JL's Skyline GTR - From Stock to Finish Done Right- R32 Metallic Red Pearl

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
archaeicbloke
Car: Skyline GTR

well tonights update is about the movie, and only pics!
we finished the raw filming tonight for this movie we're working on, we've got SOOO much footage to go through, we've been collecting since the start of summer, I don't imagine we'll have time to sit down and start sorting it all out even till christmas, we're both pretty busy in school at the moment.

I wanna give a big thanks to mark, mitch, frank and pete for helping out so much with this tonight, s*** was so cash//... as a sample of tonights efforts heres some really sick photos mark took:
this ones my favorite:

heres pete doin what he does best:

we've managed to film some REALLY incredible things, i think everyone will be super happy with this film when its done. it's going to be somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes long, so an actual short film

archaeicbloke

so today... *sigh* went to the SAAQ and put my car into "storage" for the winter...so its officially away for the season now... and i decided to start the day off with the most important information...

i needed to know after a full season of running my 2860-5 turbos on OEM injectors at 0.9 bar all summer, how things were holding up, mostly because i need to think about my winter plans, if i found one or two cylinders with bad compression numbers, then i would know im gonna have to pull the motor again... so, i started off by pulling the plugs, now i know that the standard ecu switchs to knock maps and retards the timing when the injectors reach max duty... which i know was happening sometimes because you can actually feel it when ur driving... also its obvious because the exhaust becomes saturated with black soot and smoke...

so i know for a fact my car WAS switching to knock maps for any boost above 0.8... basically that last little spike to 0.9 would cause it to rich up.
so needless to say i expected to see some carbon on my plugs:

yep... black carbon on plugs... BUT no where near as bad as i thought it would... actually they looked pretty effin good!!!
so i unplugged everything else and dropping in the compression tester...

GOOD NEWS! every single cylinder was above 150, with pretty much zero deviation... from the looks on the scale of the dial its about 154 PSI across all 6 cylinders...

excellent news... this means for the second season in a row, i've managed to enjoy the hell out of my car, and keep it running in PERFECT condition the entire time...

this also means its time to start thinking about what i wanna do over winter... you guys got any suggestions as to what i should work on for the winter? im all ears at this point!!

Papadirty
Car: 2003 honda accord V6 running 302whp

Amazing, just simply amazing. You know, I'm only over here in Labrador, not far if you ever want to sell your car :) Nothing better then seeing someone put this much time and effort into their car

archaeicbloke

@ Papadirty haha well depending on how serious you are feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.....

ok... don't have much time about to go to a christmas party.. but i had to update... its been too long.

birthday came and went (thanks everyone for the Bday wishes!) and my GF bought me this kit... mastercraft... lifetime garantee... :D

Then I bought this Cusco front swaybar off a forum member... I'm looking for replacement swaybar links front and back though still so if u know where i can get some lemme know! so far only whiteline but they say there stuff only fits on whiteline sway bars... grrr

Then, I went crazy one night on yahoo auctions, shot an email to adam and he hooked it up about 10 days later:

Denso 660 cc injectors... gotta get em flow tested first just to make certain they're good... anyone know a good flow test place?

Blitz SBC Spec-R Dual Solenoid boost controller :)... need a JP translator for those instructions tho.. anyone got a link to engrish version? lol

BNR34 Engine ornament plate... yep... engine bay color scheme is in progress!!! gonna be a surprise... something unique.

Rays Red duraluminum locking nut set - long type... wanted these for SOOO long

and Sard 280 L/hr in tank fuel pump

archaeicbloke

thanks everyone for the msgs! I now have the blitz instructions in english... thank you very much. its gonna help a lot lol...

also thanks for the suggestions on injector flowing companies, ill be giving them a ring in january.

so, i won't let anyone near my new nuts either for fear of scrapping them.lol

well... this isn't a huge update, but its news none the less...

I'm placing another order for a rear sway bar and new rear bushing kit for the end links.. i wanted new front links but my oems are not worn out at all, in fact they're like brand new! and since i can't find any aftermarket "strengthened" ones, theres no point in putting new oems.

well for christmas my GF hooked it up once again! after getting me a bunch of tools for my birthday, she thought i should have a tool chest to keep everything neat and tidy!... very happy with this. every tool has a place, and it's all labeled and easy to find and organized... mmmmmm lovin it.

So it encouraged me to clean up my whole work area... its far from a true shop, but its the best i can do at the moment...lol... and finally its a nice clean environment to work in again, im sure that will all change once i get my hands dirty in january though hahah.

well heres basically what on my list of things to do for January:

- install front sway bar
- bring front rims to P. Jacques to fix curb rash and small ding.
- install Blitz SBC (first i need to get a pneumatic fitting for the controller though... anyone know any pneumatic shops?)
- get injectors flow tested
- remove engine bay pieces and send off to powder coating (not telling color scheme or which pieces just yet...)
- do a full inspection on the underside of the car and evaluate how well the POR-15 job held up
- book a dyno tuning session for early spring - he will also swap the fuel pump and injectors at the same time.
- finish the center console....

and that brings me to my latest acquisition, boxing day shopping resulted in a new stereo... which I've been with out audio in this car since day one...lol... so this pioneer unit will do everything i want it to (which isnt much lol) and keeps with the color theme (red) and will finish off the center console... can't wait to install it, although i have a feeling my front speakers are blown and ill be heading out to replace them soon enough...hahah

and last but not least.... here she sits... awaiting the new upgrades anxiously

archaeicbloke

Time for a LOL update.....

This past summer, a group of youths lifted my 4 tire valve stem caps and ran away with them!... called the police but naturally they never showed up to file my complaint... typical Canadian police...LOL. anyways, I'm not sure long these will manage to stay on my tires, but figured they fit the theme none the less. minor details.... minor details.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I forgot about this build!!!

Keep up the good work :dblthumb:

180wanabe
Car: 90 240 hatch with 91 dual cam

Ur build is looking real Good!!! one question how do you like the ams camber arms i've been looking at driftworks ones but since i'm in the states it would be cheaper or easier to get the ams's

mindovaanything
Car: S13 Hatch

this build is amazing, great thread.

archaeicbloke

the AMS arms have held up perfectly, would totally recommend them to everyone.

thanks for the kind words

It's done...I got the idea for this when somebody suggested to another forum member to write a book full of "how-to's" and stuff... I figured this would be free, online and easier for the world to access..

If anybody finds typo's or broken links please let me know Via PM... and if you have any suggestions on how to make it better, I would love to hear your input!

http://www.skyline-life.blogspot.com/

thanks!!!

Papadirty

Very nice guide. I'm still fighting between a 240sx and a skyline. Each time I make up my mind and go looking I second guess myself. Bookmarked the how to s just to be sure haha.

Also, anyone want to explane what "knock maps" and all that about the PSI being .9 bar? I understand what a turbo is and how it works, but aren't most people running and 1 bar and not having an issue?

archaeicbloke

thanks bud!

well knock"" refers to pre-detonation, meaning that before the spark plug can ignite the fuel, the sheer heat and pressure in the cylinder causes the air/fuel mix to explode pre-maturely. with standard fuel injectors and -5 upgraded turbos, the new turbos are significantly bigger than oem ones, so flowing 1 bar with standard turbos is do-able on std injectors, but flowing 1 bar with upgraded turbos is not, the injectors cannot keep up.

remember its not just the absolute pressure... 1 bar at stock turbos will flow like XX cfm, where upgraded turbos at 1 bar might 35% more air at the same pressure... more air needs more fuel and the stock injectors cannot cope. when you don't have enough fuel in the mix, you get "knock" very easily,and knock kills engines.

Papadirty

Do you get your JDM parts from a dealer in Montreal? I'm over here in St Johns Newfoundland now doing my Automotive tech trade, and I'm trying to find a few places to order JDM parts from. I've made up my mind and I'm going to either import a skyline or buy one in canada this summer and I'm collecting a few parts here and there while I'm still in school (Got a CF front lip so far).

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

Just saying hi from Halifax. Awesome build/write up and continuing story. DO NOT end the story by wrecking it. If you come out to Halifax in the summer send me a PM.

idreamofzombies
Car: '94 Ford Ranger XLT

Just wanted to drop by and say I've followed this from the beginning pretty much, and holy hell, you have one clean R32. I'd love to own one one day.

archaeicbloke

hey papadirty, I get most of my parts now from Adam @ Feast, excellent supplier. the shops in town are mostly junk shops now, since the RHD ban... I would say don't bother importing, just buy one of the many 500 whp $15,000 Qc cars, theres like 4 or 5 up for sale right now, all around that price range, with wicked power.

@ QR25DE haha, I don't plan on wrecking it, thanks for the support!

@ Idreamofzombies, thanks a lot man, really appreciate the kind words.

Well, I got some new parts over the last few weeks, so it's time for a small update...

after doing some research I did a small write up on Sway-bars for the GTR, comparing aftermarket to OEM etc, and added it to the "how-to" guides on my site, here's a link to that: http://skyline-life3.blogspot.com/p/swa ... steer.html

Mostly I did that because I got one for the rear now too, CMR 30mm rear swaybar and pineapple link bushings, This should help fix the under-steer!

I also managed to pick up a great new steering wheel! thanks to someone on the forums! ;) Momo Chapmion, 352mm with suede on the top third.

With the launch of my website things are super busy, I'm not sure when I'll have time to install all this stuff, but when I do I'll post up the results!
About the website, It's going very well, really cool having people all around the world contribute, all about skyline stuff, everyday. If you haven't checked it out yet heres the link: www.skyline-life.blogspot.com

I'll be getting a private domain name soon enough and moving away from the blogspot thing, if anyone wants the feed, you can pick up the feed for it here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/NissanSkylineGtr-AWayOfLife

archaeicbloke

Did some solid work today....

I made a complete step by step guide, on how to change your steering wheel from OEM to aftermarket using a HICAS adapter boss: http://skyline-life.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... r-all.html

Yanked off the old one:

and put on the new one:

littlemimus
Car: mazdaspeed protege

soooo jealous :(

archaeicbloke

With the help of a friend yesterday, I finally had time to tie up a lot of the loose ends I've been working on. I started off by doing a little write up on a very basic subject that I've had some requests for, so consider those requests fulfilled! Jacking the car up off the ground, here's the write up: http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/how ... yline.html

Next I installed some new R34 seats into my R32, not exactly direct swap, but I got it sorted in the end. I've added this whole new bit to my full build story here, it starts from day one and goes to today... a long read but tons of photos and videos: http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/sec ... build.html

Lastly, I finished the write up on swaybars, understeer and oversteer, including a section on installing new ones here:http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/swa ... steer.html
I removed the old oem r32 swaybars and put in a Cusco up front and a CMR in the rear:

gettin' some solid work done finally lol, thinking about doing the wiring for the new stereo today and finishing off the interior, without giving too much of whats to come I will say this:

1) the car is now fully insured
2) the license plate has been taken out of storage for winter and is now eligible to drive on the roads :)
3) I have an apointment over the next few days for an oil change, spark plug change at the shop
4) Ive started communicating with a tuner in the area, and we'll be going for 17 or 18 PSI....

lots of good things to come!

archaeicbloke

Last night the car went in to Autoworx to cover a few things and take it out of storage for the summer, which is fast approaching. But before dropping the car off I had another friend over during the day helping me to finish the new wiring for the speakers, and install the pioneer radio. We got it finished in time and I must say I'm really starting to smile from the way the center console is looking, It's so very close to being done. I haven't snapped any pics of it yet, but I will post them as soon as I do.

Anyways, we dropped the car off at Autoworx, and I left them a "short" list of
stuff to do, and be ready for pick up friday by 6pm, as always, they more than happily obliged. First of all they drained the oil from the engine, and emptied the oil cooler lines and core as well, and changed the oil filter. They replaced the oil with Motul 15W50 this time.

Next up was the spark plugs, replaced those as well with the usual NGK-R, since I told them I planned on heading to the dyno soon they also did a rather thorough inspection to make sure we'd be ready and safe for the dyno. They ended up finding one small coolant drip from a banjo bolt on the rear turbo, tightening it resolved the issue, two clamps had broken on one of the lower power steering lines, resulting in a small drip, so they replaced the old clamps and that fixed that.

They also inspected the vacuum lines for any leaks, the suspension for any worn parts, and found everything to be in good order. Next they did a compression test, unsurprisingly found all six cylinders above 155, so thats good. Then Balanced the wheels, deflated all the tires and rotated them on the rims to optimize balance without using weights. Lastly they installed the new 280 L/hr Sard In-Tank fuel pump to replace the oem GTR pump.

Driving this car is such a pleasure, it feels like its riding on rails. I haven't boosted it past 8 PSI yet because I'm still on last seasons gas, so when that runs out and I can put new 94 in, we'll be good to go. As for the dyno session, I'll be calling soon to make an appointment, things are moving along well.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

What do you expect from a power perspective?

archaeicbloke

ok Updates time!: so I think I'm gonna end up tuning with shell V-power 91 octane, a few of my buddies have tuned with that and they report good success. I have some pics to share from the last couple days.... first, my plugs that Autoworx pulled out:

Lots of Carbon build up, obviously still running rich for lack of tune lol, and because I'm still babying the car, no full throttle 8000 rpm runs yet either... very soon though!

Realistically I'll be happy with anything over 400 horses at the wheels, I want a SUPER safe tune hitting 18 PSI... each tuner I've spoken to has said thats 100% possible with my setup, just depends on the dyno. If i tune with robin @ Almasi it'll be a dynapak dyno, so probably around 430 whp on that, or if I tune with ACSP its a mustang dyno so the numbers will be lower by like 20% cause its a much tougher dyno and we'll be lucky to see 400 wheel hp on the mustang.

anyway here's a couple more pics of the center console, I added a rubber trim around the edges of the defi link controller, and finished setting up the gauges. everythings working pretty good at the moment, all that's left to do is install the Blitz boost controller, I'll probably do that later this week as haig explained the best way, and it seems simple enough.

Driving with the new swaybars is 100% different than it used to be, I won't fully know how the under/over steer is until I have the chance to really push it in a corner, but as for handling at the moment, its sharp, very sharp. Switching lanes on the highway is just a flick of the wrist, and it even on the banked turns (like the one going onto highway 13 north from the 20 west, for those of you who know this area) the car stays very flat, and feels very agressive. I will admit that it did take some getting used to the new setup, at first it felt very twitchy and difficult to drive, but im warming up to the sensitivity.

oh yah, pics;

archaeicbloke

K so this is replicated from my website: http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/04/dyn ... 0-whp.html

and heres a video clip: http://youtu.be/Ai4zBWfqt7g

I dropped the car off at ACSP in Laval last night to give Pat enough time at his own pace to take care of the little things that needed to be done before we could tune, and he agreed to call me up when it was ready for the dyno so I could be there to setup the boost controller and watch the whole thing.

During the day Pat rewired my Fuel pump with a new relay to supply 13 Volts constantly to the pump. This helps to make sure fuel will always be where it needs to be, and helps to prevent against a short in the old wiring harness for the fuel pump.

Then he had to weld in a bung for his Wide-band O2 sensor, socket my ECU to accept the new tune and lastly install the bigger 660 cc injectors, which were apparently quite difficult to get inside the oem fuel rail, but he managed.

The Dyno at ACSP is a Mustang Dyno, one of the lowest reading dyno's on the market. This is because the power is recorded by whats being delivered through the tires, and onto the "rolling road". The Mustang Dyno gives the most accurate real world reading of power and torque but the downside is your numbers end up looking a little conservative compared to other dyno's that read at the hubs, which always read significantly higher because there is no rolling inertia from the wheels, and zero slipping. On the Mustang Dyno there's the possibility that the wheels will slip sometimes on the rollers and you can see blips in the torque and power curve, but these are easy to spot as they will both dip sharply at the exact same time, and only for a brief second until the wheels get traction again.
He put the car in position, and locked it down with chains and straps, put the giant blower fan in front of the car so that air would still be moving through the intercooler and radiator and got started with programming the ECU.
First thing to do was have a quick check through the systems and make sure everything was all good. Given the all clear from diagnostics he started by adjusting for the bigger fuel injectors, with a few light pulls at the lowest possible boost setting of 15 PSI the car was producing an astonishing 320 wheel horse power! (whp). He was a little shocked at how much power it could put down with so little tuning effort, so he got deeper into it, adjusting the fuel and timing maps from A to Z, he checked every cell and made sure it was a Super safe tune.
I made it clear from the beginning that my goal was not power out right, but more reliability. What good is power if you blow the engine in a week! So he continued to refine the maps and eventually got up to 360 whp in 3rd gear, we were all amazed that 15 PSI was able to hit such good power numbers, and the power curve was smooth as hell too! He had tuned a stock GTR with mods similar to mine that morning, except running oem turbos and at the same boost level that car was making 20 whp less, so thats the difference the 2860R-5's make at 15 PSI, 20 whp
He explained to me that we dyno tune in third gear because it provides the best resolution, he also explained a little bit about pulling the ignition timing some ten degrees or so, but a lot of the technical jargon is lost on me at this point.
With the low boost setting complete it was time to raise it up to the target max boost setting we planned of 18 PSI, after some fiddling around with the Blitz SBC-R we managed to land exactly at 18 pounds, he did a few pulls in third and ironed out the kinks in the maps, we then let the car cool down for a few minutes before seeing how much power it could put down.
We went up to fourth gear this time because fourth has a direct one to one (1:1) gearing ratio so it gives the most accurate power output readings, and since the tuning was essentially done, it was now time to see what this thing could really do! we watched the numbers climb just north of 400 whp before we maxed out the stock air flow meters at 6,750 RPM, damn we were all a little disappointed because this engine just wanted more! and it was willing to give us more too! we just ran out of room on the MAFs. Oh well the point was made, and the tuning complete. Pat figures that if we didn't hit the MAF limit so soon, we would have seen a max power output of 415 whp, which is an immense amount of power.

So, because I wanted a print out with a nice graph, we went back into third gear and he did one big easy pull and laid down 390 whp with 303 ft-lbs of torque on a relatively smooth curve, and he reminded me again that these numbers are really conservative and don't really mean a whole lot compared to other Dynos.
He handed me the keys and my buddy Mitch (who'd stopped by to say hello) and I went for a few quick pulls up and down the street. Mitch's car develops north of 500 whp and is a monstrous machine so he was warning me about being careful when driving this car until I get used to the new power level. Essentially it's more than double the power I've been used to handling so far.

In first gear, I let out the clutch and we were away... boost comes in pretty early and hits full near 4,650 RPM. At 1.2 Bars (18 PSI) in first gear, theres not much of anything left in my brain, sheer and utter violence as the car accelerates into oblivion, its only describable as warp speed! before I knew it I was already at 7,600 RPM!! Time to shift, Drop it into to second and the madness begins all over again, all the way up to 7,800 RPM this time we're already doing well over 120 km/hr!! Into third gear now its just mind boggling, its so hard to process all the things around you at that kind of speed, the G-force from acceleration makes it feel like theres an elephant sitting on your chest, and I let off the throttle as we approached the end of the road.

Quickly turned the car around and went even harder back down the street, we stopped back at the shop and Mitch and I were both just sort of giggling nervously, its a Lot of power, and will definitely need some time and practice to get used to.

Feeling very satisfied that all my hard work had paid off, and the tune was perfect, I shook hands with Pat, thanked him for a job well done and parted ways.

archaeicbloke

okay,

So a bit of an update... I blew my ACT Clutch... I did a full write up on why it happened and all the damage with lots of photos here: http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/05/blo ... fused.html

but basically... the light weight flywheel caused there to be too much heat and the whole assembly fused together and broke!

You can see more of the damage...

For the time being, I have replaced my setup with a new oem flywheel and a Stage 3 Bully Clutch. Bully is a Canadian company based out of Ottawa, so I was able to get the clutch for my car in less than a week. They also offer 90 day warranty which will cover my summer time use, and they've assured me it will be able to handle my car no problem. So far I can say the clutch feel is very light, and the heavier rotating mass is noticeable through a now slower engine response, but it holds the power well. Haven't had the chance to really drive it hard though as I'm still under the break in period for another 350 km's.

s13eddie
Car: 93' 240sx vert

OMG, I have that same pioneer! :) lol

archaeicbloke

It's a decent unit eh... lol

Ok so I got something new today... I came across a decent deal on the auctions a few weeks back for a Cusco brake master cylinder stopper brace, Adam delivered and I received it in the post today. I installed it right away.

It's not as easy to install as it looks like it would be, because its in such a cramped area you have to remove the strut tower bar, the throttle cable and the fuel filter in order to get enough room to turn the wrench.

It's braced on 3 points on the chassis, and after about an hour I had it completely installed. I was skeptical as to how much of a difference it could possibly make, but from even just adjusting the screw which applies pressure on to the cylinder, you could see the cylinder moving quite freely, which tells me normally that cylinder is probably fairly loose. So I do expect to feel a difference when braking.

Here's a pic I took few days ago, thought it looked nice. :)

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”