Lettuce talk about Miatas

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Jesda

Picked up the silver 2003 NB (112k, one owner) in late July and the 1997 NA (142k) a month ago.

While driving the NB, enjoying all the top-end power, I was convinced that it had the NA beat. But after a while I noticed the ergonomic issues. Shifting into 2nd or 4th would cause my elbow to hit the rear cupholder lid, popping it open almost every time. To fit in the driver's seat I had to remove my wallet and place it in the cupholder each time otherwise the intrusive door arm rest would squeeze against me.

None of these minor flaws bugged me at all until the NA showed up a few weeks later. Both cars were handpicked and meticulously pored over by me, checked head to tail for major defects and driven extensively up and down the track at the dealer auctions. I immediately noticed that the NA was less stiff compared to the NB but also less prone to understeer. Both cars had sticky new summer tires. NA's ride quality was slightly better as well.

The NB's power steering feels sportier and heavier while the NA's feels a bit loose and overboosted. A popular thing to do, of course, is remove the PS hardware from the NA. I drove Christine's '96 R a couple years ago and indeed, power steering is unnecessary on the lighter NA.

The NA also has significantly more interior width thanks to a center stack and console design that's low and out of the way. Head room is greater due to a seat cushion that's lower though slightly less comfortable on the tail bone. The NA's shifter has longer throws but action is smoother, lighter, and more enjoyable to engage, slipping easily through all five gears.

NB's Nardi wheel was perfectly sized and shaped while the NA's wheel was hideous, typical of air bag steering wheels from the 90s.

Additionally, the deeper trunk in the NA is easier to fit my laptop bag and file box in.

In the end, I decided the NA was the better everyday car even though the NB was the stronger performer with a stiffer chassis.

I went back and forth over whether to keep the NA for myself but owning two convertibles is slightly absurd, plus the Saab has four seats and a massive trunk. Then while I was out of town my phone blew up with offers and both cars sold quickly. The decision was made for me. :(

Suddenly, I went from two Miatas to none at all.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Could this recent experience be the tip of the "iceberg" for selling Miata's? ;)

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

I've only ever driven an NA, and I liked how the car felt autoX'n - it's balanced (not tail happy like an s2k) and has enough performance to be fun, but on the street, it is dreadfully slow/under powered. Ergonomics for me were just fine, but I'm only about 5'11".

But, those NA's are fully depreciated. So long as you find them for good prices at auto auctions, you'll be able to flip 'em for a profit!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

A proper alignment ought to tune out that NB's understeer problem.

I like the NB's top a lot better. No f*** around with unzipping the rear window.

Jesda

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:A proper alignment ought to tune out that NB's understeer problem.

I like the NB's top a lot better. No f**king around with unzipping the rear window.
That's a very strong point. My NA didnt have power windows either so getting a full top-down experience was a bit of a chore. With the NB I flipped two latches, tossed it over my head, and BOOM! INSTANT MOTORING PLEASURE.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah pretty much.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/watc ... view-ever/

"The miata top goes down in: One, tw- oh wait, its down".

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Jesda wrote: The NB's power steering feels sportier and heavier while the NA's feels a bit loose and overboosted. A popular thing to do, of course, is remove the PS hardware from the NA. I drove Christine's '96 R a couple years ago and indeed, power steering is unnecessary on the lighter NA.
You were able to drive my NA, too. It has the non-p/s rack, didn't seem to even bother you in regards to steering on the way up to Boston.

Otherwise, the glory of the cabin is that even if you don't have power windows, its very easy to reach the window roller on the passenger side from the drivers seat. Additionally, it only takes 2 revolutions to get the window down (thank you high gear ratio crank).

I could agree that the NA could use slightly more stiffening, but in the same note, the handling never feels sloppy. Its well engineered. If I could get a hold of the stock bracing from an NB car I would likely put it under my NA,. And even though I've researched the hell out of it, I probably won't buy a butterfly brace for my chassis. Maybe some frame rail connectors at best.

I see Tyler is on the lookout for a Miata now, too.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I don't even use my main chassis brace (although I do use the secondary bracing). The stupid downpipe from Corky "I suck at designing absolutely everything" Bell hits it and rattles. I made it a lot better but it still has the occasional knock, so I removed the bracing.

I don't notice TOO much of a difference, but then again, I also have a roll bar that helps to stiffen everything up quite a bit as well.

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

Is yours a legit roll bar, tied into the chassis; or its it a style bar?

My downpipe knocks around on occasion, too. Its a tight space in there. Want to bring that bracing with you on Thanksgiving? I'll put it to good use.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

It'd be tough to get it on the plane haha.

The roll bar bolts into actual real metal on multiple axis (its sort of a high class/expensive style bar)... think of it like an over-kill upper rear strut brace. I also have the factory front strut brace.

You're always better off anytime you can "box in" a structure as opposed to just adding beef to the bottom of it (think of the car without a roll bar like a big rolling U). Adding braces to the top closes in the top of that U. Legit roll cages are even better. They take that box and ad an X to the middle of it, in multiple directions/axis :)

alphapig
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

I agree - NA is master race

I have the 1.6:

Miatas are selling VERY quickly :crazy: :ohno:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Dude that thing looks damn good.

What's she got done to her?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

f*** it. Lettuce post pictures of miatai now.

Me and Raymos at Casa de Raymos.

Pre-suspension drop in Jamestown, Rhode Island.

most of the fleet here in Mississippi (missing my 93 240)

In its natural element.
And possibly my favorite pic, before turbo and anything:

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

My NA R-package was mildly set up for E stock class. It was a fine daily driver even with the mods and since I had a badass short commute to work--it was fine to have as my only car. Once I moved to MD and I started driving to DE back and forth (mostly highway, 100 mi round trip) I realized it was a horrible idea. They're terrible on the highway too...the gearing wasn't ideal and it was sketchy at high speed--especially in inclement weather. The torsen is always scrambling for traction in rain/slushy snow and even though I had my friend tone down the autocross alignment it still darted all over the place. Like Looneybomber said, it's great on the track but in regular driving and especially highway driving, you constantly have to downshift just to keep from getting run over. No fun. I was also too short for it.. believe it or not. My forearms would hurt from being in such a upright pose all the time. Bleh. Also, I never took the hard top off my NA because the ride was AWFUL. The windshield would shake so much it felt like the car was going to explode into bits...way too much flex. I'm sure it could be alleviated with a real roll bar but the hardtop was cheap and easier to put on...it just transformed the car.

NB: I drove my co-worker's 2000 LS model down some twisty roads a few months ago. He bought it with a RB header, mid pipe and cat back. I loved the seating position, it was slightly higher but still sporty. It had more torque and just felt like a easier car to drive through traffic as well. I was driving it with the top down and the windshield wasn't trying to shake itself off. I've also ridden in a friend's NB from DE to NYC 4-5 years ago and no complaints...I felt comfortable and the car felt solid. It has more road presence (as in I think people actually saw us) NA's rattle and feel very tinny and no one sees you...which can be good and bad. I always felt close to death in that car whenever I passed a tractor trailer. :chuckle:
IMO, the NB has a bigger trunk than the NA because the spare is under the carpet vs the NA where they had the spare take 25% of the trunk by placing it in the corner. :facepalm:

NC: I just autocrossed a very well prepped STR class 2006 model this past Sunday. A little tail happy but nothing some shock settings or stickier tires could fix (end of the season...owner said they were getting a little worn out). I loved it! More torque! The Greddy muffler/Racing Beat mid pipe and RB header sounded mean and bassy!
The redline was bumped up to 7600 with some tuning. What I hated: It's like the NA where I'm too short to see s***! The A pillar AND the side mirror were always in my line of sight when I was looking ahead (I was sitting on a goddamn pillow too but in a Sparco fixed seat) and the windshield got smaller (for safety reasons I presume). Interior feels really cheap compared to an NA but tons of cubbies! One behind each seat, one in between the seats and a regular sized glove box. I think with a higher seat position I would rock one actually. Trunk size is like the NB but goes down a little farther (no spare).

I'm excited for the next Miata. Rumors are Mazda is going to make it lighter than the NC, probably going to have that aggressive Kodo styling too. :woot:

ADDirishboy
Car: 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x

frapjap wrote:
Jesda wrote: I see Tyler is on the lookout for a Miata now, too.
Yup. Was gonna buy a 94 today. Guy was asking $2100 for it. Mechanically it was flawless. Motor ran perfect and she was a blast to drive. Body had some slight hail damage but nothing I couldn't fix, especially with a paint booth at my disposal.

I was just about to go pick it up when the guy called me saying he got an offer for $3k. No thanks, I'm not paying that much for something with hail damage. Oh well.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Shall we?

Here's my DD:

2005 MSM, bought from original owner at 58k miles. With the help of local Mazda wrench James (greenblurr93), I've added most of the FM Little Enchilada kit, Magnaflow catback, Hard Dog roll bar, Tein coilovers, front splitter, as well as frame rails and butterfly brace. 15x8 +20 wheels with 205/50 Direzza Zii tires, Hawk HP pads.

I modded my D seat pretty extensively to gain more room and more lateral support (pretty easy). Seat feels like a hard core race bucket now.

The Bose system is as big a joke as has ever been foisted on the motoring public, but the turbo makes plenty of sweet sounds.

You can't go wrong with an NA, but I much prefer the refinement of the NB.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I don't own a Zoom-zoom, but I've been in a ton of them as they are a popular trackday car. Greg's Miata looks similar to the one I had with a student at Watkins Glen recently. Same color and modded including a roll-bar. Although my student's car did not have the FM little enchilada kit, I compensated by consuming several enchiladas the night before :) But what a delightful car. The turbos are certainly worthwhile as it makes the uphills less of a struggle, but the wonderful handling and balance are intoxicating.
Here it is:

I have no real preference between NA or NB as each has its own virtues, but the NB is a tad more civilized and probably a better choice than an NA for cheap DD duties.

Jesda

NB's raised trunk floor (due to the concealed spare) makes loading boxes and packages darn near impossible, particularly my file box full of titles and forms that follows me around town. I do a lot of off-site car deals and the storage issue was becoming a nuisance.

I took the NA on a 90-minute drive to deliver it to a happy customer. It never felt darty and I was able to sustain 75-85mph with no effort though the revs were high at those speeds. I cranked up the unexpectedly powerful factory tape deck, put the top down, and enjoyed myself. Maybe the R-package is geared differently? The '97 I sold was a pretty decent highway cruiser -- not on par with a Saab, Lexus, or Cadillac but pretty darn good for a lightweight roadster. If it had cruise control I could see doing several hours without any issues.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Yeah, the gearing is a huge issue on the NB as well. I had a 2000 SE for all of a month. Driving it back from LA, running 5k rpms in 6th gear, seemed ridiculous to me.

My MSM is somewhat better, but I still don't understand why they couldn't have stretched out the ratios a little more. James addressed it with taller tires, but that's a sucky option.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

You're a sucky option!!!

Ozzie can ship us 3.6 rear diffs :)

I honestly have no problem with the miata as a highway cruiser. Maybe my alignment and tire balance is better, but I've driven it across the country more than once without issue.

Speaking of sucky options, I ditched my spare tire in favor of more trunk space (I like to be able to go shopping with it and buy a gallon of milk without having to tip on its side to get it home). Toss in a plug kit instead.

AZhitman
Administrator

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Ozzie can ship us 3.6 rear diffs :)

I honestly have no problem with the miata as a highway cruiser. Maybe my alignment and tire balance is better, but I've driven it across the country more than once without issue.

Speaking of sucky options, I ditched my spare tire in favor of more trunk space (I like to be able to go shopping with it and buy a gallon of milk without having to tip on its side to get it home). Toss in a plug kit instead.
3.6 means I give up some off-the-line action. No gracias, amigo.

Fresh alignment, fresh road force balance. My issue is just the rpm's, not the ride. It needs a 7th gear... 5k+ rpms at [my] freeway speeds is teh suck.

Think I may follow suit on the spare tirectomy. Weight reduction ftw.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

AZhitman wrote:[

Think I may follow suit on the spare tirectomy. Weight reduction ftw.
I personally wouldn't do that. If that little zoomzoom is gonna be used on the street, I'm not sure I see the amount of benefit of saving 20(?) lbs of spare tire weight being worth the increased money/time/hassle if you get a flat tire away from home.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I just have people I can call.

If I ever got a flat on the back, I'd be screwed anyway. I'd basically have to swap both my front wheels to the back and then put the 1 good wheel on the front and 1 spare (due to my rear tire size difference). I wouldn't want to screw up my diff.

Greg you should have plenty of off the line scoot anyway, with the turbo an all. I lose a lot of time just shifting ha. Holding the gears longer would be that much better. Once I went and sold my 3.9 torsen, I'd pretty much be breaking even on the 3.6 torsen, minus shipping costs anyway. Its definitely on my future upgrade list.

AZhitman
Administrator

Yeah, that's the benefit of having extra vehicles. I'd just AAA it on a flatbed home (free) and deal with it there.

Besides, there's only like 3 weeks out of the year when I'd swap a tire on the side of the road anyway. :) Plus, that scissors jack and little lug wrench don't get much accomplished.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Understood, but in my situation, if my wife had a flat tire away from home, and she found out I removed the spare just I could shave .005 seconds off my acceleration, making her only option waiting to being towed by AAA if she develops a tire pr0blem, I'd be in the dog house. And having spare cars at home means little if she's sitting on the road at night in the middle of nowhere in need of a spare tire. Guess I've been married a long time. ;)

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

AZhitman wrote:Yeah, that's the benefit of having extra vehicles. I'd just AAA it on a flatbed home (free) and deal with it there.

Besides, there's only like 3 weeks out of the year when I'd swap a tire on the side of the road anyway. :) Plus, that scissors jack and little lug wrench don't get much accomplished.

Hey now! Those two tools saved my a** a couple of years ago when I ran some tires to the steel for the hell of it. The jack picks up the car with no problem and the itty-bitty lug wrench is all you need to pop off the nuts.

Mazda engineers must've been all like, "whats the smallest lug wrench we can put in this car and still be effective?"

AZhitman
Administrator

Bubba1 wrote:Understood, but in my situation, if my wife had a flat tire away from home, and she found out I removed the spare just I could shave .005 seconds off my acceleration, making her only option waiting to being towed by AAA if she develops a tire pr0blem, I'd be in the dog house. And having spare cars at home means little if she's sitting on the road at night in the middle of nowhere in need of a spare tire. Guess I've been married a long time. ;)
:)

The Miata is the first car I've had that Bex isn't overly fond of - I think she's driven it twice.

Then again, she has the two fastest cars in the household, so it's not really a surprise. :)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Bubba1 wrote:my wife
Well there's your problem right there!!!!

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

All this darn Miata talk and Jesda still hasn't bought one?

Let's try reverse psychology: JESDA DON'T BUY ONE. THEY SUCK. THEY'RE AWFUL.

Heck all of this schooling on them has even made me reconsider my position on owning one. I'm going to look at a NA that a friend is selling tomorrow afternoon. If we can agree upon a deal it may just follow me home.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Results?

Return to “General Chat”