Keyless Remote

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
InfinityLady

My keyless remote for my 2001 QX4 stopped working...I replaced the battery but it still did not work so I thought that I needed to re-program it...I found the steps below on the web and tried it but the remote still does not work...Does anyone have any suggestions....Could it be that I have to replace the keyless remote?....How would i determine whether it is a re-programming issue or whether the remote has to be replaced?...And if it needs to be replaced, are there any alternatives to paying the high prices charged by the dealers?

The steps that I tried to re-program are as follows:

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again. 1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch. 2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

You Can find them pretty cheap on ebay. Try this link: 2001 QX4 Remotes

Billy

Fisherdude
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE

try out the Viper system, it will kick any stock system's a**

nissanjdm

I have the same issue here. Any input is appreciated!

sixty4
Car: 2008 QX56
1964 Lincoln Continental

Gone:
2006 QX56, 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2000 I30

Call you dealer for pricing as well and ask if they can program a FOB you bring them. Obviously you cannot walk through a parking lot with any ebay fob and open doors.

In my case I didn't want to take the chance of spending $20 + shipping just to have it not work and have the dealer refuse to program it with your vehicle.

I have an 01 QX4 lost my last set of keys once chipped key and FOB. I had to get towed to the dealer. What I found was the two dealers in my local area (DC Metro) had different prices on these items. I bought the key from one, had it programed at the other. The pricing was nearly the inverse on each reprogram/key.

P.S. I FOUND THE MISSING SET OUTSIDE MY HOUSE IN THE BUSHES NEARLY A YEAR LATER.... It wasn't alcohol ether.

Am I right Empty?

KyooX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4wd

Must've been the racoons.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

sixty4 wrote:Call you dealer for pricing as well and ask if they can program a FOB you bring them. Obviously you cannot walk through a parking lot with any ebay fob and open doors.

In my case I didn't want to take the chance of spending $20 + shipping just to have it not work and have the dealer refuse to program it with your vehicle.

I have an 01 QX4 lost my last set of keys once chipped key and FOB. I had to get towed to the dealer. What I found was the two dealers in my local area (DC Metro) had different prices on these items. I bought the key from one, had it programed at the other. The pricing was nearly the inverse on each reprogram/key.

P.S. I FOUND THE MISSING SET OUTSIDE MY HOUSE IN THE BUSHES NEARLY A YEAR LATER.... It wasn't alcohol ether.

Am I right Empty?
Right about the alcohol? That's debatable.

I'm 99% sure you can reprogram any specified key or remote to work with your vehicle. InfinityLady seems pretty well versed with the process and I doubt she'll have an issue with it. If she's changed the battery and tried the performed the reprogramming correctly she's probably just got a bad unit. The dealers are a rip off, they wanted to charge me $250+ for a single O2 sensor. I try to avoid them at all costs, no pun intended. Sixty4, did they charge you for the reprogramming? How much were the KEY FOBs?

Billy

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

I've had good luck with e-bay fobs.

Note that you need both the FCC ID and the model number off the fob.2001 PFs have two different FCC IDs, different model numbers, notinterchangeable. The model A is the more uncommon.

I don't see where the original poster said what model and year she had.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

KBRASTU15 worked with my 2001 QX4, and I was able to use InfinityLady's programming instructions for both. When I bought the car it came with a single KBRASTU10, and I went out on a limb and bought a 15, not certain if it would work, but I had no problems. For reference, the labels on my driver’s door jamb say it was manufactured in November of 2000.

KBRASTU10 (left, old and busted) & KBRASTU15 (right, new hotness)

Image Image

xlj1000
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

hi atraudes,

This sounds intereting, Keys with different FCC ID are compatible but not with same FCC ID. Go figure.

Can you post what is the model#(A or 01A) that is on the back of your old FOB?

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

I just so happen to have the old one on me; the model is 01A (this is the KBRASTU10, to be clear).

I started carrying the 10 with me because the buttons on the 15 were constantly getting pushed unintentionally in my pocket.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

xlj1000 wrote:This sounds intereting, Keys with different FCC ID are compatible but not with same FCC ID. Go figure.

Can you post what is the model#(A or 01A) that is on the back of your old FOB?
No great figuring required.

The FCC ID has to do with analog electronics, not the digital signal. The same analog electronics (with same
FCC ID) can be used to send different (and incompatible) digital signals. And different analog electronics
(with different FCC IDs) can be used to send the same digital signal.

hotdawwgman
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Does this procedure work on the 99.5's as well?

AceEngineer
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Just to clarify things. The remote fob is easy to program without a trip to the dealer, anybody can do it. The instructions posted by the OP will work as long as the remote is compatible. I bought 2 spares on the internet and they programmed easily. The chipped key is another matter, it can only be programmed by a dealer or a bonded locksmith. I found that the local locksmith was less than half the cost of the dealer. I bought a blank chipped key on the internet for $13 and the locksmith charged about $30 to cut the key and program the engine controller to recognize it. The price seemed fair as it took the locksmith about 20 minutes to do the job.
Just saying,

Timelord :yesnod
'02 QX4

P.S. If you are programming a remote make sure you reprogram any other remotes at the same time. Programming a remote resets the entire memory.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”