jack stands

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
matttail
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Hey all,

Just wondering where people here are putting jack stands. I've got a floor jack and know where the front and back jacking points are... but where do you put the jack stands, and are you using some sort of an adapter?

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

matttail wrote:Just wondering where people here are putting jack stands.
Go to http://www.nissanversatech.com and watch the "how to change a tire" video. It has pictures of where to lift the body at.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

I think he means where do you put the jackstands since the lift would be in the way. I've bent it a little bit under there over this.

matttail

Right, I've got a hydraulic floor/garage jack that I'll use to raise the entire front or back of the car at once. I read in the FSM GI-43 about which main structure beams to use my jack on. However, as said above if you put the jack stands on the pinch welds where you would use the car's jack they will bend and it's not very stable. I was just wondering if other people were using alternative sites for the jack stands or if they had bought/made an adapter for the pinch welds and their jack stands. I've got a table saw and I'm thinking of cutting a 2x4 for the job, but would like other's advice.

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

I usually use my jack on the front mount area with a piece of 2x4 about 6" long. The body is stiff enough that it will lift that side of the car. I can't get a jack under the subframes to lift the entire front or rear due to the lowering springs and spliter I have on mine.

matttail

A floor jack, garage jack, or hydraulic floor jack are all words for the same thing. This is the item that will lift your car up off the ground for you. The function of this device is exactly the same as the jack you've got down next to the spare tire, except the floor jack is bigger and faster, and can lift the entire front of the car at once. Such a jack as I am talking about looks like this, and I know how to use it:

You should NEVER get underneath a car that is only supported by a floor jack, it's not stable enough. If you need to do work underneath the car you'll need to support the car with something more stable. This is where jack stands come in:
Jacks stands will hold the car, either in the front, back, or both, once you have raised it up with a jack.

My question has been, where are people putting the jack stands on the Versa?

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

I put mine on the body sill where the cutouts are. No adaptors. I turn them at an angle to best supprt the car.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

When using Jackstands I always jack my car up by the engine crossmember then put Jackstands at the jack points on the sides. I never put my Versa up when I had it, so can't really help (and the rear I have always jacked on the Diff, so that doesn't help either).

NCJack
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Where can I get a set of ramps that are low enough for the Versa to drive up on? I friend gave me a set some time ago....and Ive never got that dent out from the front right corner of the car where the bumper met the stand before the wheels did. A set of ramps would make changing oil a breeze!

Regards,
Jack

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

I always placed mine right behind the jack before releasing the jack and moving to the other side.

Shad0wXCalibur

NCJack wrote:Where can I get a set of ramps that are low enough for the Versa to drive up on? I friend gave me a set some time ago....and Ive never got that dent out from the front right corner of the car where the bumper met the stand before the wheels did. A set of ramps would make changing oil a breeze!

Regards,
Jack
I bought these really thick plastic ramps from O-reillys a long time ago because my Neon sat low and wouldn't go up the big metal ramps we had without scraping. I think they were called Rhino-ramps or something and they work great. However, if your Versa is lowered, you'll have to look for those low-profile ramps. My stock height Versa comes pretty close to touching the rhino-ramps and my friend's 3G Eclipse at stock height scrapes them. But yes, it makes changing the oil a bit easier :yesnod

led hed
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL HB 6spd

i drove up on a couple 2x6's then onto my ramps. the 2x6's helped raising the car enough to avoid scraping the front valance.

totsubo
Car: Nissan

Put the jack stands at the jack up points.

Jack up the car using the center jackup points located on the front (usually under the engine and transmission) and rear (should be a bar between the rear wheels) of the car. Check the service manual (GI-39).

Otherwise, just use Rhino Ramps and blocks of wood.

I can get a lowered car up on Rhino Ramps that has a 3 inch clearance and a long front lip using this technique.

I then can jack the car up using the center jackup points and put the car on jack stands.

carlos15
Car: 09 versa sedan 1.8l
window tint
white footwell lighting
1993 miata
ebay exhaust
greddy turbo kit
ebay interfooler
megasqrtui

these jacks should work good for our v's http://www.discountramps.com/roll-ups.htm

Shad0wXCalibur

carlos15 wrote:these jacks should work good for our v's http://www.discountramps.com/roll-ups.htm
Those are some pricey ramps :eek:

falco

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”