Little orange light on roof....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
major2829
Car: BMW

I'm sure its in the manual but I am too lazy to look.

What is the purpose of the little organe light on the cieling to the left that goes off and on when you turn on the headlights?

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

its what nissan calls "mood lighting" to help illuminate the shifter/cup holder area of the center console

major2829

Poor excuse for "ambient" lighting. Now if they would have lit up the buttons on the doors for the windows and locks, that would be much better. Can't see them at all.

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Seriously? Wow, I can't believe that little light actually lights something up? I always thought maybe it was a bluetooth indicator for the radio or something.

DanTheMan
Car: 2010 RogueSL Wickid Black Premium

major2829 wrote:Poor excuse for "ambient" lighting. Now if they would have lit up the buttons on the doors for the windows and locks, that would be much better. Can't see them at all.
While I agree with the above, I think the "night light" does come in handy, especially when driving in dark areas at night. Now, how hard would it really be to run extra wiring and put some lights behind those lock/window buttons.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

It's perfect IMO for lighting that area in the dark. You don't want a bright light in that as that would cause night blindness (and there are the map/dome lights if you really do need them).

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

I have to agree. It illuminates big soda cups perfectly at night.

It's one of those "never would have thought of that" but "never would buy a vehicle without it again" type deals.

sileung

Is this available on all models? I don't have it on my S AWD

major2829

My previous vehicle had orange ambiet lighting all over the vehicle. (There were 2 little lights on each side of the main light, 2 on each side of the back seat light and all of the window/lock buttons. I didn't realize what a difference they made until I didn't have them in this car.

going rogue
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

sileung wrote:Is this available on all models? I don't have it on my S AWD
It's part of the Premium Package. It took me almost a week to identify this as the "ambient lighting". I was expecting a lot more of it (like in the foot wells).

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

^True that. And how about on the interior rear view mirror buttons? I squeeze and cuss my way from left to right on the mirror until my garage door opens.

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

major2829 wrote:Poor excuse for "ambient" lighting. Can't see them at all.
What? you mean the ambient lighting in your Rogue doesn't look like this?

Just kidding... Actually the little orange light (pros and cons) has been kicked around in this forum before.

zerothread/290641http://forums.nicoclub ... ?id=449009

Personally my wife and I use it all the time during our after dark road trips. For the most part we don't know we're using it. If you are driving after dark in the city or where the streets are lighted with street lamps then you won't notice it at all. Its far to dim (not obvious lighting at all). However... if you are in a totally dark location it really lights up the console and cup holders without screwing up your night vision.

To get a good idea of the lighting it provides, cover it with a small piece of black tape on your next night time drive (away from the city and street lights.) Then... once your eyes get accustomed to the dark, pull off the tape and you'll be surprised at t how much light it gives off. Like I said earlier, most of the time we don't even know we are using it.

That said... I'd much rather have had lighted switches / swtich panels in all the doors... and rear seat foot well lighting.

pawprint
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/technology package

Is that what the light is for? I thought it had something to do with the electromagnetic mirror. Finally the mystery is solved because the owner’s manual does list it but doesn’t say how to use it or what for.

Pawprint

gpsmoucer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Took me a while to figure out what it was for too. But as others have said it's actually in the perfect spot and the perfect brightness.

On bad side of the Rogue's design decisions is the cruise control indicator. On my SL it is always blazing bright green, regardless of how low I turn the dash lighting control knob. Very annoying and I would imagine somewhat unsafe for nighttime driving.

Leo2005

I didn't even know what you guys are talking about until I saw it last night when I was sitting in my friend's '10 fx35. I saw that hole and I thought there's supposed to be a microphone for bluetooth from prem. pckg. In fx35 it's white by the way since all the lights are white. Now I wonder if I could put led over there just for fun. Maybe I'll put black light. Now question for those who have this light: Does it go on all the time while the dome lights are off? Probably not an easy mod but I also wondering if it would be possible to change dome lights same way like on fx35. You open left door and left dome light gets brighter while others are dimmed. You open right door and right dome light gets brighter. Mood light goes off when doors are open. Maybe I could switch the panel from infinity to rogue because it is exactly the same panel for dome light(but not sure about wiring stuff).

major2829

Leo2005 wrote:I didn't even know what you guys are talking about until I saw it last night when I was sitting in my friend's '10 fx35. I saw that hole and I thought there's supposed to be a microphone for bluetooth from prem. pckg. In fx35 it's white by the way since all the lights are white. Now I wonder if I could put led over there just for fun. Maybe I'll put black light. Now question for those who have this light: Does it go on all the time while the dome lights are off? Probably not an easy mod but I also wondering if it would be possible to change dome lights same way like on fx35. You open left door and left dome light gets brighter while others are dimmed. You open right door and right dome light gets brighter. Mood light goes off when doors are open. Maybe I could switch the panel from infinity to rogue because it is exactly the same panel for dome light(but not sure about wiring stuff).
As far as I can see, it goes on onlywhen you turn the headlights on. I think it depends on what style you like. My last car was a BMW and it had orange lighting so that is what I am used to. I think Toyota and I know Lexus uses the white.

Return to “Rogue Forum”