Just got a used 97 max (Auto). What can I do to improve MPG?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ctguitarguy

Hey everyone, i had a 97 automatic altima whos tranny has been going for awhile, and would cost far too much for me to fix so i went and got me my first maxima. This is a 1997 maxima GLE automatic, with about 126k miles on it (i got it for 2800). I just got the thing, but so far it runs very well, but then again im no mechanic. So i have done some research and i know the basic things i can do to increase mpg, tire pressure, A/C, etc.

I want to be proactive this time around (unlike the altima) and do all the maintenance stuff sooner then later, what would you guys recommend i do? Full tune ups? tranny fluid flushes? fuel filter replacement? etc etc. I don't know what oil the prior owner used, but i'm guessing the standard petroleum based stuff. I know maxima's are gas hogs, especially the 90's models, but i really liked these cars none the less and decided to get one anyway and wanted to know what i could do to get the best mpg's out of the car (beyond making sure i drive conservatively).

Whatever you guys do recommend i do in terms of maintenance/servicing, please be sure to mention the best brands/model parts for this as well, so i can get the best bang for the buck, i figure these cars are so common you guys will know exactly what i need.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Make sure the engine can breathe well and properly lubricated as well as the transmission. That means fluid replacement. Clean/check the entire air intake - air filter, MAF sensor and Throttle Body. Replace air filter annually. Clean the MAF sensor with zero-residue contact cleaner or CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner. Clean the Throttle body with Carb Cleaner but DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY INTO THE BUTTERFLY VALVE AND BODY (use a rag).

Check the level and color of the transmission fluid. Highly recommended to have a transmission flush but unless you have a record of previous service, most shop will refuse it due to liability issue. Your other option is to do a pan drop, clean the pan and magnets and then do multiple drain and refill.

A 30 weight oil, 'dino' or synthetic should do the job up to 3750 miles OCI, longer with synthetic oil.

Check the brake fluid, If it's dark/black, time to replace it. Contaminated fluid can cause brake failure in an emergency.

Check the level and condition of other fluids - power steering, coolant, etc, and replace as required.

Spark plugs are typically replaced at 60K miles though OEM plugs are rated up to 105,000 miles. It would be better if you have a Maintenance history of that car so you can make the appropriate servicing.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”