larger capacity oil filter

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mac1183
Car: 06 M45S

I searched and found this thread about which oil filter from a while ago

what-oil-and-oil-filter-do-you-use-t506439.html

I was wondering if anyone investigated finding a larger capacity oil filter for the car. It appears the Mobil M1-207 would do the job.

thoughts?

atlM35

Just curious, why do you want a larger oil filter?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

First off, I'm not a mechanic by ANY means, so I'm wondering what the purpose of a large cap filter is? Is it used to drive further between oil changes or are you considering NOT changing filters with each oil change?
My view is that, aside from washing the car, oil changes and filters are the cheapest yet among the most important things we do for the life of our cars. I like to save money on just about any repair or maintenance project for my M, but oil and filters would be the last place I'd try to save or stretch.
I'm also wondering if a larger filter (if it means larger volume and less resistance) would reduce the pressure with which the oil circulates and what effect that may have on the engine.
Perhaps one of the tech guys in here could shed some light.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

Nothing wrong with a larger filter to extend oil changes. I prefer to keep it simple and just use oem.

mac1183

Larger capacity to increase the amount of filtration surface area within the filter and increase (slightly) the overall oil capacity of the system. Almost every oil filter cut & compare out there note the amount of filtration element surface area and how inadequate many filters are.

Would not consider it as a means of saving money, but to provide better filtration a more capacity to the system.

More capacity will help lower (again slightly) the overall oil temps.

If you look into the VW/Audi cars with 1.8t engines they had oiling issues early on. Cooking the oil, causing sludge deposits to form and clog the oil pickup. The eventual solution was to go to a shorter OCI and use a much larger than original spec filter. Owners running oil temp gauges reported oil temperature drops with the higher capacity in the system. (and no loss of pressure)

And something like an oil filter will never effect our oil pressure. Oil pressure is primarily created by the tight clearances at the bearings. The smallest passage in the system is where pressure will build, not the largest.

I was just surprised when I saw the oil filter for this v8 was the same one used on my motorcycle.

And by comparison to domestic V8's the filter is absurdly tiny. The domestics, many times still spec as large a filter as they can fit in the space. The filters on the v8's in my boat could double as gatorade bottles.

atlM35

It wouldn't be too difficult to go to an auto parts store and match up some gaskets to the OEM sized filter.
I'm curious to see if there really is any added benefit to the 45 motor.

mac1183

Theres a little more to it than matching up the gasket size. You better take a plug gauge and a pitch gauge with you to make sure you have the right bolt size and pitch. a 3/4" bolt filter wont correctly bolt up to an M12 bolt. Not trying to sound condescending, I just don't want to see someone walk into an auto zone and try to visually match up filters strictly by gasket size, lose a filter 4 miles down the road and blow up an engine.

The only one I have found in my internet searching with the same bolt size/thread pitch with substantially larger physical size/capacity than the m1-110 is the m1-207 (and its cross references).

But that filter appears to be elusive to find sitting on the shelf.

There is no such thing as having too much oil, or too cool an oil temp (so long as you are above the pour point). But there is such a thing as having too little oil capacity, or too hot an oil temp. I guess I don't understand the reservation to even think about moving to a higher capacity filter on a motor without an external oil cooler.
Last edited by mac1183 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

msvara wrote:Nothing wrong with a larger filter to extend oil changes. I prefer to keep it simple and just use oem.
That is my approach too! :yesnod

Some high-quality filters may do better, but there are too many low-quality ones out there too. Many studies have shown internal construction differences that are not obvious.

Stick with the OEM filter, change it every 3750 miles (my typical value) or up to a maximum of 7500 miles, and you should be perfectly fine! I keep my filter purchase receipts (from www.everythinginfiniti.com or the dealer) as proof that I am looking after my engine. :)

Z

mac1183

Changed the oil this weekend.

Went from whatever the dealership put on there to the M1-207. It's not a subtle difference.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

How much did that filter cost you?

mac1183

the 2-pack cost $19 shipped from Amazon - So $9.50 each.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”