Looking for good mechanic/shop for 94 Q45T in Boston area

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MHR
Car: Q45t 1994

I have a 1994 Q45T, black on black, ~110K miles, one owner. Interior looks brand new. No outside rust, looks good. Has been sitting unused in my driveway for ~ 5 years; garaged prior to that. Meticulously dealer maintained prior to this resting in the driveway. Wheels making noise that last day (bearings, calipers?). At last service, informed of a small transmission leak; told to check oil level. Everything else was working nicely. Boston area. As an aside, I had medical issues.

Would like to resurrect it for my son. Would appreciate any advice for the revival, etc. How should I go about it? Costs? Worth it? :confused:

I am not mechanical at all. Would appreciate referrals for any local Boston area mechanics, or garage for this car. Thanks folks.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

Before starting the car I would start by draining all of the old fuel from the tank and adding fresh fuel - you don't want that stuff hitting the injectors... I'd change the oil as well. Replace the battery. Pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over with the starter to get some oil moved around the engine and prime the oil pump. Reinstall the fuel pump fuse, say a prayer, and see what happens!

Hopefully other members will have shop recommendations.

Good luck!

Heath

MHR

Appreciate the advice Q451990. Will certainly make sure this advice is followed by the mechanic(s). The prayer too .. Have decided on the garage: Goodnews Garage in Cambridge, of Click & Clack Brothers NPR fame. They seem to run an ethical place and a lower rate for this area.Scheduled for the first week in Dec. Thanks again.

Other members advice, experience welcome. Am all ears/eyes!

masshead87
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45

It's not quite the Boston area but I gotta say Dana at Upton foreign motors is my mechanic of choice. I live in uxbridge and went through no fewer than half a dozen mechanics before I went to him. Never thought about taking my car to any other shop since then. He's done my under plenum job, brakes, plugs and valve cover gaskets, fixed my oil pan, improvised and put together a new idler pulley, today I got a rebuilt steering pump installed for $450. Couldn't wish for a better shop because there isn't one.
Get AAA plus and the towing will be free to his shop within 125-150 miles.
Your son should have access to your nico account or start his own account because ownership of these cars requires a labor of love at this point. When they're running properly they're marvelous, if not then you're sitting on a ticking time bomb.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Heath has excellent advice, especially on the fuel. do not underestimate the importance of this point. I would also change the fuel filter after you run it for a day because there will be residual crap in the lines and your tank that will hopefully get trapped in the filter.
be prepared for ANYTHING that is rubber to be rotten. nissan used exceptionally high quality rubber, but time is still the enemy. your engine seals if not leaking before will now likely start to leak (vcg, front and rear mains). consider changing at least the 3 drive belts and maybe your rad caps, upper and lower rad hoses. let the trans get to temp in the driveway and drive real slow to get the fluid circulating to the trans seals (rear (driveshaft) seal in particular. your brake lines and caliper seals are also likely shot, so be prepared for that as well.

MHR

Thank you masshead87 for the tip. Talked to him. Will be taking the car to his garage in a couple of weeks. Tip was timely, as I was not able to keep the other appointment. Also thanks to 3Q Jay. The advice is well appreciated and will be followed.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”