Legality of splicing part of an R34 onto another chassis?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Spartan089
Car: 2007 Ford Mustang

I know its still illegal to assemble an r34 chassis (or any skyline chassis for that matter) even with a different engine and transmission, but would it be illegal to splice a half cut of a skyline onto another chassis? Let's say the roof, doors, and rear section onto another chassis, then modifying the rest of the car to look like an r34. So in essence it would look like a r34 on the outside but have a different chassis. Would it still be considered a skyline and illegal?

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

No not skyline,no not legal,but a good front clip,weld-on and drive it like ya stole it,untill Dot comes and find you

Spartan089

Granted, I believe it would be less of an issue than a "real" skyline. What would be the best base chassis to use? Maybe a 240sx?

JTR32gtst

People take S13 chassis 240 SX and convert the front end to look like an R32 since they are close. I have seen one with the headlights, fenders, front bumper cover and hood from an R32 and it looked really close.

Spartan089

Granted that would be nice if I'm going for a 32 look, but I'm trying to go for a full r34 conversion ( aesthetically at least) .

JTR32gtst

Why? Why pay more for a look.

Wait til next year and actually import a real Skyline..It is an R32, but the R34 was an updated look of the R32 anyways....

But, waste your money on headlights and body panels.

Spartan089

Because some people prefer looks, though thats not to say I can't have preformance too since I can just drop in a RB25/26. In addition I don't want that added headache of having a real skyline confiscated by DOT. I was originally looking to see if there was a full fiberglass kit for the R34 however it seems there is non, which is surprising seeing as how popular that car is. If there is I'd like to know however.
Last edited by Spartan089 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

Stupid Idea. waste of time and money. You will pay an arm and a leg for your parts then your head and torso for the body work. Then after this s*** tastic disaster is done you will have to sell your nuts to buy the real thing a few years later. Just save money and wait. R34's are probably going to get more expensive once 2024 comes around so start saving now.

Spartan089

Waiting 11 years for a car that will be really dated by then, despite how much I like it's look, seems like a stupid idea to me. I just came on her for technical advise or if others have tried something similar.

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

If you don't love the car enough to wait 11 years then I think you are in the wrong place buddy. You have one thing correct, it will be outdated, but try that arguement with classic car lovers. They don't play with the rides b/c they are technologically current. This page is for folks that MOSTLY woship this car. Move along...and take that idea with you.

Cannonball996

sounds like a huge waste of money, you could probably by a new GTR for what you are looking at spending on a fake one. or better yet move somewhere where you could legally own one, probably cheaper too.

JTR32gtst

Spartan089 wrote:Waiting 11 years for a car that will be really dated by then, despite how much I like it's look, seems like a stupid idea to me. I just came on her for technical advise or if others have tried something similar.

Sooo, basically all the people restoring old muscle cars is a stupid idea because they are outdated?

I am assuming you will be using an S Chassis car for conversion...those are aging quite a bit...

And I am sorry, but saying dropping in an RB25/26 in a 240 is the same as a Skyline has to be the most ignorant statement ever made. That is like saying putting in a huge V-8 in a Camero is the same as a Corvette. The entire chassis and characteristics are completely different. They may look the same and share some parts, but the cars are two different monsters. If you want the look of something and waste your time and money, put lambo doors on a Civic with underglow....

Spartan089

I understand your sentiments on here, and I could have phrased it better. The point is I like the look now and I'm not sure if its something I'm going to enjoy driving 11 years from now compared to cars then, not taking into account other factors. I know enough that I will get no help here with want I want to do. I was advised somewhere else that I should build a tube chassis and overlay the skyline panels on that, which seems like a sensible idea. I was hoping to get at least some sort of input here, but I guess if I have any questions regarding a "real" skyline, I'll come back here.

Cannonball996

its not illegal to graft fenders and other body parts onto a different car, or even your own chassis, but be realistic you are going to drop some major money and time on something that is just going to be for show, sure it might be street legal but would you really be able to drive it on the street with out messing it up? doubt it. if you really just wanted an r34 to look at, just bring one over in a container and leave it in your garage.

Noctis
Car: BNR32 GTR

Wow, this seems like a very hard task to accomplish, and to be honest i don't think the end product would look anything like you hope for. In fact it would look very, very bad.

Your major issue would be finding a donor chasis of the revelent dimensions. S chassis are ruled out because they have a much shorter wheel basis. Not only this but the roof height is also lower so i'm not sure how that would work out.

Your best bet is getting an R32 skyline and buying an R32-R34 front conversion kit.
Because the dimensions of the panels are similar, you can find conversion panels for the front end. See below, the white panels are the custom and would only cost around 4k all up.

JTR32gtst

Spartan089 wrote:I understand your sentiments on here, and I could have phrased it better. The point is I like the look now and I'm not sure if its something I'm going to enjoy driving 11 years from now compared to cars then, not taking into account other factors. I know enough that I will get no help here with want I want to do. I was advised somewhere else that I should build a tube chassis and overlay the skyline panels on that, which seems like a sensible idea. I was hoping to get at least some sort of input here, but I guess if I have any questions regarding a "real" skyline, I'll come back here.
Awesome idea.

wayne984
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35
rebadged to the nissan skyline 350gt

Here is a link to one that someone in Japan did cause they liked the look and used the look. I imagine if you did an r34 conversion to an s Chasis it would look very similar to this. If you still like the look then go for it. The joy of living in a "free" country.
http://blog.gtroc.com/dino/2005/09/the_s14_silvia.php

I was considering doing this for quite a while, but I'll probably sell my s14 and get an r32 as they will become legal thanks to the 25 year rule that the dotaand nhtsa have.
Best of luck in your decision.

Zymol75
Car: R50 Pathfinder Q swapped

Apparently this forum is very much like Corvette forums... don't come here and be creative in achieving your own ideas, (R34 looking creation) or you get jumped on by all the large cocks who are just as upset they don't have one either.

With a nice vaca trip to Japan and a few days taking measurements/specs/photos you could come back here to the US, find a similiar, VERY good condition chassis of whatever you wanted, cut the crap out of it and graft a full tube chassis on and in... and then take the full outer shell of a chopped up JDM spec R34, ship it here, and then bolt it all on to your "customized" (whatever chassis you chose) and who gives a s*** whether it's real or not. It's yours. You enjoy it. THAT''s what matters.

I'm seriously searching for an original 72 GT-R, to drop my (already imported here) RB26 into and I'm being lectured about how I should get another model and not hurt a real GT-R cause some other guy would enjoy it more as an original... Frik the other guy. I want what I want. I'm sorry if someone doesn't like loaded cheese fries or doesn't eat venison either but that's stuff is damn good.

I say do what you want and screw anyone who gives you s*** about it. There will always be people who think they make the rules (even when they don't even know the rules) and if you don't agree they have the right to lecture how you are wrong. Do enough research to make sure you get all right the first go and then do it!

Hell hit me up and I'll help you. Even better find a good Honda chassis and use that... REALLY piss some people off. Just be sure not to label it as any official badge. Do it right and it would take a serious expert to even see an incorrect detail. haha!

Zymol75
Car: R50 Pathfinder Q swapped

on a side note... The problem I see with comparing a classic heritage car that is NOW 25-45 years old as in a early 70's Z or a 60's American muscle car vs a currently modern car such as a R34 Vspec... is this. They (60's-70's) are real metal and have solid, heavy, mechanical parts. The new stuff is mostly electronic, has cheap materials and plastic parts, sourced from sketchy. not meant to last, parts manufacturers, extremely over engineered and made to break so the dealers can get the returning service work and the manufacture can sell more parts.

68 Camaro parts are more readily available than some 90's Toyota Camry parts. Does anyone really think there will be many, if any, parts seriously available for a 30 year old Nissan that barely had the interior materials quality of a Pulsar NX?? Even the engineering in the RB motors is so fragile, the performance parts are only gonna help if you re-engineer the wheel, and fix the oiling and design flaws that are built into the parts. Do you know why the Supra can handle 900 HP on a stock bottom end?? IT'S A TOYOTA!!!! Their designs are all made to be eternal. It's stupid how well engineered the Toyota stuff is.

Part of the awesomeness of Nissan performance is the techy, raw, sporty nature of them. They are on the edge. They are high strung. The Tundra is damn near bulletproof to the point of being boring...The Titan sucks the money from your wallet through the gas tank, then isn't even that tough and def CAN'T pull the weight of the other big 4 brands it tries to compete with. That's ok though. We don't buy Nissan as Maytags. We buy them as bright red, front load, super capacity, personal space laundromats. Nissan is fun, cool, interesting, enthralling, energetic. Those things are fleeting emotions and aren't meant to last. Use it, consume it, and purchase more when empty. Same for the cars.

I dare say there won't be much in the way of cars to choose from when you can easily import a rear R34 and it def won't be a V spec. They will have been consumed by age and wear and they were designed to be. Anyone seen a 10 yr old top of the line Infinity or a R35 GT-R with a 100k miles on it? It's trashed. The parts are worn down and out and it is sloppy as hell. And to restore a R35??? You may as well buy a new one. The parts would cost more than the new car (if you could even get them), and it would never link with your iPhone X or Galaxy SX Stellar Edition (potential phones in 2025... lol)

Elusivemax93
Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima SE TK3 VE30DE-5 speed

Its nothing different then http://www.maxima.org and how people love to flame others for being creative and doing something outside the box. I myself am doing a gtst 4 door front and rear end conversion on my nissan maxima. Go ahead to those who would like to flame me. I dont care i am doing the next best thing while the 4 door and 2 door R34 becomes 25 years old. I have my front core support with hood and fenders. And am waiting for an importer of parts to find me a deregistered 4 door skyline to cut me the rear half. Then to gather the front bumper, rear bumper lip, and side skirts I want. Yes I know its mad expensive but what makes me happy and also is something different to the scene unlike all the same thing hondas/acura's and commonly tuned cars. Is what makes this reason so much better to me. In my opinion don't allow those who haven't thought of it or had the balls to do it slow you down.

GTST 4 door front core support :D

P.S. How many remember the issue of Import Tuner with the honda accord with r34 skyline front end on it? How people you think flamed them for it yet they still did it. Why? Because its what made them happy and look it got them on the cover of a magazine.

gtr324
Car: 1989 GTR324

Getting the right parts and fitment are the toughest job, but you can still do it as I've done on my GTR32. It's called a bee-r324 and they use it for D1 Drifting competition in Japan. Image

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”