KA24E Code 35 Exhaust Gas Temp Senor Federal to CA Write-up

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
usdms13
Car: 90 niss 240sx

I decided to do this write up due to scarcity of information on this topic. It seems to be a common quarrel so here it goes. This is my first write up so please, be gentle.

So long story short, I got a ref ticket and was on the quest to get my car back to stock.(A string of words I thought I would never utter. Welcome to California!). I did get everything to operate properly on the car. So I proceeded to a test drive. CEL popped up about 2 minutes in. I go back. Check ECU and see that it’s a code 35- Exhaust Temp. Sensor Circuit. OK

So when I try locating said sensor, it’s not there. And there is a bolt in the spot where the sensor should be and no sign of the male plug associated with it. I then start on the hunt to see if I have a Federal or
CA 240. Used this for reference http://garage.projectraine.com/content_ ... mid01.html
So with all that being said, here we go...

The Exhaust Temperature Sensor is located on the EGR passage. Which is on the rear of the intake manifold on passenger side. It will have a 14mm bolt as a plug.

Once that is removed you will need to have a sensor for it. Here are the part numbers and other vehicles it is compatible with

ka24e EGT Automatic Trans Part #'s 14730D5500, 14730D5510
Same part on the following vehicles:
-1990 automatic 240sx
-97-99 Infiniti QX4
-96-00 Nissan Pathfinder

ka24e EGT Manual Trans Part #'s 1473019P00, 1473019P10
Same part on the following vehicles:
-1990 240sx M/T
-93-97 Nissan Altima
-88-93 Nissan D21 pick-up
-1998 Nissan Frontier
-90-93 Nissan Maxima
-1995 Nissan Pathfinder
-95-97 Nissan Pick up (hard body)
-93-98 Nissan Quest
-88-89 Nissan 300zx

Most of these cars can be found in the yards. Sensors cost $5 to $10 depending. New sensors are $90 to $120 Brand new depending.
Note: I had to cut the Altima EGT wire to get it out. It is in a F'd up spot between #2 and #3 intake runners. I just soldered the wires back together

Here are some of the ones i pulled from the yards. The 90-93 Maxima was the most abundant and easiest to get out. Just have to remove intake pipe and it right there. Sensor Bolt head is also a 14mm. It does not matter which trans is in the cars listed for the M/T :bigthumb:
All the sensors here are from 90-93 maximas

Next step if you decide to get one from the junk yard is to clean the sensor up. I used a wire disc on my drill and hit it with some carb cleaner afterwords. I also cleaned the connector with electrical parts cleaner and put some die electric grease in it.

Before Image
After Image

Next is to locate the Male socket plug for the sensor. It is in the sub harness that the Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wire is in. On passenger side on the bottom, near hard lines

Then remove the cap that covers the socket. Mine was a little hard to get off and ended up cutting it with a Dremel

Before:Image
After: Image

It is also a good idea to check the continuity from the male connector to ECU to be certain there is no breaks in the circuit.
Hook up one lead from black and red wire on socket (signal) to pin 8 on the the Harness plug. To test ground, use black pin from plug to pin 29 or 21. These are shared grounds with coolant, air temp and throttle position senors.

Now you just need to thread in the EGT sensor (which will take a while, can only use a wrench), and plug it in.

Then make sure that you fasten the plug securely so that is doesn't break the wires.

CEL gone! :dblthumb:

usdms13
Car: 90 niss 240sx

Quick follow up on this, parts were cross referenced but sensors for Maxima will NOT work. not the correct resistance. The Altima's are in the correct resistance range. And to check the Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor it says to put it in boiling water and check resistance change and resistance value at 100*C (212*F).
Resistance should decrease in response to temp increase.
Resistance @ 100*C: 85.3+-8.53k ohms

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”