"knock" noise from steering wheel

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Qashqai

Today I realized,when I:
- turn the steering wheel to either left or right and suddenly turn to the oposite direction
- going straight and make a sudden, slight left or right turn (when going slowly of course),

I hear a "knocking" noise coming from the steering wheel column. I am pretty sure that noise is new.

Here is a video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qddf_DyR ... re=youtube[/youtube]

Normally the noise is more like a "knocking on wood", in the video, it sounds like a "tick".

My question is, do you have the same noise in your Rogue (previously I was panicked when I first realized the shift interlock solenoid)? or should I take my car to the dealer (Rogue has a TSB about a screw on the steering wheel column)?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

id love to tell you my steering wheel is silent, but i have that ridiculous noise of a ratchet every time i turn the wheel to fast.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I have that noise too when turning the wheel, and when I hit large bumps at slow speeds, like when I drive up the curb to or from my driveway, I get a knock feeling through the steering wheel and it can be heard too. I just has the whole front end including all steering linkages checked, and the dealer reported everything looked great so I'm not too worried about it, but it is annoying.

I've come to accept that this vehicle has a lot of these loose-ends, various noises and sensations that make the vehicle feel the opposite of solid (not-solid?). My car has done this for at least the past 2-3 years, I'm speculating that it might be coming internally from the steering box - perhaps slightly worn gears with a bit of freeplay.

I plan to keep this car for 2 more years minimum, hopefully no more than 3 at which point it will be 8 years old and time to look at upgrading to something new or newer, in the meantime I'm not overly concerned.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

its probably the plastic 'clock-spring'.

kerrton

Had that replaced 4 times under warranty already, also the air bag, and the entire steering wheel!! They had no clue, just keep replacing parts and hope it solves the problem. The new clock spring would always be nice and quiet for a few weeks but the noise would quickly return, in warm weather I don't hear it, just when its cold.

The knock sound and sensation is different, I can feel the knock vibration through the steering wheel and brake pedal.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

that happens. if nissan signed a contract to buy 10million clock springs and they all have a tiny problem(rattle, grinding, etc) that wont impede its long longevity, guess what - you can replace it all you want, you still end up with the same original complaint.

to me its not a big deal. i am just thankful the car isn't giving me problems that can break my bank. Am i happy that nissan cut back on refining their product(rogue)? NO. I am not to happy about it - but thats life. i wanted an entry level, cheap SUV = and i got one. plus with cars now a days its nothing more than a 'rat race' for MPG's. car makers really dont care about quality, image, nor performance. they all only care about what number will their car have on the MPG chart on the window sticker.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

Unfortunately I cannot help but think this has to do with the car having electric steering. I HATE electric steering. Cars with real feel, real precision have hydraulic steering systems... The Rogue's steering isn't bad for being electric, but it does not feel scalpel precise. My Accord's steering was good and hefty for most of its life. Hitting stupid NYC potholes loosened things up a little and toward the end there wasn't a whole lotta feel left, but I could still keep up with an Infinity G37S on the Jackie Robinson Pkwy going faster than most people will go on that road with no drama at all (very very windy and tight road)....

Anyway, long story short, my steering is not really making any clunking, but when I turn the wheel, I feel and hear slight electric-y notches... While driving it is not really noticeable, but when parked you can feel it. Imstricken said it pretty accurately, it feels almost like turning a mini socket wrench on a very small scale (minus the sound, at least on mine).

My Rogue's windshield makes noises over bumps and my suspension pops and bangs over big bumps... My Accord with 90k miles of my abuse still had an interior that was essentially rattle free and noise free... Already, I cannot say that about my Rogue (with 3,500 miles)... I guess I miss the quality/durability of my Accord. It would be much easier to accept if the Rogue SL AWD was say $25k instead of $31k, but hey... So is life. Its a good enough effort on Nissans part, but I just wish it were a little more durable and hitting a big bump didn't make me feel like the car was going to break, that is my biggest gripe.

I knew coming into a Nissan that quality/durability would be down a few notches from Honda, but knowing it and experiencing it are 2 different things. I like the options I got in mine and knowing that some of them are pretty much exclusive to the Rogue kind of evens the scale for me (OEM HIDs, all around camera system, bose, etc...), but when I read THIS on NCTD.com about the Hyundai Tucson's steering, I think Nissan could've paid a little more attention to detail in the driving experience department:
"The motor-driven electric power steering is one of the Tucson's greatest strengths. We found it perfectly calibrated, giving firm steering response and flawless road feel, leaving us no excuse to become uninterested in the driving experience. Absolutely first class. And of course it's integrated into the vehicle's Electronic Stability Control."

Maybe coming from a sedan my expectations are too high, idk. Maybe I'm a bit grumpy today :gotme
Last edited by followingnfront on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qashqai

So I took the car to the dealer. They took apart the steering wheel column, check all the parts, put them back together and the noise is gone...They couldn't find the problem. I am not sure if I should be happy or worried. I should be happy, because the noise is gone. I should be worried, because they didn't fix/replace anything (actually after reading the previous posts, I am convinced that changing parts won't fix anything).

And for some reason, they did wheel allignment. I thnik they seriously took the steering system apart.

As a result, that noise is gone for now. lets wait and see...

For other noises...I am fed up with the noises coming from everywhere. My wife says I am listening too much, but most of the time by adding felt tape I can fix it. However, after being hit for three times, I am not sure if it is the damaged frame or Nissan's craftmanship...

followingnfront

Qashqai wrote:I am not sure if it is the damaged frame or Nissan's craftmanship...
Based on my experience with different cars of different quality, I'd lean more towards the latter. But I may be wrong... I don't have many sounds coming from too many places. The windshield is the biggest interior noise I hear unless I hit big bumps then it sounds like everything is making noise lol... But my car is only 3,500 miles young

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

once your car gets hits, its going to be "different" lol. things shift and can never be put back together to be perfect. they might look perfect from the the outside, but once things settle and extreme temps settle in = its gonna make strange noises and feel a little off.

Qashqai

...last night the noise came back. I decided to leave it like that and ignore the noise, but every time I "use" the steering wheel to turn, there is that knocking noise. It is so annoying and while paying $230 bi-weekly for a 2 years old car with only 28.000 km (17.400 miles) on it, I can't accept that noise.

I set up an appointment with the service next week. I will keep you posted.

Probably they will start changing the parts one by one starting from the clock spring like they did on Kerrton's car.

followingnfront

You know, I think I was being a little grumpy yesterday... I can be anal to the point of ocd with my cars (ONLY with my cars believe it or not) and I think I am often times over critical of some things. In all honesty I think the Rogue is a great package for the money, and aside from the rough ride and gas mileage it would be essentially a "perfect package". I do think the steering could be a little more hefty but then again it could be a lot more numb too.

But again, Im not experiencing the issues you guys are so....

But I did drive to BK today (which I despise driving through) and hit some nasty bumps... My steering feels a little "lighter" afterward and consequently slightly less "precise"... I may get an alignment check done eventually if it gets notably worse, but I am wondering if its just my perception yet... I have a sickness lol. This really doesnt have much to do with the overall thread but I felt like sharing :-)

kerrton

Good perspective, I feel the same way. I'm very critical of details and have a high standard for my vehicles as well. When this car was new in 08 I was a little disappointed during the first year - I had a CVT replaced, lots of steering wheel issues, and a horrible wind noise problem that I eventually solved myself by adding gasket/foam material to the front door seals. After that, my expectations got a little more reasonable because the car was no longer brand new, and I solved a lot of the little problems so my satisfaction increased. My 08 was a first model year, so I should have been expecting some of these issues, but when you buy brand new its hard to lower expectations.

Today I really feel that new vehicles have come a long way in just 5 years since I've purchased my Rogue, in terms of quality, standard features, safety features, and price. Things change so fast, in 08 I was so excited about the Aux-in port on the stereo so I could listen to an MP3 player or my external Sat radio, rather than using the annoying FM transmitter. In 08 the FM Transmitter was a big deal, now I don't think they even exist anymore, just in the course of 5 years - I'm excited to see what the next 5 years will bring.

All that being said, I'm quite happy with my Rogue today overall, because its paid for, cost of ownership is very cheap (no breakdowns yet, and the only maintenance I do is 2 synth oil changes per year with nothing major required in the upcoming 2-3 years other than a battery), and I get awesome gas mileage. The Rogue is a little bit bare-bones, but I think this helps keep the weight down and efficiency up. I still get better in-town efficieny than any of the new models, including the newly redesigned RAV4 and CRV (numbers are close, but my 5-year old model still can't be beat by the new Toyota or Honda). And a lot of the news options are just added complexity that I don't have to worry about in my Rogue - nice and simple and reliable is what I like about my Rogue, not to mention the 10-year CVT warranty.

Qashqai

Well my expectations are high, because the car is new..that is totally true. However, I would like to keep the car for at least 8 more years, so I am scared if noises started to come from the steering wheel when it is at only 30.000 km. I wonder what will happen when it reaches to 100.000 or more.

Anyway, I took the car to the service. They found a TSB and covered the cables under the steering wheel with felt tape, sprayed some grease over the joints. They said the noise is gone, but it is still there. Since there is grease all over the ball joints, it is less, but it is there.

I have to wait three hours for that simple procedure. I am not planning to go there again, describe the symptoms (as if it is hard to replicate), wait for hours and return with nothing changed. It is not worth fighting with them, when all they can do is to lubricate the parts. Especially after reading what Kerrton experienced (changed the steering wheel, clock springs three times, and the noise is still there).

If you guys all have that knocking noise, I believe it is a common problem with the Rogues. I can live with it. I have to... :frown:

followingnfront

As I said, I dont have it (3500 miles)

Qashqai

I didn't have until 29.800 km (18.500 miles) ;)

followingnfront

Well, tonight while drivingit home, literally just a few blocks from my house, my steering wheel delevoped a slight "click" thats kind of hard to explain... Its metallic in nature but its faint. It sounds like it could be the clockspring... I havent even turned 5k miles yet! :-0... Havent even gitten my first oil change! Its not a clunk... Just a slight "pin drop" kind of click.

Qashqai

I went to a test drive with a senior mechanic and the service manager. They all hear that knocking noise whenever I enter a small pot hole or drive over manhole cover. Tomorrow they are going to replace the tie rod ends to "remove that possibility from the equation".

I am little nervous, because I don't like the idea of letting them change a critical piece (I don't trust them).
on the other hand, maybe it is the real problem and maybe it will solve that noise.

I can live with that noise, but it is so loud and I don't trust the car any more. It feels like something will be fallen apart any time...

I will update you all.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:I went to a test drive with a senior mechanic and the service manager. They all hear that knocking noise whenever I enter a small pot hole or drive over manhole cover. Tomorrow they are going to replace the tie rod ends to "remove that possibility from the equation".

I am little nervous, because I don't like the idea of letting them change a critical piece (I don't trust them).
on the other hand, maybe it is the real problem and maybe it will solve that noise.

I can live with that noise, but it is so loud and I don't trust the car any more. It feels like something will be fallen apart any time...

I will update you all.
to you: does the sound appear on the inside or the outside of the car - or you cant tell? to me it sounds like plasticy inside the car

Qashqai

It is just behind the steering wheel. In the parking lot, when the engine is running and I shake the steering wheel vigorously from left to right, from right to left, I can replicate the knocking noise.

I am 100% sure it is coming inside the electric steering wheel assembly. It is coming just behind the airbag. I told this to the mechanics and they agree the noise is coming from there. However, their theory is the bad tie rod end transfers the noise up to the steering wheel....it looks like the only way to convince them (that the steering wheel motor is broken) is to let them change the perfectly fine tie rod end.
:picard:

followingnfront

I had bad inner tie rod bushings on my old Dodge Intrepid. They bolted onto the back of the steering rack right behind the firewall. There was a bad knock that you could feel in the steering wheel, but it was coming from the rack. Considering the Rogues don't have rack and pinion setups, I'm not suggesting it is coming from the "rack", but since you hear it going over bumps, it may be plausible that a tie rod may be at least part of the problem.
Last edited by followingnfront on Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:It is just behind the steering wheel. In the parking lot, when the engine is running and I shake the steering wheel vigorously from left to right, from right to left, I can replicate the knocking noise.

I am 100% sure it is coming inside the electric steering wheel assembly. It is coming just behind the airbag. I told this to the mechanics and they agree the noise is coming from there. However, their theory is the bad tie rod end transfers the noise up to the steering wheel....it looks like the only way to convince them (that the steering wheel motor is broken) is to let them change the perfectly fine tie rod end.
since tie rods are a wear item, consider yourself lucky then. i hope they replace everything before they find the issue - it would be like having a whole new front end of a car LOL

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:
Qashqai wrote:It is just behind the steering wheel. In the parking lot, when the engine is running and I shake the steering wheel vigorously from left to right, from right to left, I can replicate the knocking noise.

since tie rods are a wear item, consider yourself lucky then. i hope they replace everything before they find the issue - it would be like having a whole new front end of a car LOL
+1

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

id take some free replacements! lol
hell id even focus(trick) in their blind staff to hubs(bearings) while i was at it lol. because those things go around 120,000 miles and trust me, its gonna cost a lot (not to mention unevenly worn tires)

Qashqai

They changed the front stabilizers. Of course, as I was expecting, the noise is still there.

Kerrton, you have the same complaint. They changed a lot of parts on your Rogue. Did they changed the entire electric motor for the steering wheel?

Qashqai

Update:

After changing the front stabilizers, the noise was still there. I took it to the dealer again. This time, I did something new. When the service manager is on the drivers seat and the engine is running, I went outside and shake the front wheel as if it is rolling over a rough surface. He heard that knocking sound and I think this time he is convinced that it is not a Rogue-related or age-related issue (although the car has 32.000 km on it).

Anyway, he said this noise is not normal and ask me to left the car half a day, so that they will do some tests.

I have a strong feeling that the steering wheel shaft/motor will be changed.

Note: I am sure my car is manufactured on Monday in a cold Japanese winter morning....

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

lol as long as they acknowledge the issue.

Qashqai

Finally problem solved...

After having two rear ended accidents :frown: , one of the exhaust brackets was bent and hitting the car. So everytime the car passes on a rough surface, it hits the car and makes that knocking noise. The knocking noise I hear when I shake the steering wheel (the video on the original post) is a default noise. I heard the same noise with my own ears in a brand new 2013 Rogue (with 35 km on the odometer).

Of course after I start to hear that knocking noise, I started to "pay attention" and thought it is coming from the steering wheel. Similar story when I started to "hear" the shift lock solenoid :chuckle:

duncho
Car: Qashqai

Thanks Qashqai for sharing your pain with noise coming from a steering. I must say that the noise (which is on your video) is coming from the Power Steering box and that is normal behavior of it. The reason why I'm replying to your post is that I also have a ticking noise coming from somewhere through a steering wheel when I drive on unpaved roads in low speed (10-20km/h).
It is very interesting fact which as you discovered is coming from the exhaust brackets. Could you please be more specific where should I have a look in order to address your finding? Some photos would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance

duncho
Car: Qashqai

duncho wrote:Thanks Qashqai for sharing your pain with noise coming from a steering. I must say that the noise (which is on your video) is coming from the Power Steering box and that is normal behavior of it. The reason why I'm replying to your post is that I also have a ticking noise coming from somewhere through a steering wheel when I drive on unpaved roads in low speed (10-20km/h).
It is very interesting fact which as you discovered is coming from the exhaust brackets. Could you please be more specific where should I have a look in order to address your finding? Some photos would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance
Qashqai, so I checked the exhaust system and that one does not make the ticking noise in my case :confused:
I have no bloody idea what could make that annoying noise...

Return to “Rogue Forum”