m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
nando
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx se
1989 nissan 240sx

Question... Why close off and weld up the "draft duct" ?

my understanding is those flaps let the air pressure out of the car when you close your doors. with out them there is a big chance that your glass will pop out and/or that your doors will be hard to shut.

just wondering

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

nando wrote:Question... Why close off and weld up the "draft duct" ?

my understanding is those flaps let the air pressure out of the car when you close your doors. with out them there is a big chance that your glass will pop out and/or that your doors will be hard to shut.

just wondering
stuff got in through the openings over the years which i think contributed to rusting out the quarter panel on the passenger side, so i decided to weld them shut. i'm not concerned about any air pressure changes. there are plenty of other places for air to escape, car interiors aren't air tight or water tight. i did do my research before though, and apparently the patent for nissan's "drafter duct" was issued in 1980-something (i read it a few months ago but can't find it again for the life of me). so just think, prior to that i'm sure cars didn't have them, so it's not a big deal. i mean if worst comes to worst i can always cut a hole there or something.

m tr4nch

patchwork = done!

passenger side door hinge-

painted and sealed off the inner rail brace-

then welded up. i haz rails!

getting close to paint time! :bigthumb:

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Paint time=sweet! You going to undercoat the underbody to deaden sound and protect the paint?

m tr4nch

homeslicej2 wrote:Paint time=sweet! You going to undercoat the underbody to deaden sound and protect the paint?
yessir, i'm almost positive i will be going the truck bed liner route. seems like it would be better in the long run. i will apply a few coats of the silver masterseries paint first.

jsturges18
Car: 1990 240sx hatch - totaled/parts car
1990 240sx hatch - replacement
2005 pt cruiser
2004 350Z

soooooo hows the car goooooooin????

m tr4nch

welded the ends of the cowl back on, painted all the patchwork.

also started spraying the inside of the frame rails & rockers

hopefully will have more next week :)

project213
Car: 1990 s13 hatchback, s13 sr20det, s15 6sp transmission.

sick man, your doing everything i wish i could.

Fun question, whats all the part numbers too the suspension hardware?? Im not looking forward to the price tag but im replacing everything but my subframes anyway so what the hell might as well update my hardware, especially since i found a random bolt holding on my rear driver side strut without the washer, lol. :blush:

SkyS13Walker
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch-back

Sick build you went from the bottom up

m tr4nch

project213 wrote:sick man, your doing everything i wish i could.

Fun question, whats all the part numbers too the suspension hardware?? Im not looking forward to the price tag but im replacing everything but my subframes anyway so what the hell might as well update my hardware, especially since i found a random bolt holding on my rear driver side strut without the washer, lol. :blush:
what exactly are you looking to replace? because i have a little over 50 different numbers for that stuff :crazy:

anyways, internal frame coating is done, and the undercoat base is looking awesome so far!

i love this masterseries paint, goes on a lot smoother and flows better than the rust bullet did.
got one more coat to put on, seal up all the seams, and then bedliner :bigthumb:

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

one of the best builds ever for that of quality resto.

servili007
Car: 1995 240sx se

Man, this is one sick resto you've got going, you even have the drive to redo your patches, kudos, I hope I see this car some time (somehow) when you've finished.

I just wish I had as much time and determination as you, but I know damn well that as soon as I attempt anything close to what you're doing, it'll mount into a giant project that I might never finish.

menucho
Car: 240sx, pathfinder

congratulations man!!!, don't give up, you almost finish the most difficult part (i suppose), keep us posted

m tr4nch

thank you guys! :biggrin:
servili007 wrote:I just wish I had as much time and determination as you, but I know damn well that as soon as I attempt anything close to what you're doing, it'll mount into a giant project that I might never finish.
if i knew back then that it would take me this long to do something like this, i don't think i would have ever started. i also never imagined myself going this far with it. you have no idea how many times i wanted to just stop and sell it off, but i stuck with it. and if anything, i've gained a ton of knowledge/experience from this restoration which, if i actually did have a rust free shell to begin with, i probably would never have learned any of it.

but yes, the hard part is nearing completion finally. i mean even after the chassis is done there is obviously still a ton of little things i need to do before it's road worthy, but i love building things and having a challenge so hopefully it goes quickly.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

How much do you like the new rust inhibitor? I've got some spots I'm gonna try to clean up and protect soon.

240TKE128
Car: 1990 240sx HB

2011 subaru outback 2.5i limited

m tr4nch wrote:
project213 wrote:sick man, your doing everything i wish i could.

what exactly are you looking to replace? because i have a little over 50 different numbers for that stuff :crazy:

anyways, internal frame coating is done, and the undercoat base is looking awesome so far!

i love this masterseries paint, goes on a lot smoother and flows better than the rust bullet did.
got one more coat to put on, seal up all the seams, and then bedliner :bigthumb:

I cant thank you enough for posting how you went restoring your frame and underbody, im going to have to do alot of these same steps myself, i have lots of rust and parts of the frame are so rusted they crumple in my hand. Gives me some hope for mine. :dblthumb: :mike

m tr4nch

Hijacker wrote:How much do you like the new rust inhibitor? I've got some spots I'm gonna try to clean up and protect soon.
i like it a lot better than the rust bullet i was using before. i can tell that it's formulated a little differently. i won't know how well it holds up for a while though since i just started using it, but i think i'm going to coat a suspension arm on my DD (which is a rust bucket also) and see how it holds up for some real life testing.
240TKE128 wrote:I cant thank you enough for posting how you went restoring your frame and underbody, im going to have to do alot of these same steps myself, i have lots of rust and parts of the frame are so rusted they crumple in my hand. Gives me some hope for mine. :dblthumb: :mike
glad i could help!

ska69
Car: 200sx s13 ca18det

all I can say is WOW...speechless perfection. :mike

benz88
Car: 91 240sx

Looks great, I know when i start redo-ing my S13 i'll be sealing all those holes on the rails so nothing gets in.

gori11a_jo3

damn cant believe this is still goin props doogie great build!!

splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

bottom of the car looks fresh off the assembly line...super dope bro. :)

m tr4nch

thanks guys!!

i'll be doing the seam sealer tomorrow and hopefully have the bedliner sprayed on by the end of the week ;)

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

beautiful as always :)

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

looks great man! :cool:

silentstorm
Car: 1991 Hatch

Man I love your build. Been following it for years and starting my own in the process, gave me a lot of ideas and inspiration. Question for you though are you spraying the Masterseries on the underbody or brushing it on?

StricNyne

MAttttt!!

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

I'm just glad you are keeping at it. It takes a lot of dedication and drive to stick with something like this for so long. If you're a gearhead at heart though, the worst part is not being able to drive it. I too have wanted to give up and sell my 240 at times, but I know I'll never get near what I have in it, plus (when it's on the road lol) I love driving it. Though I know I could never get out of it in a sale what I've put into the car, I don't care, I will always want a project car that goes fast and I can wrench on. In the end, I don't think I will ever sell my 240. I too will do a full resto on mine in the near future (3-5 yrs).

m tr4nch

thanks everyone! :)
well i got most of the seam sealer on, ran out, had to buy 2 more tubes. also had to order another undercoating gun because the one i have isn't going to work with herculiner. so yeah more delays but still taking care of business, will have more pics later! ;)
silentstorm wrote:Man I love your build. Been following it for years and starting my own in the process, gave me a lot of ideas and inspiration. Question for you though are you spraying the Masterseries on the underbody or brushing it on?
glad i am inspiring people! i brushed on 2 coats of the masterseries over all the sandblasted areas, then sprayed 3 full coats on the whole underbody.
homeslicej2 wrote:I'm just glad you are keeping at it. It takes a lot of dedication and drive to stick with something like this for so long. If you're a gearhead at heart though, the worst part is not being able to drive it. I too have wanted to give up and sell my 240 at times, but I know I'll never get near what I have in it, plus (when it's on the road lol) I love driving it. Though I know I could never get out of it in a sale what I've put into the car, I don't care, I will always want a project car that goes fast and I can wrench on. In the end, I don't think I will ever sell my 240. I too will do a full resto on mine in the near future (3-5 yrs).
i know exactly what you mean man. i really do miss driving a 240 :frown:, sad to think i've only driven this car for about 8 or 9 months and only put about 7,500 miles on it from the time i bought it to the time i started tearing it apart. i don't think i'll ever sell this car either, i put way too much effort into it, i just want to enjoy it now lol.

los! hit me up brah

240TKE128
Car: 1990 240sx HB

2011 subaru outback 2.5i limited

i know exactly what you mean man. i really do miss driving a 240 :frown:, sad to think i've only driven this car for about 8 or 9 months and only put about 7,500 miles on it from the time i bought it to the time i started tearing it apart. i don't think i'll ever sell this car either, i put way too much effort into it, i just want to enjoy it now lol.
LOL dont rub it in its been 2 years since ive seen mine let alone drive it. LOL, I Hope you get it back on the road soon :dblthumb:

allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

Jaw has been dropped.
Kudos broddah!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”