Joe Biden thinks that Hillary Clinton should not be President

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

So he is considering running against her for the Dem nonimation: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/us/po ... paign.html

Democrats think that she may have too much baggage ... with unresolved issues, I guess.

Z

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I'd consider voting for Biden's wife. Smart lady. I disagree with the thread title that he thinks HRC should not be president. I think it's more that he believes he'd be a better one if elected. Title is kinda misleading. I honestly don't know if he could win against what appears to be a pretty weak Republican field. Although he's a seasoned politician, he has some baggage of his own, with a reputation of occasionally saying things that make people scratch their heads. That might not play so well with the instant internet shaming process that has become so much more nasty since he became Veep.

szh

Bubba1 wrote:I disagree with the thread title that he thinks HRC should not be president. I think it's more that he believes he'd be a better one if elected. Title is kinda misleading.
Okay, accepted correction.

Regardless, I think that Biden and Obama (and maybe many senior Democrat party folks too?) are starting to think that Hillary Clinton may have too much baggage to get elected.

Hence, the desire to put up another candidate ...

Z

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I think Bernie Sanders' success thus far has also shown the DNC that Hillary might be vulnerable, even with the side show going on with the RNC. At this point, I'd be mildly surprised if Biden runs as I read the recent death of his son hit him pretty hard. We'll see.

szh

Now, the Clinton camp is concerned too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/us/po ... biden.html

Z

szh

Joe Biden has decided not to run ... too late to get going is the ostensible reason. But he did have some strong words for Hillary Clinton when he announced this.

President Obama was also present at that announcement ... wonder why? Did he lean on Biden not to run perhaps?

Z

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Biden was not being dishonest when he told the world, for twelve agonizing weeks, that he was unsure whether to run. In a series of interviews for a Profile in The New Yorker, Biden expressed persuasive misgivings about his age and the strain another campaign would put on his family. But he also made clear that he regarded the decision to run as something more than a political question; it got to the essence of how he envisioned the next phase of his life. He said, “I watched my father. I made a mistake in encouraging him to retire. I just think as long as you think you can do it and you’re physically healthy—” He trailed off.

The arguments against his candidacy were impossible to ignore: he has high favorability ratings, and a surge of good will surrounding the death, in May, of his son, Beau, but other numbers were inauspicious. In a recent New Hampshire poll by the Boston Globe, he drew only eleven per cent support—far behind Hillary Clinton, at thirty-seven per cent, and Bernie Sanders, at thirty-five per cent. When CNN asked people, in August, if Biden should enter the race, slightly more than half said he should. But when they asked the question again recently, more people said he should not. Moreover, the theory goes, as an outgoing Vice-President, with a long center-left voting record in the Senate, Biden was poorly positioned to challenge Sanders from the left, and would have been forced to compete with Clinton for mainstream Democratic voters. Had he put temperament and instinct above political calculation, it would have been a preview of his vulnerability as a candidate.

After Clinton had established a broad lead, there remained one especially tempting reason to run. Once it became clear that the other Democratic challengers—Martin O’Malley, Jim Webb, and Lincoln Chaffee—were immaterial, Biden faced the once-unimaginable prospect that the next person in line, in the event that Clinton stumbles, was Bernie Sanders, who has been, for most of Joe Biden’s political career, little more than a venerable irritant. Clinton has been having a good month, but the election is thirteen months away. If, for any reason, Clinton is not the Party’s choice, Joe Biden will now have to bear watching Bernie Sanders contend for the job that Biden has wanted for six decades.

Biden would have had to begin with no money (and no love for raising it), no staff, and no organization in the states. He would have been equipped with little more than a fervent belief that he could be President and an appetite for politics that is inexhaustible even by Washington standards. The former Senator George Mitchell once told me a story of working the phones with Biden, when they were trying to rally support for a bill in the mid-nineties. “Usually a senator would come to me, the majority leader, and say ‘Well, here’s a problem. Can you get the votes?’ Then they go off to dinner.” But Biden asked Mitchell to join him in calling every Democrat at home, a process that lasted until after two in the morning. “After a while, I was up to No. 8, and he was still on No. 2,” Mitchell said, “I said, ‘Joe, I know you want to explain this thing to these guys, but you’ve to got be a little more concise.’ ”

And that is what makes his decision especially memorable. Biden is giving up his last chance at the role that he has always wanted—and a bet that he believes his son Beau wanted him to place. “As my family and I have worked through the grieving process, I’ve said all along…It may very well be that that process, by the time we get through it, closes the window on mounting a realistic campaign for president, that it might close,” Biden said. “I’ve concluded that it has closed.”

Return to “Politics Etc.”