LED "NISSAN" emblem write-up

All things Altima Coupe.
bina12834
Car: 06 G35 coupe

found this on the "other" forum....pretty sweet....all credit goes to "TITEALTY" from the "other" forum for doing this and the write-up.....

"after i installed my LED door handles everyone asked me for a write up. I didnt have one so made sure to do one on my this project. "my LED front grille emblem". IM me if you have any questions .. hope you like.OK... lets get started.. things you will need...-Dremel rotary tool or equivalent tool-different sized routing bits-epoxy(preferably clear) with mixing tube for easy application (see pic)-masking tape-led strips( $10 off ebay)-your emblem of course-strip of automotive tint 20% 1"x8"-reflective tape(or chrome vinyl)-white vinylstep 1...drill out the inside of the letters using a rotary tool.. here is a video of me drilling out the "I" in NISSAN.. dont lose the little triangle piece from the letter "A". it'll look weird if you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

step 2...place strip of tint behind the letters on the inside of the emblem.. this step is to give the letters a black stock look while making it transparent. step 3...tape some tissue paper behind the tint to keep it in place...step 4...lay it it on a flat surface and get your epoxy ready (this picture has the epoxy with the recommended application tube)step 5...now. this step requires a steady hand.. after replacing the tiny triangle for the letter "A" ,attach the mixing tube to the epoxy container and gently squeeze the epoxy into the letters you drilled out..i recommend discarding the few drops of the epoxy for it may contain bubbles from mixing.(MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERFILL).. let it cure and you have a transparent nissan emblem..sorry for the blurry pix guys.. my camera sucksstep 6...line the inside of the emblem with reflective tape to keep as much of the light inside the emblem as much as possible.. i used chrome vinyl.. make sure not to cover the letters.step 7...lights!... here are a few pix of the LED strips i bought off ebay for $10 for four.. run the lights through the holes where the clips on either side used to go.. now place white vinyl on the grill itself as shown.. this reflects all the light and gives you that crisp solid white glow.. any white material can be used if vinyl isnt available..now add all four lights on the topside of the lettering.. through trial and error i found that mounting the lights above the letters looks the best..i tried mounting them directly behind and mounting them below the letters. but with both methods the LEDs could be seen.. mounting them above seems to be the best way to hide them. step 8...make your wires look all pretty.. i added connectors to the ends just incase i need to remove my grille again i could disconnect the wires instead of clipping them. note since i removed the mounting clips on either side of the emblem i zip tied it back into place..it works pretty good. see pichere are the wires i ran from the dome lights to my LED door handles and now to my lighted emblemnow reassemble and YOU'RE SET!!!!!! ENJOY here is a short video of the finishing product .. i know its really dark but i will update with a better video soon.. tune in next week for a custom amp rack write up.lol

also here is vid of my door handles (for those who havent seen)..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded"

Modified by bina12834 at 9:55 AM 5/1/2009
Modified by bina12834 at 5:21 PM 5/1/2009

guitarist982
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE w/ CVT

None of the photos are working for me

karu11
Car: '08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE Black

so um, yea, the links weren't linked right..

the abbreviated links likehttp://i586.photobucket.com/al...6.jpg

literally tried to bring you to: http://i586.photobucket.com/al...6.jpg

and not the literal link. but on the other hand awesome info.

bina12834

fixed...

resized the pics and hosted them myself.

guitarist982
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE w/ CVT

Much better.

Definitely an interesting mod. I'd have to see it in person to really judge the quality. Pretty unique, though.

Here's a thought I've been toying around with ... stock emblem but says 'nismo'. I attempted once filling in with a sandable epoxy but my painting quality was bad. Now you've got contempltating again, but dremeling it out and lighting up the letters with the different colors.

Pree
Car: 2.5 Nissan Altima Coupe

the door handles are lookin sick.

dunno if im about the led emblem tho...

nice work either way.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

bina12834 wrote:found this on the "other" forum....pretty sweet....all credit goes to "TITEALTY" from the "other" forum for doing this and the write-up.....

"after i installed my LED door handles everyone asked me for a write up. I didnt have one so made sure to do one on my this project. "my LED front grille emblem". IM me if you have any questions .. hope you like.OK... lets get started.. things you will need...-Dremel rotary tool or equivalent tool-different sized routing bits-epoxy(preferably clear) with mixing tube for easy application (see pic)-masking tape-led strips( $10 off ebay)-your emblem of course-strip of automotive tint 20% 1"x8"-reflective tape(or chrome vinyl)-white vinyl

step 1...drill out the inside of the letters using a rotary tool.. here is a video of me drilling out the "I" in NISSAN.. dont lose the little triangle piece from the letter "A". it'll look weird if you do

step 2...place strip of tint behind the letters on the inside of the emblem.. this step is to give the letters a black stock look while making it transparent.

step 3...tape some tissue paper behind the tint to keep it in place...step 4...lay it it on a flat surface and get your epoxy ready (this picture has the epoxy with the recommended application tube)

step 5...now. this step requires a steady hand.. after replacing the tiny triangle for the letter "A" ,attach the mixing tube to the epoxy container and gently squeeze the epoxy into the letters you drilled out..i recommend discarding the few drops of the epoxy for it may contain bubbles from mixing.(MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERFILL).. let it cure and you have a transparent nissan emblem..sorry for the blurry pix guys.. my camera sucks

step 6...line the inside of the emblem with reflective tape to keep as much of the light inside the emblem as much as possible.. i used chrome vinyl.. make sure not to cover the letters.step 7...lights!... here are a few pix of the LED strips i bought off ebay for $10 for four..

run the lights through the holes where the clips on either side used to go.. now place white vinyl on the grill itself as shown.. this reflects all the light and gives you that crisp solid white glow.. any white material can be used if vinyl isnt available..

now add all four lights on the topside of the lettering.. through trial and error i found that mounting the lights above the letters looks the best..i tried mounting them directly behind and mounting them below the letters. but with both methods the LEDs could be seen.. mounting them above seems to be the best way to hide them.

step 8...make your wires look all pretty.. i added connectors to the ends just incase i need to remove my grille again i could disconnect the wires instead of clipping them. note since i removed the mounting clips on either side of the emblem i zip tied it back into place..it works pretty good. see pic

here are the wires i ran from the dome lights to my LED door handles and now to my lighted emblem

now reassemble and YOU'RE SET!!!!!! ENJOY here is a short video of the finishing product .. i know its really dark but i will update with a better video soon.. tune in next week for a custom amp rack write up.lol

also here is vid of my door handles (for those who havent seen)..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded"

Modified by bina12834 at 9:55 AM 5/1/2009
wow mad skills! that is really nice!! you should make a batch and sell them

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

That's a sweet mod! Do you have a write up on the door handles?

EDIT: On step 4 and 5, you basically cut a dark piece of tint the width of the inside of the emblem and place it there and used tissue to keep in place while you do step five? The you take the epoxy and squirt it in the cut out of each letter, while being careful of not over filling? And what do you use to keep that triangle of the A in place while you're doing this?

And do you have any pics of Step 6?

phobs

Super props, I love seeing custom fabrication. The door handles are awesome.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

+1 for creativity+1 for it not being a hackjob+1 for a great final result!

I assume you could do it with red or any other color leds for that matter... And that the emblem could be painted before this process to make it even more customized!

I have an extra grill emblem, bina if you are willing to do one for me ill take care of you!

DAAN.

This is an excellent modification. Too bad you're not local, I'd have paid you to install them for me.

A+ idea and execution

surmanm
Car: 2008 nissan altima coupe 3.5 se

LongBeachCoupe wrote:I have an extra grill emblem, bina if you are willing to do one for me ill take care of you!
hahahah Brian always trying to get free s***

Pawn
Car: 2008 Dark Slate Altima Coupe 3.5 CVT

bina12834 wrote:found this on the "other" forum....pretty sweet....all credit goes to "TITEALTY" from the "other" forum for doing this and the write-up.....
For those of you who can't read..

Pree

surmanm wrote:
hahahah Brian always trying to get free s***

bina12834

Pawn wrote:
For those of you who can't read..
+1.....thank you!!! i guess people dont read....they only like to look at the pretty pitcures....lol

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Surman I said id take care of him (pay) for it...Dont say something stupid because we are friends in person dude.. that type of comment isnt allowed!

Bina, you get the credit here homey! Wait... i thought you took the info and DID the mod, you just brought the info from somewhere else and havent done it yet... now i understand... It took me realizing the pics of are a white car to understand!

surmanm
Car: 2008 nissan altima coupe 3.5 se

i knew someone would get upset.....

btw im Jewish myself so its all good...

mcheddadi
Car: R8

surmanm wrote:i knew someone would get upset.....

btw im Jewish myself so its all good...
i'm not jewish but its all good too

DAAN.

Please ( someone ) email me the link to the other forum. I want to ask that guy to make me a custom emblem

nederlande hotmail

bina12834

DAAN. wrote:Please ( someone ) email me the link to the other forum. I want to ask that guy to make me a custom emblem

nederlande hotmail
im pretty sure im allowed to SAY the name to the other forum....just not link to it.

just google NissanClub, and it should be the first link.

bina12834

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Wait... i thought you took the info and DID the mod, you just brought the info from somewhere else and havent done it yet... now i understand... It took me realizing the pics of are a white car to understand!
i wish....i just got my first dremel.....my skills arent good enough to do that yet

DAAN.

Appreciate your help

Pree

i was just playin...

racism is funny to me... if it's not some blatantly rude s***.

lol @ the edit tho.

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I LOVE YOU....no **** lol

I am def doing this!!!!!!!!!!!! this will make my lights even better

Stumpjumper
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S 6MT

that looks darn good

saywat

cool mod

wami18
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5S Black, Standard

Would this mod also apply to the altima coupes? If so, how exactly

should I be wiring them so it turns on as you use ur I.Key? I have never

touched the fusebox under the hood before, just today I checked it

if it is really there...

So when wiring, the wires are directly from the fusebox? ..

HELP ME,,

jagr200
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Where does one get those LED strips? I looked on eBay but could not find them. Anybody know?

***EDIT***

After one last search I found them! LINKY! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors..._1189

I am gonna do this mod along with the door handle mod in the coming week or two. I have 4 weeks until I leave for the military so this could be good fun. I'll keep everyone updated.

***EDIT***

Another edit. Does anyone know where I can get another logo? I have one but if I screw up(which is likely) I wanna have one that still looks good. Thanks.

***EDIT***

AGAIN! After another hour of searching I found the logo. http://www.courtesyparts.com/6...4032& Did not know that site was there but I like it. So I am gonna see if my dealer has one Monday morning and if not I will order this one.
Modified by jagr200 at 1:16 AM 5/3/2009

bravey_z12
Car: 2.5 6spds A/C [azure blue]

A 1000 times + i have some custom thoughts ,will show laterstay tune

jagr200
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Ya I just finished up this mod along with the door handles that light up. Very easy and very nice looking.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”