Kenwood DNX5120 Install Pics!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kots

Hi, my old username was jklph. I have been waiting for this headunit. So here as promised are pics of the install. I was going to include detailed installation pics on a weekend install but the dash kit and head unit arrived today on a Friday afternoon after work and i can't wait to see it in action.

My friend and I was going out after work and she was running late so I decided I got less than 2 hours to kill and proceeded with a quick installation. total time including crimping/unpacking was < 1 hour. i have to recheck everything again tomorrow morning to make sure nothing was loose from my hasty job. note that the after-market stereo wiring harness does not include a wire for the ground (black). so i have to tap the parking brake wire to the black wire from the head unit and ground it to the chassis inside.

my head unit arrived. total cost < $750. no add-ons yet. just navi/dvd/radio.

some tools. yes, latex gloves. i dont want too much oily smudges on a 6.1 inch screen

daylight shot right after install. pic showing blue backlight but i changed the color afterwards to AMBER/RED to match the factory's

good riddance to the old unit:

back home from friday night hang out

no XM adaptor yet so I just use my trusty portable XM Nexus connected to the front AUX

Modified by kots at 2:16 AM 5/3/2008

Modified by kots at 2:18 AM 5/3/2008

Modified by kots at 2:26 AM 5/3/2008

kots

btw, the navi is by garmin. it has text-to-speech and reads off from flash-based memory. very quick routing calculation and recalculation. i like the navi portion better than the pioneer avic-d3. the pioneer uses dvd-based and does not have text-to-speech. kenwood dnx5120 also has usb port. it does not have a lot of followers like the AVIC (yet).

Leo2005

hey very nice unit. Always liked the way pioneer sounds better in my opinion compare to kenwood but its really pain in the butt to have disk inside of the unit all the time to have map available. Too bad Avic stores only part of the city not even the whole city caz later it will require you to put disk. Getting jelios only because of the nav. Great job!

silvaice
Car: Nissan Rogue AWD SL, BMW 323ci

Nice clean install

Leo2005

BTW I see that you have the same problem with dash kit. Does not fit they way its supposed to. Still theres some space between the kit and at the bottom.

kots

Leo2005 wrote:BTW I see that you have the same problem with dash kit. Does not fit they way its supposed to. Still theres some space between the kit and at the bottom.
i didn't notice it at first until i downloaded the pics from my camera. did u also have the same problem?

this could just only be me because i used to squeeze cables where i circled below on this pic:

i squeezed some of the cables from my portable XM and it narrowed the gap to a point where it's no longer noticeable. i'll probably check again if i can readjust it to fix this problem.

kots

more pics

showing amber backlight but i forgot to turn on my headlights to show how it matches with the factory's accessory lights

fixed the dash kit fitment issues

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

any luck with your steering wheel controls? do they still work?

kots

i don't have the steering wheel control option on my Rogue. I have just the base model when I purchased mine knowing that I will be upgrading the radio myself and didn't want any complications.

Leo2005

looks very good right now. ill work on my a lil later.

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Looks great! Do you have the wiring diragram? I want to add a sub to my factory setup. I figure it has to be the same as the Bose. Thanks.

kots

Goblin wrote:Looks great! Do you have the wiring diragram? I want to add a sub to my factory setup. I figure it has to be the same as the Bose. Thanks.
i don't have the bose option. i'm not sure if this what you need. this is the color code from the wiring harness to aftermarket stereo.

12V Ignition / Acc. . . . . . . . . . Red12V Batt / Memory. . . . . . . . . YellowGround. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Black*Power Antenna. . . . . . . . . . . . BlueAmp Turn-On . . . . . . . . . . . . . Blue / WhiteAmp Ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Black / WhiteIllumination . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OrangeDimmer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Orange / WhiteRight Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . GrayRight Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . Gray/ BlackLeft Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . WhiteLeft Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . . White / BlackRight Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . VioletRight Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Violet / BlackLeft Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . GreenLeft Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Green / Black

The above information is from the Metra dash kit manualhttp://www.installer.com/pdf/95-7425.pdf

bembol
Car: 2015 Murano SL AWD, Cashmere Interior.

I like. Congrats.

rogueboy

I have the same dash kit and the bottom alignment is atrocious.

How can I fix it? Any new or updated kits out there?

mamito00
Car: Rogue SL AWD

It looks great! Good luck!I have a question, do you have picture of the factory radio rear? If you do can you post it. I am interested on looking at it.

Thanks

albertwang16

can you post some pics with the audio interface and while it's playing a DVD? thanks.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

kots wrote:Hi, my old username was jklph. I have been waiting for this headunit. So here as promised are pics of the install. I was going to include detailed installation pics on a weekend install but the dash kit and head unit arrived today on a Friday afternoon after work and i can't wait to see it in action.

My friend and I was going out after work and she was running late so I decided I got less than 2 hours to kill and proceeded with a quick installation. total time including crimping/unpacking was < 1 hour. i have to recheck everything again tomorrow morning to make sure nothing was loose from my hasty job. note that the after-market stereo wiring harness does not include a wire for the ground (black). so i have to tap the parking brake wire to the black wire from the head unit and ground it to the chassis inside.

my head unit arrived. total cost < $750. no add-ons yet. just navi/dvd/radio.

some tools. yes, latex gloves. i dont want too much oily smudges on a 6.1 inch screen

daylight shot right after install. pic showing blue backlight but i changed the color afterwards to AMBER/RED to match the factory's

good riddance to the old unit:

back home from friday night hang out

no XM adaptor yet so I just use my trusty portable XM Nexus connected to the front AUX

Modified by kots at 2:16 AM 5/3/2008

Modified by kots at 2:26 AM 5/3/2008
how much for the unit?? U can play dvds?

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

nvm. i saw the price. sorry.

rogueboy

Anyone else know how to fix the dash kit? Mine has this gap and I cant figure out how to fix it. It looks awful!

jk47
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
Previous: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Nice job with the install. I was looking at the DNX7120 but seeing this one I don't think I need to spend the extra money.

A few questions: How long does it take to boot up? Did you blur out the streets on the Nav screens (on purpose) or is there a screen refresh delay? Also, do you have an S or SL. I'd like to install mine myself, but not without knowing exactly which wires are which.

Dash kit: Scosche has a dash kit as well. http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1645

For $20 I'm sure someone will check it out and post which one is better

kots

how much is the shipping for the scosche kit? i am tempted to get it. it looks definitely better than metra. the metra is a 3-piece plastic that you have to align and assemble as compare to scosche's 1-piece.

the boot-up is about 15-sec. the nav takes maybe 1 min to find the satellites on cold-boot during clear days. more than 1 min at night time.

i purposely blurred out the screen on my pics. i have the most basic S FWD model. no complications on the wiring since it is so basic. i got it done in one hour.

Leo2005

Agreed on 3 piece but the holes on the top for the screws made not the way it supposed to. The original radio on a kots picture with 2 holes on each side. And what do we have here? Weird hole that allows you to adjust the kit by yourself. That new kit looks more like genuine.
Modified by Leo2005 at 11:24 AM 8/23/2008

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

That looks awesome! Nice job!!! Thanks for sharing all the pics and detail with us.

Return to “Rogue Forum”