Lamin-X causes tiny cracks in headlights?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mpgmusic
Car: 2006 Crimson Roulette (metallic red) M45 luxury, chrome, Nav, Journey, tint, trunk spoiler, LED upgrades, chin spoiler, DVD, Ext. Warr. ipod interface - always clean - always waxed!

I have read threads about our M35/M45 headlights turning yellow or fogging up over time due to UV exposure. I also read that Lamin-X could prevent this. My headlights are near pefect and I want to keep them that way. But as I read up on Lamin-X, I found a large number of incidences where it caused tiny fractures or "hairline cracks" in headlights. Many suggested it was due to heat being trapped behind the plastic covering. (since I live in Texas, it gets really hot here!) If you google "Lamin-x Cracked Headlights", you'll find numerous forums with people sharing horror stories after only a few months of Lamin-X being installed. And Lamin-X offers no resolutions but has commented to complaining customers that their product could cause those cracks due to heat.

Anway, I really want to use something to keep my headlights from getting yellow. Do any of you have direct experience with Lamin-X or other similar solutions?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

don't have experience with Lamin-X, but have Xpel protection on my daily driver. They have definitely protected my headlights from rock chips-I've noticed a couple of big gouges/scratches that might have cracked my headlights if they weren't on.

I live near Dallas and we've had close to record-breaking HOTTTT temps (>100 degrees) for over month....
haven't noticed any cracking or yellowing at all.

btw-have OEM headlights, Phillips Silverstars in my high beams, cleared chrome bulbs for my turn signals, and LED bulbs for my parking lights.

craig

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

A lot of people swear by Lamin-X. I don't.

I had them on my Maxima's fog lights and they ended up cracking both of them. My bulbs (which were in the lights for months before), also created burn marks. My theory is the film didn't let the lights breathe or get cooled by air..so when they were hot, some water hit it and the rest was history.

In my opinion, stay FAR away from Lamin-X or similar products.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”