it a little different. i used a small piece of fiberglass mat on the whole bottom of the switch. that way it wont break out again. like this

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I need to do the 2nd part of this. My passenger side door handle is broken where the screw is and it freakin squeaks against the metal plate it screws to. Its so annoying and now I just have a rag shoved in the handle to stop the noise... barely works.

pj
Car: 95 s14

ive been thinnking about cutting out a flat piece of trim-like material and installing toggle switches in it thenriveting it back down to the door panel. im not sure what would be easier really. putting looks aside.

Switch Doctor
Car: 87 Saab SPG

I know this is a bit late, but someone else scrolling through may find it helpful. If you are having issues with the switch, replacing it is very easy and cost effective as well as less time consuming. Here is a link to the replacement switch in the above pictures. All of the window switches sold by Switch Doctor come with a free lifetime warranty, free shipping, and free trouble shooting help.

http://www.switchdoctor.net/nissan-200s ... itch-1998/

drift_junkE

Switch Doctor wrote:I know this is a bit late, but someone else scrolling through may find it helpful. If you are having issues with the switch, replacing it is very easy and cost effective as well as less time consuming. Here is a link to the replacement switch in the above pictures. All of the window switches sold by Switch Doctor come with a free lifetime warranty, free shipping, and free trouble shooting help.

http://www.switchdoctor.net/nissan-200s ... itch-1998/
Is this guaranteed to fit and function with the 95&96-98 240sx? Because your site doesn't look its anything for the 240s switch and only information listed in the link is 2 door Sentra(once) and 200sx(10 times)

pitpoison1
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1995 Nissan 240SX
1996 Nissan 240SX

I know its late but i'm excited to say I have custom made window switch replacements for S14's for sale on my Ebay!. starting today I now ship internationally too! here's the link to my listing also my Ebay seller username is pitpoison

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404910177769?m ... media=COPY

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

pitpoison1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:21 pm
I know its late but i'm excited to say I have custom made window switch replacements for S14's for sale on my Ebay!. starting today I now ship internationally too! here's the link to my listing also my Ebay seller username is pitpoison

The Fabricators' Marketplace is a place for small operations, typically manufacturing one or two specific items for Nissan vehicles, to enter the market and display their wares (and get a good start in the industry). If you would like your product to be showcased here, please contact [email protected] for arrangements, fee schedule and approval.

Duplicate posts deleted.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”