knocking sound in gear

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jto

Hi all,

I have a knocking sound coming from the passenger side when my 98 I30 is in gear and running about 2-3k rpms. It's definately loudest when I put it in gear and rolling about 5-10 mph.

I replaced the CV axle on that side and noticed a bad bearing seal. I couldn't get a bearing at the time of reassembly, so I just replaced the seal. Would a bad bearing make that noise?

The only other thing I could think of is a stretched timing chain hitting some kind of guide or something.

thanks in advance...

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Did you make sure that the carrier bearing bracket was reattached to the block? I've seen it before that if that bracket isn't remounted to the engine block, the bracket will slap the block on take off.

Do you hear the noise at constant cruising speed, acceration, deceleration, turning corners (left turn .vs right turn)?

jto

I examined the source of the knocking again and it seems to be coming from under the timing chain cover. I really think my timng chain is loose. I posted in the "online mechanic" to see how hard it is to replace.

I'll check the carrier bracket bolts again too. I remember one was a pain to get to.

any hints on the chain, please let me know.

TY for the response!

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Only tip I can give you regarding the timing chain is, pray it's not the timing chain.

Check the water pump, they have been known to go bad from time to time. I personally have not heard of a timing chain issue with a VQ.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”