just got my first 240 today

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
mechanicalmoron

Driftnaut wrote:looks good!! im 17 and im still looking for my first 240 to start a build, but around here its hard to find one with no quarter panel damage, rust isnt a problem though
Quarter panel damage is manly.

OP, please wrap your header? Looks pretty, and shiny.... and deadly when your master cylinder catches on fire.

andre's240
Car: 1990 240sx s14 KA swapped

mechanicalmoron wrote:
Driftnaut wrote:looks good!! im 17 and im still looking for my first 240 to start a build, but around here its hard to find one with no quarter panel damage, rust isnt a problem though
Quarter panel damage is manly.

OP, please wrap your header? Looks pretty, and shiny.... and deadly when your master cylinder catches on fire.

would it be fine if i made a sheild out of sheet metal around the master cylinder? or would it be smarter to wrap it?

update: car runs perfect! just in need of a cat delete as the cat is clogged and loses power when heated up

andre's240

Ullusion wrote:Cool deal! Working on finding me an s14 and indeed, the search can be very frustrating! The cars are becoming fairly rare to find unmolested but you gotta stay hopeful, there out there. I may potentially be getting one this weekend if all goes well, so I will be posting my 'first' thread here possibly! Anyway, congrats on getting her started man and the engine looks nice by the way. Did you have much trouble pulling the KA for the first time?
it was super easy pulling the sohc out..had no trouble. i probably took 2-3 hours making sure i had everything unplugged and ready to go. it took less than 20 minutes to actually pull it out.

mechanicalmoron

andre's240 wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote: Quarter panel damage is manly.

would it be fine if i made a sheild out of sheet metal around the master cylinder? or would it be smarter to wrap it?

update: car runs perfect! just in need of a cat delete as the cat is clogged and loses power when heated up
I assume that if you made something like the stock heat shield, it would be fine. Wrap is just smaller and neater. Maybe you could consider both, I don't know.

Maybe a heat shield alone wouldn't do it, a header has a lot more hot surface area than the stock manifold, I'd think.

andre's240

I assume that if you made something like the stock heat shield, it would be fine. Wrap is just smaller and neater. Maybe you could consider both, I don't know. Maybe a heat shield alone wouldn't do it, a header has a lot more hot surface area than the stock manifold, I'd think.
thanks for the advice, ill probably wrap it then... and do any of you know what i need to delete my cat? (like downpipe, etc bc idk what i need)

mechanicalmoron

I believe it's called a "test pipe".

As though it's just for testing, or something....

You could make one easily if you can weld, or know someone who can.

Or you can hammer something through the cat, to "gut" it. But I'd consider that a great waste of money, and inadvisable anyways in case you need to revert for future emissions problems or legal changes/changes of residence. (a new OEM type cat of reasonable quality would really cost you, it's got platinum it it. There's plenty of cheap stuff with little catylist, but if you actually need to pass a test, it might not go so well, I don't know)

andre's240

mechanicalmoron wrote:I believe it's called a "test pipe".

Or you can hammer something through the cat, to "gut" it. But I'd consider that a great waste of money, and inadvisable anyways in case you need to revert for future emissions problems or legal changes/changes of residence. (a new OEM type cat of reasonable quality would really cost you, it's got platinum it it. There's plenty of cheap stuff with little catylist, but if you actually need to pass a test, it might not go so well, I don't know)
I have a couple friends with a shop that do state inspection and they said if I cut out the cat and put in a pipe they'll pass me.. Is it easy to make if I can weld? Bc we weld in class all the time and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make a pipe..

mechanicalmoron

andre's240 wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote:I believe it's called a "test pipe".

I have a couple friends with a shop that do state inspection and they said if I cut out the cat and put in a pipe they'll pass me.. Is it easy to make if I can weld? Bc we weld in class all the time and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make a pipe..
You reminded me that I do the same. Currently trying to find the dimensions of the whole thing, flanges, and holes (simple questions thread).

It just needs to be a pipe with two flanges, 4 holes total. Plain simple.

And, sometimes, arms so you can put your cat heat shield on it.

andre's240

wound up just gutting the cat...drove it for a couple weeks, and snagged a brand new set of coilovers for $325 off a friend. You bet your a** the 40 is scraping frame lol. Now there's another problem tho, the ka is knocking :( pretty set on going the Sr route, don't really think that rebuilding the ka to stock spec is worth it. Let me know what you guys think! Will be posting more pics at some point but my computer is retarded so I'm using my phone atm

warpanda
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx Base

I feel your pain andre, my s14's KA just recently started knocking as well. After rounding up the costs, I've decided to just swap in another KA with good compression ofcourse. In the future I'll plan on mildly building it to allow low amounts of boost from a pieced together turbo kit. Having a knocking KA w/ 2 blown cylinders, sent to the machine shop, and being rebuilt is just too costly for me right now though.

andre's240

I did the same lol, s14 ka blew up.. bought a s13 dohc out of an auto, mated it up with my trans and dropped it in, threw an isis single gt on it with a megan down pipe and a homemade test pipe...been driving it for about 2 months just fine. im going to swap my s14 intake onto it tho bc it gets real sluggish when it heats up and ive been told its because the s13 intake is setup like itb's. im ordering some xxr 527s tonight then trying to find an open diff to get welded along with a master cylinder/clutch fluid shield and a shield for my cold air intake. after that I just need a helmet and a fire extinguisher and ill be hitting up Englishtown for some club loose events!

mechanicalmoron

I can't help but notice you are still complaining of it being sluggish when warm. You said it was the cat (not something a cat would do) and now you don't have one..... the s13 ka has butterflies in the intake runners (I'm not entirely sure that the s14 doesn't....) but it shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with losing power when warm.

Maybe you have another bad motor. My cold compression is (for some reason) a fair bit higher than hot, for example. Or maybe you just expect more once you've been driving for a bit and your reflexes are a bit more tuned, and then your slow car is...... still slow. Cause it's a fact that 240s are slow.

F1fletch
Car: 96 240sx

Congrats - Take your time making it right..don't get in a rush like me...lol

andre's240

mechanicalmoron wrote:I can't help but notice you are still complaining of it being sluggish when warm. You said it was the cat (not something a cat would do) and now you don't have one..... the s13 ka has butterflies in the intake runners (I'm not entirely sure that the s14 doesn't....) but it shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with losing power when warm.

Maybe you have another bad motor. My cold compression is (for some reason) a fair bit higher than hot, for example. Or maybe you just expect more once you've been driving for a bit and your reflexes are a bit more tuned, and then your slow car is...... still slow. Cause it's a fact that 240s are slow.
yes 240s are slow.. I've been told by a ka guru that the s14 intake is setup a lil different and I could tell the difference between my new motor and the old one

and that is something a cat would do if it is clogged its not getting proper air flow and once we gutted it it made the car a lot faster

mechanicalmoron

andre's240 wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote:I can't help but notice you are still complaining of it being sluggish when warm. You said it was the cat (not something a cat would do) and now you don't have one..... the s13 ka has butterflies in the intake runners (I'm not entirely sure that the s14 doesn't....) but it shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with losing power when warm.

yes 240s are slow.. I've been told by a ka guru that the s14 intake is setup a lil different and I could tell the difference between my new motor and the old one

and that is something a cat would do if it is clogged its not getting proper air flow and once we gutted it it made the car a lot faster
Maybe it sounded different. It felt like you expected it to feel, because you expected it.

My motor burns around a quart of oil every hundred miles. I thought my cat would be clogged. I pulled it out and it was absolutely shiny and perfect inside. If you get your motor up to proper temp and step on it even once in a while, I simply don't believe it was clogged. No offense.

The butterflies are ITB's, but they react to the main throttle, and should not make that difference. If you want it to run like an s14 KA, you should probably consider the improved head, ignition system, etc, on the s14.

And again, you could have just put a bad motor in, if you never checked compression.

With wisdom like this.....betcha only blew an injector on the old one, in the first place.

andre's240

and that is something a cat would do if it is clogged its not getting proper air flow and once we gutted it it made the car a lot faster[/quote]
Maybe it sounded different. It felt like you expected it to feel, because you expected it.

My motor burns around a quart of oil every hundred miles. I thought my cat would be clogged. I pulled it out and it was absolutely shiny and perfect inside. If you get your motor up to proper temp and step on it even once in a while, I simply don't believe it was clogged. No offense.

The butterflies are ITB's, but they react to the main throttle, and should not make that difference. If you want it to run like an s14 KA, you should probably consider the improved head, ignition system, etc, on the s14.

And again, you could have just put a bad motor in, if you never checked compression.

With wisdom like this.....betcha only blew an injector on the old one, in the first place.[/quote]

first of all, dont talk down to me. second, my friends pulled the cat out and it was clearly clogged so they gutted it for me.. so tell me why it was lacking power but then as soon as the cat was done it pulled hard as hell? this also happened with my dads 300zx which we did the same thing and got the same results. and dont come in here actin like an elitest my man, my s14 ka was sure as hell blown. i sold it to a buddy who tore it down to rebuild it and you can clearly see the damage. if you're just gonna talk s*** go somewhere else

mechanicalmoron

andre's240 wrote:
first of all, dont talk down to me. second, my friends pulled the cat out and it was clearly clogged so they gutted it for me.. so tell me why it was lacking power but then as soon as the cat was done it pulled hard as hell? this also happened with my dads 300zx which we did the same thing and got the same results. and dont come in here actin like an elitest my man, my s14 ka was sure as hell blown. i sold it to a buddy who tore it down to rebuild it and you can clearly see the damage. if you're just gonna talk s*** go somewhere else
I don't think I'm an elitist.

But if you are convinced that it's a good motor, and want it to be the same as your old one, I'm sure your KA guru told you.... s14 emissions, head/cams/timing/ignition, computer, and probably other stuff, is different.

andre's240

mechanicalmoron wrote:
andre's240 wrote:
I don't think I'm an elitist.

But if you are convinced that it's a good motor, and want it to be the same as your old one, I'm sure your KA guru told you.... s14 emissions, head/cams/timing/ignition, computer, and probably other stuff, is different.
head/cams are the same, timing and ignition are different. and you have yo use s13 timing/ignition on an s14 ka in an s13

mechanicalmoron

andre's240 wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote: I don't think I'm an elitist.

head/cams are the same, timing and ignition are different. and you have yo use s13 timing/ignition on an s14 ka in an s13
I'm just going to quote this, so that it stays here....

andre's240

you might as well correct me if im wrong since you've already proven the fact that you're a complete douche.. bc im not sure if we're thinking of the same thing

bella1li12013
Car: Nissan

Although I'm, new to here,still excited for seeing beautiful pics of ur car.I think everyone must get a favorite objects,just like me,Cube is still my love.

pepesilvia
Car: 96 S14

andre's240 wrote: sweet GTR poster right? (courtesy of cherry hill nissan :bigthumb: ) [imghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/425486_3011136395184_1165728080_32490285_2139913659_n.jpg][/img]
finally out! Image
i was reading through this thread and noticed this part about the GTR poster. I have the same on hanging in my room hahahaha

andre's240

pepesilvia wrote:
andre's240 wrote: sweet GTR poster right? (courtesy of cherry hill nissan :bigthumb: ) [imghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/425486_3011136395184_1165728080_32490285_2139913659_n.jpg][/img]
finally out! Image
i was reading through this thread and noticed this part about the GTR poster. I have the same on hanging in my room hahahaha
haha cherry hill nissan is always giving us free stuff like that

andre's240

pic update, ill try to get an engine bay pic soon
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hoping these work

mechanicalmoron

I like the no-bs look of fat wheels with no flares or rolling. (since you're doing it that way, there's no shame in fat tires, you know - rubber on the ground is more important than looks)

Looks good.

andre's240

i slightly rolled the rears bc they were rubbing, it doesnt look different but the fender is flat, theres no little flap inside. i didnt feel the need to do the front bc its not that low and it doesnt rub at all, i am considering going lower in the front im just afraid of rubbing through the harness bc i sont have the fender liners

andre's240

going ka-t.. picked up my friends set up with a blown turbo for about $500 for everything except a good turbo and a fuel pump.. walbro is in the mail and im currently working on snaggin a t25 this week.. running stock internals at 7 psi to last me till i get out of school, hoping to pick up another ka by christmas time to start building up to handle 10-12psi..ill try to throw up some pics as it comes along but im trying to start it this weekend and finish it before the end of the week when i go away for school.. this should get quite interesting

andre's240

so i had to wait to build it because time didnt permit and i needed the 240 to be reliable i have got everything sitting in my room, still need a clutch, boost/oil psi gauges, battery relocation. picked up another s14 ka with low miles out of an auto thats clean as hell.. borrowed a motor stand from my old tech teacher and should be tearing it down within the next couple weekends to install my cometic headgasket and arp head studs. ill be posting pictures as i go!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”