LED Upgrade Project + Dome Light Conversion

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
infinitiandbeyond
Car: 2007 M35x

AD1787
Car: 2007 M45 Sport Twilight Blue

Awesome post. Thanks for all the info

I would love to see people's reaction to your backup lights. It would be fun just to throw it into reverse at a stop light and scare the crap out of the people behind you

I was wondering on the footwell light if the one stated in your post ended up being significantly brighter and worth the effort. I feel like i should be a gymnast to change that bulb.

infinitiandbeyond

Good question. I should point out that I did not put the black lenses back into place yet. So, I have very bright footwells at the moment!

I took a pic of one of the clear lenses from the trunk and emailed it to a couple of online suppliers. Too pricey IMO to just buy two clear lenses.

However, superbrightleds.com has a good selection of single led's. I'd recommend those for that particular location. You could then drill a hole in the black lens and put it back into place. A clear one to diffuse the light somewhat would be nice, though.

Bruno
Car: 2008 M35x

Wow, excellent write up and great pix and narrative. Looks great.

infinitiandbeyond

AN IMPORTANT UPDATE!! The 14-LED high power CANNOT be used for parking lights up front. There will be an issue with heat.

The alternative, which I've seen others here use, is the standard 27-led.

M4T5
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

DUDE! Your car is going to MELT!

J

abhik.light
Car: Mercedes

It was a excellent write up and good information.

M4T5
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

So..... will the V-LED #921_14_HP_W rear reverse lights increase the light intensity and help you see better than the OEM back up lights?

I keep reading mixed opinions on this issue.

J

Excellent09

Thanks for the link...Can the fog lights be replaces with LED?

paigoomein

I have the same question on the back-up lights. are they actually brighter than OEM and do they provide better visibility? any comparison pics you can put up of the two?
M4T5 wrote:So..... will the V-LED #921_14_HP_W rear reverse lights increase the light intensity and help you see better than the OEM back up lights?

I keep reading mixed opinions on this issue.

J

infinitiandbeyond

Backups ARE certainly brighter than OEM. Both through the backup cam and turning and looking backward.

As far as replacing front FOGS, i also did that but the "jury is still out". Again, it depends on if you are after looks (these will do the trick!) or better lighting performance.

As another poster pointed out, they are just fog lights...use in fog or rainy conditions.

I don't know that I'll keep the LED's in my fogs. I may put that money into better headlight bulbs.

blazin_lo
Car: infiniti m35x vip

is there anyway to make the m35 daytime running lights white or hid

DaleHeller
Car: 07 M35, Obsidian Black

I did the fog lights with H11 from V-Leds.com and the effect is awesome, much brighter and matches the other leds I put in....

They are mucho fun to replace too ....

cmark
Car: 2006 M35 Sport

^^^^

pics please!!

YMm45
Car: m45 s

looks great i think this is my next project to my M

choochmpls

infinitiandbeyond wrote:AN IMPORTANT UPDATE!! The 14-LED high power CANNOT be used for parking lights up front. There will be an issue with heat.

The alternative, which I've seen others here use, is the standard 27-led.
Did you have an issue with the hi power 14led's? The housing also holds the high beam halogen, which would seem like it would be WAY hotter than any LED light. Why shouldn't we use the Hi power 14 led?

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

The domelight/map bulbs are NOT 1157 (these are much too large to fit). Sylvania's site lists the bulb as either a 7443 or 3175 but neither of these is a twist and lock bulb as pictured in the original post in this thread. Does anyone know # this bulb is?

infinitiandbeyond

It actually might be an 1156 instead. Best bet is to take it out and into the store.

Sylvania's reference to a "dome" light only applies to rear seat lights, a "Festoon" type DE3157.

ajgsport7
Car: Infinti M35 Sport

what is the V-led model # of the 27 led model i should buy for the "driving light"?I would love a "cool" white effect any reccomendations? that wont have issues with heat?

08m35
Car: M35

GREAT post and awesome pictures. This is diffently one of the best posts i've seen.

rsg123

The domelight bulbs are BA9S. Instead of permanently modifying the posts and connections as shown in this guide, just buy one of the LED arrays on eBay which offer adapters for different types of bulbs. Just search for BA9S. The installation took me about 2 minutes and I have 24 SMD LEDs (you could cram even more in there, but this produced more than adequate lighting).

infinitiandbeyond

Pics?

About Tree Fiddy
Car: 2012 550i

I just completed my LED upgrade and wanted to thank infinitiandbeyond for the original post which took most of the work out of doing the upgrades.

I started about 4 months ago and changed out the front parking lamps, the trunk lights, backup light, license plate light and door courtesy puddle lights. Because I didn't want to permanently modify my new M35S I stopped short of doing the interior lights. Well, when this post was revived it motivated me to complete the job.

First thing I did was pop the DIY 30 SMT W's out of the trunk lights. Because they were just loosely floating around behind the diffuser lens you could always see that the LED panels were crooked. I put a small amount of clear, high-tech polymer adhesive/caulking on the edges of the LED panels and stuck it to the diffuser lenses. Now the LED's panels are lined up nice parallel to the top and bottom of the lens. Probably a little AR, but it looks more professional now.

Next to the interior. The rear 16 LED - 3175_16_SMT_W were plug and play. On to the front dome/maps lights. I took rsg123's suggestion of using an array and used the same 30 LED - DIY 30 SMT W I used in the trunk with the supplied adapter. You can get similar LED's on ebay but V-LED's gives me such good service I just ordered them from there and had them in 2 days. Note, if you use the DIY 30 SMT W from V-LED's with the supplied adapter they won't work out of the box because the polarity is backwards on the adapter. You need to gently pry or pull the 3-pin connector off the adapter and flip it around 180º and push it back on then they will work fine.

While the look of the LED's pressed up against the diffuser lens is fine for the trunk I really didn't want that look in the dome lights. To get around this I just used the existing post in the housing (the one infinitiandbeyond ground off in his installation) to "mount" the LED panel. To do this just used the same polymer adhesive I used in the trunk and stuck the back of LED panel to the bottom of the post. This recesses the array to about the same depth as the original bulb and give a much more diffuse light instead of seeing the 30 individual light sources as you see in the trunk. Plus, it is completely reversible if you ever need/want to go back.

I didn't bother with the footwell lights since I have never noticed they were there plus I forgot to order any LED's for them. Maybe later.

Anyway, the interior is really bright and really white now.

DRIPS
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

great stuff all!!!

BRIANxJDM
Car: 07 G35 Sedan Sport

ay man wheree you get the mounting thing at?

infinitiandbeyond

Brian,

Great question. Go to http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html for the festoon bulb sockets if that is what you are referring to.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

That is great I really like the enhanced light from the array setups. I have seen many people with simple ebay sets and the light saturation is weak.

Thanks for the hard work.

mcp6530
Car: 2006 M35x Navitech

infinitiandbeyond wrote:Backups ARE certainly brighter than OEM. Both through the backup cam and turning and looking backward.

As far as replacing front FOGS, i also did that but the "jury is still out". Again, it depends on if you are after looks (these will do the trick!) or better lighting performance.

As another poster pointed out, they are just fog lights...use in fog or rainy conditions.

I don't know that I'll keep the LED's in my fogs. I may put that money into better headlight bulbs.
What did you use specifically for your fog lights? The conversion kit H11 or something else? I don't need more light, just a better looking light than the stock junk. Thanks!

rsg123

About Tree Fiddy wrote:
I didn't bother with the footwell lights since I have never noticed they were there plus I forgot to order any LED's for them. Maybe later.
I would suggest doing this. I replaced the footwell bulbs with white SMD LEDs and removed the black tinted lens. The white light on the black carpets and your shoes is very nice. With the tinting removed, you will definitely notice the lights. It's just a shame I drive my car 95% during daytime so I can't appreciate the lighting upgrades (or the awesome adaptive headlights).

infinitiandbeyond

No conversion since they are already H11. I might suggest these...

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior....html

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”