K&N Air Filter(s)

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
redfox
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey Sedan

I have a 2009 G37 Journey sedan. It is my understanding that the engine requires TWO air filters. I have seen some favorable reviews of the K&N air filers on this forum. eBay offers K&N filters, but the ads seem to offer only ONE air filter for $40 - $50 apiece plus shipping. Is it correct to assume that I would have to purchase two of these air filters for a cost of over $100? The ebay ads do not specify if the purchase is for one or two filters. If for only one, the price is rather steep. If for the set of two, then it is reasonable.

OEM air filters here at the Albuquerque dealership run about $25 apiece. Are the K&N filters really worth the extra cash? Dealer said that these air filters had to be oiled prior to installation. True?
:confused:

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

redfox wrote:Dealer said that these air filters had to be oiled prior to installation. True?
:confused:
I've got K&N filters on all three of my Nissans, never had to pre-oil any of them. You need to re-oil them after you clean & wash them - unless you want to save the hassle and just trash the old one and drop in a brand new K&N. If you were buying the K&N filter to save money on filters doing that would defeat the purpose of buying a K&N in the first place.

If you're asking if it's worth it on a performance standpoint, you won't notice a difference using a K&N drop in OEM compatible filter. You may notice a difference using one of their performance kits, but (in my experience) the OEM style filters are really only worth the money if you're willing to wash, re-oil and reuse them. If you don't plan on doing that just get a regular filter and replace it when it's time.

redfox
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey Sedan

BusyBadger - Thanks for the insight, guess I'll stick with OEM when the time comes.

Redfox

g37man
Car: 2010 G37xS Sedan

Here is something to think about with K&N Filters.
I traded my 08 G37 for 2010 G37 and took the K&N filters
with me and dropped in the old OEM filters in the 08.

just in case you decide you want to buy a new G37 in
the future! :biggrin:

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

To clarify the K&N are preoiled when new and therefore don't need to be oiled. Do need to be reoiled after cleaning them (every 10k miles or so for me usually).

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I went with a dry-type filter this time around, and so far it's been great. The intake kit is a little pricy...but the sound is great! Plus you get a small bump in power :)

http://www.importpartspro.com/r2cpepopekit.html

TimelessClassic
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

BusyBadger wrote: I've got K&N filters on all three of my Nissans, never had to pre-oil any of them. You need to re-oil them after you clean & wash them - unless you want to save the hassle and just trash the old one and drop in a brand new K&N. If you were buying the K&N filter to save money on filters doing that would defeat the purpose of buying a K&N in the first place.
I just put a K&N air filter in my '03 G35. Hope it is as good as they say... :chuckle:

TimelessClassic
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

joe603 wrote:I went with a dry-type filter this time around, and so far it's been great. The intake kit is a little pricy...but the sound is great! Plus you get a small bump in power :)

http://www.importpartspro.com/r2cpepopekit.html
It turns out whoever was supposed to have installed KN air filter did not do so. I found a regular filter recently. I should open the hood more... :-(

Southern
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Coupe w/Premium and Navigation packages

Prolly never find a true test of G37s and K&N
But I found this an interesting comparison test.

http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/engin ... e-options/

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”