Kouki Type-X Cluster Wiring Help

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Dark_Wave
Car: 240sx DiscoPotated S15 Steering+Seat

Now I need help. Does someone have the 180sx Kouki Type-X FSM. I am trying to Wiring a cluster from a Type-X in a 240sx S13. But there is about 9 pin from the Cluster that i Can't identifi. Here is somme pic. I would need advice on the X16-X18-X19-X20-X21-X22-X23-X25 and X30.

X number= Kouki type-X cluster Numberx1= Ground Temp Gauge, Fuel levelx2= Right Flasherx3= High Beamx4= High Beam Groundx5= Left Flasherx6= Left & Right Flasher Groundx7= 12V for the 3 main cluster lightx8= 12v for all light indicator under Temp and Fuel gauge +Clock light +KM digital Counter Light.x9= Seat Belt Lightx10= Oil Lightx11= Ext Light (Overheat catalisor)x12= Chg light (Battery)x13= Door Light (Why is there a Diode?)x14= NC (not Connected)x15= Ground 3 main Cluster Light + Clock light + KM digital Counter Lightx16= ? (Connect to the 12V Battery?)

x17= Fuel Lightx18= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)x19= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)x20= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)x21= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)x22= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)x23= ? x24= NC (No Connect)x25= ? (Connect to the 12V Battery?)x26= Hicas Lightx27= Over Drive Off Lightx28= ABS Lightx29= Hand Brake Lightx30= ? (Goes in the Rear of the Speedo Electronic)

From 240sxS13

6 & 12=to speed sensor10= Fuel tank gauge unit7= pin 32 ECCS19= pin 2 eccs24= Ignition switch 10A 12V26= 28= Ground Body

Dark_Wave

Bump nobody Can help me?

Dark_Wave

Ok if nobody have a wirring diagram. Does someone Know how to identifie the main componen aka speedo, RPM, temp, fuel...

Dark_Wave

Bump Im shure someone here know how to wire those Cluster... They just need to see the Thread, bump it up please. Because right now im Stuck, i dont know how to test the equipement like Speedo, rpm, Temps Gauge, and Fuel Gauge... I could seend 12 anywhere, but i dont whant to break anyting.

4wheeldrifts13
Car: 89' RHD Nissan S13.5

Wow, I cant wait to see the finished product.. good luck man.. sorry for no helpful input. Im definitely not someone to ask about wiring.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Dark_Wave

Endless thank to SpeedRacer1 for his help. With that anybody should be able to wire those cluster. Dont forget you will need the S14 Speed Sensor and Temps Sensor Ka or Sr both will work.

taco_401
Car: 240sx

some one need to save this diagram its great

SpeedRacer1

End result...

Dark_Wave

On your pic the clock got no light? is it working?

SpeedRacer1

The wiring isnt perfect. The clock light works, but the car just has to be running for it to show up. One of the gremlins we never worked out.

Asia989
Car: 90 s13.4

do u have to use the harness for the type x cluster along with the 240 cluster harness? speed if u can id like to ask u more threw email

Dark_Wave

The plug from the 240sx body is not the same as the 180sx Type-X. I didn't have it so i have to soldier wire direct on the cluster. This is what it look like. I dont recomande it because i think It will bring me some probleme in the near future. But i will keep the hold plug from the 240sx Cluster model as well so i will have a back up.

Dark_Wave

If someone could put this picture in the how to section I think its the final produc

Modified by Dark_Wave at 9:22 PM 4/28/2008

SpeedRacer1

Forgot to mention if anyone didnt know already but the Kouki 180SX has airbags. Since there is no airbag controller in our 240SX's the airbag light will turn on and stay on. The best remedy for this is to take apart the cluster and place a piece of electrical tape over the airbag light. This should only take a couple of minutes.

Unless you just want the airbag light on constantly.

Dark_Wave

Nice i Just found that the pin X30 is for the Air Bag. Just Ground it with X1 and they will be no more Airbag Light.

RCCC_DRiFteR
Car: '89 Nissan 240sx

LoL I couldnt fins this thread on Nico but I ofund it on Zilvia. But of course the info is way more helpful. Speed, as far as the clock. You said its on when the car is?? but by "on" are you referring to the backlight to the clock??

RCCC_DRiFteR

Bump

MrFairlady

Got my Kouki Cluster and Found 2 harness' that fit perfect.

Easy.Went to Pull-A-PART and just started Checking Nissans.turns out the 93-95 I think Maxima Had them.

Now just have to wire them up.

Not sure What the deal is w/ the Sensors from an S14??Speed Sensor?/TEMP sensor?? which one?

Do you have to run a wire from the S14 Speed sensor into the CLuster or just to the SR lower harness like normal??thats the part I'm wondering now??

bump this up!

RCCC_DRiFteR

So wait, you found that a Maxima had the 2 interior and 2 cluster plugs just like the Type X?? I don't understand that either. How does a thermostat matter. what if I'm running the Nismo thermostat which works on both!?!? Bump for sure!

MrFairlady

RCCC_DRiFteR wrote:So wait, you found that a Maxima had the 2 interior and 2 cluster plugs just like the Type X?? I don't understand that either. How does a thermostat matter. what if I'm running the Nismo thermostat which works on both!?!? Bump for sure!
I basically found 2 plugs that will plug into the Kouki Cluster...so you don't have to Wire/solder it to the Board on the cluster.

Then you just have to Re-pin the Harness in the order of how they have it Wired ^^^ and thats it.Now the sensor thing I'm wondering i you have to run a wire rom the Actual Speed sensor (s14) into the Pin on the Cluster.??Why dosen't the S13 KA or Sr not work?

Not sure what temp sensor they are talking about.Coolant temp I guess.That would be the only thing that would Communicate w/ the Cluster i guess.

RCCC_DRiFteR

He needs to varify the lil details just a hair better. Can you post a pic of that plug your talkin about??

MrFairlady

Here is the other Set of plugs that I Grabbed from a Maxima.I'm currectly trying to Re-pin the harness to make it Plug n' play w/ my Factory stuff so It can be removed later.Plugs and Pins match perfectly.

The sensors Should be the same that THEY are saying have to be replaced.As soon as I get my Nissan Running I will install mine and see.It should only have to plug right in and Read waht the ECU tells it Anyway.

No reason why it would need a diff signal from either one.MAYBE the Speed sensor is Diff.....so my Nissan GURU Buddy tells me...but maybe not.

RCCC_DRiFteR

and do you know what year maxima exactly you pulled that out of?? as far as speed sensor, fro what I've read the only SR20DET motor that has a speed sensor in the Diff is a S15 everything else including a S13 and S14 is in the tranny

MrFairlady

I use to own a 94...and it was the Same body style as the one I pulled the Cluster out of and Clipped the Harness.

So 94 (93 or 95) I'm sure.You can get the sensors for JDM DCC out of that car too that will work.

The harness is In the Dash cluster odo/speedo - has 2 white plugs and 1 Brown plug...though you dont need the Brown one.

Next I'd like to find an S13 to Cut the dash Wires out of it,so I can Match Each Exact Color up w/ each corrosponding Pin and make Quick Connect butt connectors so It will remove eaisly.

RCCC_DRiFteR

aight, well i found out that Venus motorsports of Sac has type x clusters for cheap so I may just be 1 of him and I have an extra plugs of a s13 to pin to my type x cluster

whowutwut
Car: 1993 240sx Hatch

I just got my cluster hooked up, thanks to this thread!

Had to get a s14 speed sensor to get the speedo to read correctly.. The temp sensor I decided not to swap since I have a defi temp gauge in my car. It's just weird driving around with the temp needle pegged at the top! makes you think you're overheating! haha.. anyway...

anyone know how to get the gas needle to read right? do I have to switch something in the sending unit. I have close to a full tank of gas but the needle is around 3/4 of the way up. any one know?

MrFairlady

whowutwut wrote:I just got my cluster hooked up, thanks to this thread!

Had to get a s14 speed sensor to get the speedo to read correctly.. The temp sensor I decided not to swap since I have a defi temp gauge in my car. It's just weird driving around with the temp needle pegged at the top! makes you think you're overheating! haha.. anyway...

anyone know how to get the gas needle to read right? do I have to switch something in the sending unit. I have close to a full tank of gas but the needle is around 3/4 of the way up. any one know?
whowutwut wrote:I just got my cluster hooked up, thanks to this thread!

So damn Did you try it w/o the S14 Speed sensor???Whats the deal just Pull the old S13 one and Put in the S14 one??Or did you have to send a wire up to the Gauge or some ****??

no one will post up on this thread anymore.Sucks.I haven't started mine yet but Waiting to see someone else Chime in.

You wire Direct or did you get a harness like I did??Come on man..hook us OR me up!

whowutwut
Car: 1993 240sx Hatch

MrFairlady wrote:
So damn Did you try it w/o the S14 Speed sensor???Whats the deal just Pull the old S13 one and Put in the S14 one??Or did you have to send a wire up to the Gauge or some ****??

no one will post up on this thread anymore.Sucks.I haven't started mine yet but Waiting to see someone else Chime in.

You wire Direct or did you get a harness like I did??Come on man..hook us OR me up!
Hey MrFairlady, Yes, I tried it with the s13 speed sensor. Basically it reads the speed WAY off. I drove in 2nd gear down my street at around 20 mph and it read way high , like 80-100 km/h and racked up 3 km on the odometer really quickly.

Yep, exactly, pull out the old speed sensor and put in the s14 one. You have to splice 2 wires for that. Luckily I had that wiring harness from the s14 speed sensor one so I didn't have to solder directly onto the pin, the pins are very small. When installing the speed sensor, I jacked up the rear of the car as much as I could to avoid losing transmission fluid when pulling out the speed sensor!

As for the harness, I made sure that the cluster I bought came with the wiring harness so I didn't have to source one.

I'm not sure what other info you are looking for, Basically all the information you need is on this thread, it's just very tedious to connect all the wires and make sure you have the right one wired..

I'll post some images of my wiring work.. maybe that will help..

Here, I removed the tape around the kouki harness...

I bought a spare USDM 240sx gauge cluster harness, just incase I want to put mine back in, but as it looks, i probably wont ever do that, since this just looks so much better

You need to identify all the wires, i found it easier to label each one...

connecting the wires one by one...

more connecting...

finished.. wrapped up...

plugged into the back..

Hope that helps, you just got to dive in and do it.

RCCC_DRiFteR

that does help alot!! thanks. But the speed sensor needs to be a s14 KA speed sensor correct??

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”