Keyless Remote All of a Sudden Not Working?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
yakabod
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Couple weeks ago I had alternator problems. After I got it replaced, my remote to lock/unlock the doors is not working. But there are times when it would work (rare cases). Thinking it was the battery, I buy a new one. But nope, still having the same problems.

Why do I come across this problem after I replace my alternator? It was working fine before the alternator problem. Do I have to reprogram the remote? Buy a new remote? What are my options?

Thanks.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

The first thing to try is reprogramming the remote. Since it works occasionally, I doubt that's going to be it. "Occasional" is the symptom of a dieing remote. I've had I three or four die in 191,000 miles. I get new ones from e-bay. Get a NEW one, not a used one. Do you have both remotes, try the other one.

The '01 PF has two different remotes with the same FCC number. The "MODEL" on the back is different. They are not interchangeable. Model/A is the hard one to find. QX4 may also have two different ones.

yakabod

I have a 01 infiniti qx4. FCC: KBRASTU10

So I should buy a new one and just program it? How much they run for? What sucks is I have only 1 pair. I'll need a new key too.

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

I've had bad luck with fobs, so as of yesterday, I have a Viper 5501 remote car starter which has the lock and unlock features. Now it works everytime - no more headaches! Also if you need a key, look at donald yip's thread.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

The fob and the key are separate, right? I've never had to replace my keys when I changed fobs. I think the fobs run about $35-45 on e-bay. You can google up the programming instructions, or they are in section EL of the FSM.

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

My fob was the Model/ A
A used one (couldn't find any new) cost about $60 off ebay, it started working on and off within a few months...

yakabod

So i been too busy to buy another remote. So I'm still locking my car manually. I got a question though, why am I experiencing this right after I replace my alternator? I had electrical problems and found out it was my alternator. Replaced the alternator and now I'm having problems in locking my doors? Doesn't make sense. It was working great before I had these electrical problems.

Can anyone explain to me why?

Chuck Tribolet

IIRC, my '95 PF would forget about the fobs if the battery were disconnected for a bit. But I don't think my '01 does. It might be
worth going through the reprogram sequence.

yakabod

I can't find the procedure on reprogramming my remote on the FSM. Can someone target me to the right direction please?

Chuck Tribolet

I don't think it's in the FSM (Nissan dealer uses the Consult II to program it). You can find it with Google.

Chuck Tribolet

It is in the FSM. In section EL, look under "Multi-Remote Control System"

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”