List of reasons why the skyline is illegal?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
combatwombat00

Does anyone actually have a list of reasons as to why its illegal?
Ive heard a lot of talk about the Rb26DETT not meeting emissions. Is this the big reason?
And can someone confirm or disprove that after the skyline is 25 years old then its legal to import?
And i've heard some stuff doesnt meet DOT standards, could someone tell me what these items are?
and if i were to fix all the illegalities of the skyline, and maybe swap in a SR20DET or something, would it be legal?
And is it legal once you successfully register it with the DMV? Like if the DMV is a dumbass and you havent changed a thing, is it legal or illegal?
i've read the stickies and lurked around but couldnt find definate answers.

uber240times2
Car: 1989 240sx hatch
2003 350z

so-you-want-to-buy-a-skyline-in-the-us- ... l#p1633113

It's a lot of reading, but you'll get your answers. Even if the DMV does let you have a title, it's still illegal since it's only by state.

combatwombat00

well i do like the R34, but i wouldnt mind having a R33 or R32. They come with the RB26DETT as well correct?

combatwombat00

infiniti_lineup wrote: Depends on state, but the RB26DETT most likely won't pass emissions because of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation requirements in many state's laws.
interesting, i always thought japan had stricter emissions laws than we do. So is it the same story with the RB25 and the RB20? what if i swapped a SR20DET into a R32 or R33, would it be like 80% ready to be US legal?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Every question you're asking was answered in the article.

We didn't compile all that information for our health. ;)

Alfador
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch

Agreed, the article pretty much runs down the whole gambit. The sadness of it is that it's utter hypocrisy. A car that has been tested and approved for road use, and driven by thousands of people in a foreign country is illegal in the United states, while I can literally weld some scrap metal together with wheels and an engine and have it legally drivable as a "kit car" or custom car if I want.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

combatwombat00 wrote:
infiniti_lineup wrote: Depends on state, but the RB26DETT most likely won't pass emissions because of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation requirements in many state's laws.
interesting, i always thought japan had stricter emissions laws than we do. So is it the same story with the RB25 and the RB20? what if i swapped a SR20DET into a R32 or R33, would it be like 80% ready to be US legal?

Not at all. That engine doesn't pass emissions either. Ask the 240-swappers that live in fear of a popop hood pop and keep their KA24 in the shed for inspection time. The government has you, submit.

edthemanjp
Car: 1992 Skyline GTR

As mentioned read the stickies and as always Sean will keep you posted when the 25 year mark gets here and you can import a Skyline legally. The men here know what their talking about

As for emissions, I live in WA state and my 1992 BNR32 goes through emissions testing every 2 years. I just tested in may. I'm currently putting down 528 to all 4 wheels. I run Sard 720s, HKS 2530s, Apex-i Cams, 87mm pistons, etc and I adust my Apex-i Power FC with a data logit to ensure it passes emissions. I have failed one test out of 4 and thats because I didn't lean it out enough. The best item on the car for passing emissions is the stock catalyzer.

combatwombat00

edthemanjp wrote:As mentioned read the stickies and as always Sean will keep you posted when the 25 year mark gets here and you can import a Skyline legally. The men here know what their talking about

As for emissions, I live in WA state and my 1992 BNR32 goes through emissions testing every 2 years. I just tested in may. I'm currently putting down 528 to all 4 wheels. I run Sard 720s, HKS 2530s, Apex-i Cams, 87mm pistons, etc and I adust my Apex-i Power FC with a data logit to ensure it passes emissions. I have failed one test out of 4 and thats because I didn't lean it out enough. The best item on the car for passing emissions is the stock catalyzer.
damn, i was hoping WA didnt have emissions, i'd like to move there :) Anyways, what engine do you have? SR20? RB20/25/26?
themadscientist wrote:

Not at all. That engine doesn't pass emissions either. Ask the 240-swappers that live in fear of a popop hood pop and keep their KA24 in the shed for inspection time. The government has you, submit.
lol i dont have to submit to the government here in Colorado >:D

uber240times2
Car: 1989 240sx hatch
2003 350z

SR20's did not come in the Skylines, in my personal opinion if your going to get a Skyline, you shouldn't downgrade dramatically.

themadscientist

The SR20 isn't a downgrade if you have an RB20.

edthemanjp

Not all regions of WA have emissions. I wrote BNR32 which is short for R32 Nissan Skyline GTR, and therefore the engine is an RB26. R32s, R33s, and R34s came stock with the RB26s.

combatwombat00

edthemanjp wrote:Not all regions of WA have emissions. I wrote BNR32 which is short for R32 Nissan Skyline GTR, and therefore the engine is an RB26. R32s, R33s, and R34s came stock with the RB26s.
wait, but you said you get tested, with an RB26. how'd you pass? And how does BN = Nissan Skyline GTR?

edthemanjp

I'm telling you facts don't have to understand just believe. You need to read a book on Skylines, you'd have answers to allot of your questions otherwise this could go on forever with every answer leaading to a new line of questioning. Did you read the stickies yet?

edthemanjp

I don't intend to be harsh, but I answered your question about emissions (how did I pass). If you had read you would have caome across this link (http://www.gtrusablog.com ) and had you gone there you'd have enough to read for days. E-BNR32 = R32 GTR, E-BCNR33 = R33 GTR, GF-BNR34 = R34 GTR, these are Nissan vehicle code identification numbers. Everybody usually removes the first E or GF.

E-HNR32 = R32 GTS-4,
E-HCR32 = R32 GTS-t,
E-HR32 = R32 GTS

E-ECR33 = R33 GTS25-t,
E-ER33 = R33 GTS25,
E-HR33 = R33 GTS smallest engine model

GF-ENR34 = R34 GT-FOUR,
GF-ER34 = R34 25GT-t

There are many different models of all makes too many to list but if you read whats posted you will get a lot more information

tyndago

There is no LIST.

The reason they were never sold in the US, is they did not meet FMVSS or EPA requirements.

That's it.

Do I know everything that needs to be changed on a car, or brought into compliance to meet those standards, yes I do.

Would I bother telling anyone,line by line? I have done it in the past, and all the information exists. If you want me to hold your hand, I'll send you an invoice.

truckboy

If you want to enjoy a Skyline in North America, then you need to move to Canada.

themadscientist

That four wheel drive will come in handy.

SkylineKiller
Car: 1994 Honda Civic

Don't Buy a Skyline they are slow as hell. I have a 1994 Honda civic with a Mildly built D16z6, Im putting down close to 150whp. Anyway I was going down the freeway late at night and this f***** in a skyline gtr put his flashers on, so i pulled up next to him and honked my horn. I started getting on it and we were nose to nose but suddenly vtec cracked and i was gone, i pulled on him so hard he probably s*** his Huggies. So dont buy a piece of s*** Skyline and man up and buy a civic.

edthemanjp

SkylineKiller wrote:Don't Buy a Skyline they are slow as hell. I have a 1994 Honda civic with a Mildly built D16z6, Im putting down close to 150whp. Anyway I was going down the freeway late at night and this f***** in a skyline gtr put his flashers on, so i pulled up next to him and honked my horn. I started getting on it and we were nose to nose but suddenly vtec cracked and i was gone, i pulled on him so hard he probably s*** his Huggies. So dont buy a piece of s*** Skyline and man up and buy a civic.
Then, you woke up from your dream. Everybody knows honda owners would rather have a Skyline GTR.

tyndago

SkylineKiller wrote:Don't Buy a Skyline they are slow as hell. I have a 1994 Honda civic with a Mildly built D16z6, Im putting down close to 150whp. Anyway I was going down the freeway late at night and this f***** in a skyline gtr put his flashers on, so i pulled up next to him and honked my horn. I started getting on it and we were nose to nose but suddenly vtec cracked and i was gone, i pulled on him so hard he probably s*** his Huggies. So dont buy a piece of s*** Skyline and man up and buy a civic.
It was probably one of these "Skylines"

the a3k
Car: 1996 Black S14 RB25

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

Image[/quote]

HowlerMonkey
Car: 1991 Infiniti M30 wi/ L28ET

LOL......nice quick hit and run troll post from skylinekiller.

you get a 8 for creativity and another 8 for execution

you earned a solid 10 for resisting the urge to post further......which is one trait lesser trolls are missing.

themadscientist

I helped him resist. :ubanned:

edthemanjp

tyndago wrote:

That is really interesting, look at the amount of work required to make it look like a Skyline GTR. They could own one for the amount of work put into that project

gordonliu
Car: 92 s13 coupe

I am pretty sure that the "simple" one line answer is:

that none but the R33 chassis ever passed the required standardization process at the federal level required for "federalization" of a vehicle.

thus, any state that requires AT LEAST federal (EPA/NHTSA/DOT/whatever else) standards will not title the vehicle.... some states (like CA) require even higher emissions than the federal emissions... This is why some vehicles are sold as being "CA" or "federal" vehicles (usually the distinction is with older vehicles, as newer vehicles are usually up to CA standards for all 50 states)

I will not repeat the story of Motorex, but I will simply say that their retarded and shady business practices forever ruined the situation for anyone who ever wanted to have a R32-R34 GTR in the US, but didnt want to spend >>$50,000 to have it legal and hassle free (at least with respect to jail time/seizures/ridiculous fines)

really, the main 3 categories of R32-R34 owners in the US come are:

1) people who narrowly grabbed one of relative "handful" of legalized vehicles sold through Motorex during their run (which included some R34 and R32s that sneaked by)

these routinely sell for >$40,000 when they do go on sale (which is pretty rare). the extremely small number of fedearlized R34s can sell for >$100,000 in some cases (usually NOT because they have significant modifications to merit that price)

2) people who live in states with lax registration/emissions laws that allow owners to "sneak by." I think GA, FL, and possibly WA fit into these categories. GA is usually represented as being "the best" state for non-federalized R32-R34. I would be willing to bet that the largest population of licensed/titled R32-R34 GTRs (non federalized) are in GA (possibly florida).

3) people who wanted to have a skyline so badly that they were willing to swap vin tags for some other vehicle (super duper illegal), and then get the cars illegally inspected by bribed inspection stations.

the people at the DMV (or AAA or whatever) who go out to your car and look at your vin dont know anything so they are easily fooled.

even the RHD can usually be explained away to these people.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”