Junkyard parts "upgrades" for a Y33

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
TylerW
Car: 1990 240SX

Hey guys:

I have a '98 Q45t that I bought back in February to use as my trip car on my work assignments. That I have...it had 198K at the end of Feb and today it has right around 223K miles :yesnod

Has been stone reliable...only expenses so far have been a set of tires and rear brakes.

On to my question: This was a garaged car and outside it's still very nice. However, inside there are some areas getting ragged, such as the steering wheel, the driver armrest and the vinyl sides of the driver's seat.

Today I went to a junkyard here in the Huntsville Al area that is new to me. This place is a scrapyard that also let's people walk in and pull parts off except that it resembles something from Mad Max instead of the nicely manicured places like LKQ and Pull-a-part.

After getting over my shock at that, I walked around the whole place looking for a part for a project('73 Dart Sport 340). I didn't find that, but I DID find 3 Y33's...2 '97's and a '99. I guess you can see where this is headed.

Besides the usual battery disconnect precautions, would there be anything keeping me from swapping in the nice steering wheel and driver seat from one of the '97's into my '98?

Also, that '99 has the analog clock that I would like having in my car :dblthumb: Is that a plug a and play in the '97-98 or a don't go there?

I think I'm going to pick up the Xenon lights also and consider that swap down the road....maybe. They quoted me CHEAP prices on all this stuff. It'll just get crushed if I don't grab it.

Also, for the Gen 1 guys there was 1 Gen 1 Q45 but there were so many weeds around it I couldn't get to it. Q45's are rare in junkyards down here, and I've only seen 3 other Gen 2's(no t's) on the road and no Gen 1's or 3's.

Thanks for any advice.

TylerW
Car: 1990 240SX

Oh come on guys...I know you are out there. I can hear you breathing.

Well I'll just forge ahead on this. I'm sorry, but reality is that these cars don't have the aristocracy that the fan base seems to still attribute to them. I figured that out when I saw a couple of them pulling out from the section 8 housing projects recently. So, I don;t feel bad about using Autozone/generic ebay parts on it, along with junkyard parts. Let's all say it together....parts from the junnnnnnkkkkyarddddd :biggrin:

Just teasing you guys....great cars, let's keep 'em going.

vmullane
Car: 2008 Nissan Armada SE
1993 Nisan 240SX

If I remeber correctly the analong clock from the 99 requires the dash to be swapped. I owned a 98 T and a 99 T and was interested in that but then decided to sell the 98. With the headlights there are motors that control the aiming of them up and down. You could probably get away without swapping those in but the control is on the dash. There should be a post on here about converting your headlamps into hids.

For the sterring wheel that shouldnt be an issue about swapping it over.

vmullane
Car: 2008 Nissan Armada SE
1993 Nisan 240SX

Also where are you located. I need a new Driver side headlamp assembley for my 99. Would you be willing to pull it and ship it to me??? How much if so?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I thought just the center stack needed to be changed to have the later analog clock, but I could be a wrong....

The steering wheel and seat should swap over just fine. If you swap the lights, I'd clip the wiring harness too. I doubt the plugs are the same so you'd probably have to splice the 2 together.. Not a big deal, as I'm sure the brackets and everything are the same, but having the pigtail will make life a lot easier.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

If it is just the leather on the wheel that is trashed you can do a wheel skin, I had one professionally installed in 300ZX many years ago and it still looks great.

I think the analog clock is a direct swap..I thought about that, but I just did a new Double DIN radio with steaming blue tooth and the car now looks a lot more modern.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

I thought about the analog clock upgrade, but never got too serious. the center surround has to be replaced at minimum, grab the HVAC control head as I think those were different also. Wes idea about the harness stubs is right on--nothing worse than mismatched connectors.
+1 on the wheelskin.
my console armrest wasn't too bad, but the driver's door armrest peeled.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

Will pay one trillion dollars for an intact cup separator for y33 cupholder. Pay only by check.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”