Left Front Knocking Sound Drivin' Me Nutz.....

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
gkanz
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

Greetings to all. This is my first time here so I will try to keep my issues short and hope that someone may be able to offer me some help or ideas that can help me solve it. My son bought this 2003 Infiniti G35 about 4 maybe 5 yrs ago. I just recently was told by him that it had been in an accident prior to him buying. The thing is this what has now become a loud clunking sound coming from (what seems to me) in the wheel well. It'll clunk while backing up, going over bumps and just straight driving. Its now starting to get louder. We were told by different auto service people that it was the lower control arm bushing which we both took the job on and replaced both. The new parts did atleast allow my son to get his wheels aligned which wasn't possible with the bad bushings. But the clunks still continue, no more-no less. The thing is while the alignment was being done the mechanic noticed that the left upper control arm didn't look right and that he thought it might be the wrong one. He didn't go any further except for the alignment. Yesterday I went and pushed dwn and pulled up on the left side wheel well 'till I got it clunking. I then put my hand on the upper control arm while I did the same and I could actually feel the clunk going thru the control arm. Visually the bushings look fine same as the ball joint. Is it possible that a rgt side control arm could have been used on the left side? or that its for the coupe instead of the sedan? or can it be something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. So sorry for the length of this, I don't think I could have explained it any other way. Thank You. gk

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

It's possible they have the wrong one on or it's on the wrong side...not sure if they are stamped R and L but I would look and see.

gkanz
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

Thanx for getting back on this issue. It's been a nightmare of getting a couple of bad diagnosis' from people (mechanic's?????) at Infiniti that only cost us money and huge efforts at replacing these front end parts (we did work ourselves). Anyhow, yes, previous people who did work on car did use a a right side upper control arm instead of the left. Parts are definitly different. Before we started to get ready for that job my son wanted to go back to Infiniti (they said they wouldn't charge him for another look-see because of the "mis-diagnosis') to make sure the upper control arm is the problem. The newest diagnosis which my son watched as they (3 "mechanics") showed him where the noise was coming from. It was the inner drivers side tie rod. Can you believe it ??? Well, thats where we're at. Thanx again for your reply. Have a Happy Thanks giving.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Suspension can be a annoying thing to troubleshoot when it's just noises. Mine squeaks in cold weather and is quite annoying...I think it's the poly bushings of the Hotchkis sway bar. Little bit of grease should fix it.

Anyway, happy Tday to you as well.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”