m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

herculiner looks great!

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

thanks all :)

great news! the car is officially in the body shop!

last week or so i cut out the intercooler piping holes and sprayed some sem high build primer in the engine bay.

loaded up :dblthumb:

KAman19
Car: 1989 s13 hatch ka24e
4-2-1 header, dual n1 catback knockoff
3in intake pipe

Awesome man love seeing your updates!

S13_RB25
Car: A 240 but no RB yet!

I love this thread :biggrin: !! Its been awhile since i've been on nico and i was wondering aren't you located somewhere in Jersey???

m tr4nch

thanks d00ds!
S13_RB25 wrote:I love this thread :biggrin: !! Its been awhile since i've been on nico and i was wondering aren't you located somewhere in Jersey???
yessir i'm in neptune.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

So glad you're still at this. Do it all proper, the entire restoration, even if it takes another yr or so. You'll be so happy with the build and know that it'll last. Take your time with everything and it'll turn out great :)

m tr4nch

homeslicej2 wrote:So glad you're still at this. Do it all proper, the entire restoration, even if it takes another yr or so. You'll be so happy with the build and know that it'll last. Take your time with everything and it'll turn out great :)
thanks bro. that is the plan! but i'm really hoping it won't take another year lol. hopefully running this summer.
right now i'm trying to sort out all the suspension stuff and the rest of the work i have to do with that and the engine stuff, etc. so i can start tossing things on after the paint is done.

streetspirit7
Car: '97 240sx

Can't wait to see parts start going back on this car!!

Jagdman
Car: 1993 240sx SE coupe X 2

We need more pics!!! I just started off on my coupe lots of great ideas in this forum and extraordinary inspiration/motivation you got going on here for many of us 240sx Lovers. KEEP it up THUMBS up! =D

jsturges18
Car: 1990 240sx hatch - totaled/parts car
1990 240sx hatch - replacement
2005 pt cruiser
2004 350Z

can't wait for an update! also through out this whole process have you ever thought about changing your decision on what motor. i do think you did bang out the tunnel for an rb25. and if thats what your still doing, what are you doing to it?

m tr4nch

jsturges18 wrote:can't wait for an update! also through out this whole process have you ever thought about changing your decision on what motor. i do think you did bang out the tunnel for an rb25. and if thats what your still doing, what are you doing to it?
i have thought before that i should have stuck with a KA in the beginning and waited to get the RB just to get the rest of the car broken in and used to driving it again, and then do a swap. not only for that, but i'd have a few more grand in my pocket to spend on the rest of the car. but oh well, i'm sticking with the rb25 now. it will basically be stock until i can get used to the car again and it's power, then when i get bored i'll probably build it for low to mid 300's whp, or maybe more, who knows.

m tr4nch

soo the car is still in the body shop. i've been working on getting a bunch of things cleaned up in the mean time.

separated the brake/fuel hard lines that run under the car, cleaned all the road grime off and wire wheeled the rusted areas.

separated all the plastic clips from the metal brackets and cleaned them up. those 4 on the right are the ones in the engine bay which happen to be discontinued. thankfully i could remove them without breaking any of the clips since the plastic is getting brittle. since they are discontinued i've been researching mold making and will probably attempt to copy them and make some new ones myself. more on that later :)

dug out most if not all of the bare metal interior brackets that were rusting. i've been trying out eastwood's rust dissolver on them and other random pieces, and they've been coming out great so far. the bare metal still has to be acid etched/pickled after you take the pieces out of the liquid, or it will rust up again quickly. also this stuff will strip zinc plating, but won't harm paint/rubber/plastic apparently.

before:

during:

after:

also separated the e-brake handle from the T cable and cleaned it up. didn't want to dunk it in the rust dissolver so i just wire wheeled it and it came out awesome!

old vs. new e-brake T cable

group shot

everything will get painted, not sure what kind of paint or color just yet but i will figure that out soon.
still need to clean up engine bay hard lines, dash support, steering rack & column, and a few other little things. hopefully will have another update soon! :bigthumb:

240sxcl50
Car: 95 s14

Someone call the awesome police you clearly have to much awesome per sq foot going on there.

Razi
Car: Moo

That is awesome!

Just paint em black or silver. :)

DaniMike
Car: 1993 240sx, 1996 240sx, 2008 Altima

Amazing work!!

240jp
Car: 90 240sx

Let me just say you are very inspiring to me and my project. I did have a couple questions tho like where are you ordering all the OEM parts and how long of periods can you sandblast with the size air compressor you are using and what type if sandblaster you are using is it just the bucket of sand with the hose. Also why have you not taken out the quarter glass yet. Thanks again this is an awesome thread.

m tr4nch

thanks guys!
oem parts i order from midway nissan in phoenix, az. for sandblasting i can usually go for about an hour or so continuous before i start getting moisture shooting out with the sand (moisture filters are helpful). the compressor i have is a 33 gal tank, i could blast all day with it if it weren't for moisture build up from constantly refilling it. and yes i use the gun with hose attached and a bucket of sand.

m tr4nch

so the chassis is done being painted! :biggrin:
the body panels are still being worked on but should be done in the next week. so far i'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out. it's not a *perfect* show winning job, but for gloss black it is pretty decent. anyways, on to the pics.

windshield and quarter windows removed.

door hinge areas were smoothed out a little

seriously couldn't even tell i pieced this on..

then.. when i first saw it completed

and today when i picked it up :)

loaded up and strapped down. the hood was completed also, so i bolted it on temporarily to transport it so i didn't have to
risk scratching it by shoving it in the back of the truck (only fits at a vertical angle).
sooo nice and glossy!

it's now sitting in my storage unit, can't wait to start bolting pieces on! :bigthumb:
Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

As usual, your progress just gets me motivated to start work on my car. She looks beautiful.

Jagdman
Car: 1993 240sx SE coupe X 2

GOOSEBUMPS!!!! :mike

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

I'm a fan :dblthumb:

240jp
Car: 90 240sx

Lookin awesome just one more question man what type of sand did you use for your blasting

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

Do you have another car? I only ask this BC once you finish your not going to want to drive it on the road, Jersey drivers are insane especially in your area the roads suck.

m tr4nch

thanks everyone!
240jp wrote:Lookin awesome just one more question man what type of sand did you use for your blasting
i picked up a bag of sanitized play sand from home depot to use.
Chaotic_Warlord wrote:Do you have another car? I only ask this BC once you finish your not going to want to drive it on the road, Jersey drivers are insane especially in your area the roads suck.
yeah i have 2 other cars, this will be the nice weather car ;) . the roads aren't all that bad around here, some suck while others are nice. it's probably like 60/40 good/suck.

m tr4nch

still cleaning some things up. took care of the dash support today, came out pretty clean.

will probably be painting all these pieces next week some time.

Razi
Car: Moo

Oooo pretty.
Good to see the chassis finally painted. :)

m tr4nch

painted all the interior brackets and stuff with masterseries silver. brushed on the first coat, sprayed the second coat for a nice even finish.

also did some of the steering column

sprayed the underbody fuel/brake lines with rubberized undercoating, also did the metal floor plugs.

painted hatch hinges and front brake line brackets with some gloss black epoxy, and rubberized undercoat on the fender stay bars.

still working on a few other things! :bigthumb:

splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

good god you have clearly mastered the art of OCD over me :) A+++ WORK

m tr4nch

splintercell wrote:good god you have clearly mastered the art of OCD over me :) A+++ WORK
lol thanks bro! yeah i admit it's a little bit ocd haha :crazy:

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Dude you've probably spend more on paint, cleaning and coating products then I did on my turbo!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”