Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
thepettes

Does anyone know how to reset the tire pressure indicator light. My light has been on for the past two weeks--ever since it got really cold. I had my tires checked at Jiffy Lube and they are at the correct pressure. Jiffy Lube said I had to drive over 40 mph on a highway for 20 min to reset it. Is this right?

drWaLLs
Car: Nissan Rouge 08 / Altima 08

Mine were low (because I had a nail in one..) but I filled the tire up (that's how I noticed the nail) and within a mile or two the light went away..

Nissannate25

I believe you have to go over 15mph for a few minutes for the light to reset itself and shut off. Honestly, I would not trust what Jiffy Lube says. They have multiple lawsuits on them for not doing work or performing faulty work on vehicles. Just get your own tire gauge check/adjust the pressure at a car wash if you don't have your own compressor. I had to adjust mine after the temp. dropped and after a few mins of driving, the light went off.

philipa_240sx

It can take some time for the TPMS light to reset. As much as 30min or more and you must be driving at speeds above 16mph.

FYI: Below 16mph, the TPMS system does not activate. The sensors will stop transmitting at speeds less than 16mph to conserve it's battery life.

CincyRoguer
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD/Gotham Gray/Black Leather

My light came on yesterday too. I filled all of the tires up tonight, and my light went off when I turned the car off and turned it back on. I thought I would have to wait until tomorrow, but all seems to be well again.

Dakota4791
Car: Nissan Rogue

Mine was on, too... took it to the dealer where they found a nail.

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

It dropped to near zero this week and consequentlythe TPMS light came on. I checked the tires and thelowest reading was 32#s....the specs call for 33#s. Ifilled the tires to 35#s, then drove the car for 10miat 60 mph.....light stayed on.

Here comes the bs from the tech now, I must've hadstupid sh#t written on my forehead:

So, I drove it to Nissan, the tech said that they needto be filled to 38#s for the sensors to work correctly in the high altitude of Colorado....."because thesensors are hard calibrated to sea level and can't bechanged...."To that I said....33psi at sea level has the samepressure as 33psi in Colorado, the sensors look for 33psi. If not, then, #1... our TPMS systems aredefective because they will only work properly ifdriven only at sea level. #2...to keep the light fromcoming on, you are forced to over-inflate the tires...(38psi in real cold weather would be like 45psi in hotweather, thats flat dangerous!)

Then I asked if all cars with the TPMS has this problem and the tech said that only Nissan has thistype of TPMS sensor....tech's full of crap!I asked why the Rogue manual doesn't say the samething...no answerAll this is STUPID, and I'm not that damn gullible!

After scratches on the doors, rattles, defectivesensors, tranny problems of others, and ignorant service reps, I seriously doubt that more Nissans are in my future.

thepettes

I had another quick service (not Jiffy Lube) check my tires and he said the two on the right side were overinflated. He set all the tires to the correct pressure and said that I may have to drive the car several times before the light will go out. Well now I've driven the car 10-12 times and the light is still on. All my trips are less than 20 minutes in length. Do I need to drive for a longer time for the light to go out?

mistergib

thepettes wrote:I had another quick service (not Jiffy Lube) check my tires and he said the two on the right side were overinflated. He set all the tires to the correct pressure and said that I may have to drive the car several times before the light will go out. Well now I've driven the car 10-12 times and the light is still on. All my trips are less than 20 minutes in length. Do I need to drive for a longer time for the light to go out?
No, you shouldn't have to....I couldn't get mine to go off either which iswhy I took it in to Nissan....and I had done everything according to themanual. Now, my light is off, but Nissan really over-inflated my tires to get it to shut off. Thats why I was saying that its not uncommon for usto get 80 degree weather in the winter here in Colorado...which wouldcause the psi in my now over-inflated tires to shoot up to around 45psi...which is ridiculous. I think their TPMS is faulty and worthless! I'm justnot impressed with alot of things about Nissan anymore.... Remember, the tech told me that the TPMS sensors are only accurateat sea level and cannot be recalibrated.....that, to me, is a defect!!!!!

IF MY LIGHT COMES ON AGAIN.....here is what I am gonna do. Since thewarning light will not reset as per our manual instructions.....I will copy the dealership trick and over-inflate each tire by approx 6psi, (38-39psieach), then drive the car above 25mph which should reset the warninglight. Then, once the light is reset, and contrary to the dealership wherethey would just leave the tires dangerously over-inflated, I will carefullyback the psi back down in each tire to around 35psi and leave them atthat......I believe that will solve the problem til the next time......wheneverthat might be???? ....stupid TPMS system!

Modified by mistergib at 7:39 PM 12/7/2008

philipa_240sx

mistergib wrote:So, I drove it to Nissan, the tech said that they needto be filled to 38#s for the sensors to work correctly in the high altitude of Colorado....."because thesensors are hard calibrated to sea level and can't bechanged...."
The tech is correct... here is why:

Your hand held tire pressure gauge measures relative air pressure between the inside of the tire and the surrounding air and is not affected by altitude. Most TPMS sensors measure absolute air pressure according to a set reference: the air pressure at sea level.

At 7000ft (the mean elevation of Colorado), there is a approx. 4psi decrease in atmospheric pressure vs. sea level. This means the TPMS sensor (which is calibrated at sea level) is reading 4 psi lower than your tire pressure gauge at 7000ft. Thus you have to compensate by adding an additional 4psi... so 37psi total.

There is no way for the system to correct itself for altitude changes.

Footnote:

Don't blame Nissan for the TPMS system. The system is mandated by the US Federal Gov't under the TREAD act. Even better, the law does not require TPMS systems to compensate for altitude or temperature variations! They just have to send a warning when tire pressure drops 25% below the recommended inflation pressure.

mistergib

Respectfully.....Bull! Why would Nissan put sensors in that will only beaccurate at sea level....if they did, they are very short sighted. If that were true, why would it not say in the manual that you need to raise thepsi if the vehicle is to be driven at altitude?....it doesn't. Also, if that weretrue, then why wouldn't the "high altitude" Nissan dealers raise the psiin the tires before they sold you the car?? Wouldn't they be directed todo that?? They aren't, and they don't. Wouldn't that be considered asafety issue??....isn't that the purpose of having a warning system, thatit be accurate??

I have an Acura that I have no problem with....no TPMS lights ever! Other car manufacturers do not have this problem either. I'm callinga spade a spade here.... The tech even told me that Nissan is the onlymanufacturer that has this requirement.....whats that tell ya??

It is NOT logical for a new cars warning system to only work accurately atsea level, how stupid! Sorry Phillip, no disrespect meant to you, but youcannot convince me that this is correct...... TPMS or no TPMS, there is nocar manufacturer that directs the buyer to raise the psi if you live in highaltitude.....none that I know of.....

philipa_240sx

mistergib wrote:TPMS or no TPMS, there is nocar manufacturer that directs the buyer to raise the psi if you live in highaltitude.....none that I know of.....
I strongly suggest you browse some other forums/internet regarding TPMS and altitude issues for other makes of cars. This problem affects other makes as well since many use the same Schrader Bridgeport TPMS system as Nissan.

I do not disagree that this TPMS issue is somewhat silly. The system could be better designed. Of bigger concern to me is people will start ignoring the TPMS system because it's a nuiscance.

mistergib

philipa_240sx wrote:
I strongly suggest you browse some other forums/internet regarding TPMS and altitude issues for other makes of cars. This problem affects other makes as well since many use the same Schrader Bridgeport TPMS system as Nissan.

I do not disagree that this TPMS issue is somewhat silly. The system could be better designed. Of bigger concern to me is people will start ignoring the TPMS system because it's a nuiscance.
WHY isn't this addressed in the owners manual????? Is it not important??

philipa_240sx

Agreed, it is very important.

mistergib

philipa_240sx wrote:Agreed, it is very important.
Evidently it's not to Nissan, huh. Wonder why?

Anyway, I'm beat'n a dead horse here.....it's just that the longer Iown this Rogue, the less respect I have for Nissan..... Taking all,past and present, in to consideration, I have a 3-yr old Acura thatI wouldn't take two Rogues for.....I hope that changes....

gi'me

my low pressure light came on too. All tires were inflated to 33psi. I, too, took the car to the dealer who inflated the tires to 36 psi. I immediatley deflated them back to 33 psi as per the manual.

The light came on again just last month. I checked the tires once again. The tires were slightly low. I inflated them to 33psi. The light went off after 5 minutes of driving.

At this point I check my tires as I've always done without the sensing device, i.e., walk around the car and periodically check and fill them. If the light goes on with no appearant ongoing justification, I'll just ignore the light.

mistergib

philipa_240sx wrote:

Not trying to give any more life to this topic.....but to comment on what you said..... I Do belong to other forums....Acura being one.....and thisTPMS thing has NOT been a problem with them......but then again....we are talking about Acura which is certainly comparing apples to oranges...C'mon Nissan, wake up...

philipa_240sx

mistergib,

Your points are well taken. And I won't give any more life to this topic after this post.

denrama

I got TPMS warning icon, so I went Good year tires and got the tires filled upto 33psi. Its been 2 days, but I still see this icon. What to do now?

mistergib

...get them air'ed up to around 36-38psi then drive it for about 10 milesat speeds above 25mph.....it should shut off, then...if not, take it toNissan....I had to take mine to Nissan for their "over-inflation fix".

Just goes to show that you are at sea level, and still, yours does notwork correctly.....light should not come on till they get down to around28psi at or around seal level ? Its a faulty system...period!

Modified by mistergib at 8:33 AM 12/9/2008

thepettes

My husband aired all the tires up to 34 psi and the light went off after 30 or so minutes of highway driving. Hope that takes care of it.

kg5ie
Car: '08 Rogue

The temp dropped to 25 degrees here for the first time since I bought th car. After reading this thread, I expected my light to come on. Sure enough, it did. I added about 3 psi to all 4 tires and it went off.

Burner2

Well Mistergib. I will use the same words you used. Respectfully, bull, and a lot more that come to mind.

This TPMS issue is driving me bonkers. It's TMuchBS as far as I am concerned.

I have a 2006 Acura TL and those stupid lights come on ALL the time. I am in Denver and the altitude at my home is 6000' above sea level. Yes, the Acura dealer tells me to overinflate the tires to get rid of the irritating lights. I am certain the service manager or mechanic have not had as much training in physics relating to air pressure as I have.

I also have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with exactly the same problem. So, let me assure you that your Nissan is NOT the only car with this problem.

But, it is driving me nuts. I have a very accurate tire gauge and a compressor in my garage. I keep them inflated to the specs in the owners manual and my various of my TPMS lights are on most of the time when the temperature is at all on the cool side (50F and below).

I agree that the actual pressure is accurate no matter what the altitude is. Yes, if you set it at sea level and climb a mountain, it will be different. But, if you set it in Denver and stay in Denver, your pressure is the same (within some temperature limits).

Today in Denver it is 45F and in my Santa Fe there are errors showing on three tires and on the Acura there are two. These will stay on even if I drive at highway speeds for an hour.

If anyone finds a solution other than overinflating the tires, please let me know.

Oh, one more thing. I tend to ignore it because its always .... well, almost .... wrong. A few months ago a friend was following me and honked me over to tell me my right/rear tire was flat. Nail! Rats! So, I now have to ignore the lights most of the time in addition to keeping a good eyeball on them.

Tom

Return to “Rogue Forum”