Knocking in low gears !!

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
balik

I just got done injection cleaning and head cleaning from dealer , however my knocking is not going away .

I got this car 2 months ago . It has 74K on it....AUTO - GLE and no other issues with any part of it.

I used high Octane for a month , knocking went down but never disappeared.

2 weeks ago I took it to dealer for oil change and got the throttle plate and injection cleaning done....but nothing has changed I have started using normal grade gas also but knocking is still there.

I think between 2nd and 3rd gear it knocks until it reaches the expected speed (for 20 sec to 40 secs)

Please let me know what else could be done to remedy this issue.Its getting annoying !

Thanks

NISTECH

First what year is your car.When you say knocking I think heavy muffled thumping. Would it be batter discribed as a pinging [a couple marbles in a bag being shakin]

balik

Its GLE-2000 with 74 K miles AUTO, Maxima.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

He needs a bit more info

Is it pinging like a spark-knock (see his mables in a bag comment) or are you having a "thump"?

balik

Well , this is my first AUTO car after 7 yrs. I have owned STICK Shift mostly.

And its very clear KNOCKING sound , like engine is unable to burn the gas correctly. Its not thump ...its Knocking and marble thing is not how I would define .

I would say , if I put my car in 1 and then in 3 gear...that kind of knocking.

My mechanic told me use good gas for while and it will clean out...so far its been 2 months nothing has changed much.

Cars performance is fine...no issues with that ....pick is good....no smoke...!

Hope this help let me know if you need more details.

NISTECH

yea its marbles in a bag type noise. Have you had your coils replaced yet? Its pretty common on the max and if your useing premium grade but it still does it coils tend to resolve it. they are about $74 a piece. there are 6 of them. Usually a code p1320 is associated with it but not always.

balik

I don't know as got this from Dealer Auction.

So I am looking at 6 X $ 74 = $444 +Labor , and you think my problem will be solved ! Very Expensive !

Expensive....Is this coil thing needs to be done as routine change or MAX have this issue and everybody knows about it....and does them proactively ??

Is there anything else that needs to be done with these coil changes as they fall in same area or work line ?

If I keep using HIGH Grade Gas will that help in reducing this knocking ?Or you think I should just go ahead and get this done ?

Thanks for your help.

NISTECH

If your running 93 octane religously now and it still exists It wont resolve it.

No not maintainance, there is a nissan TSB on it stating to replace them if there is persistant pinging and or code p1320.

maw1048
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30t

Yep.....I had the same thing with my 2000 Infiniti. Dealer replaced ignition coils under warranty many moons ago which resolved it.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”