it only took two months but finally my jet performance maf sensor arrived

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
altima5507
Car: 2008 altima coupe 3.5

ok so summitracing.com finally deliever my new mass air flow sensor from jet performance which allows you to fully optimize the drive by wire system of the a/c by allowing 41% more air through the throttle body ill have a few pics soon just too lazy to go upstair and up load them to my pc seeing that im on my laptop chilling in the living room watch fast and furious on bluray(siiiiiiccccckkkkkk) and ill have a review in a few days as well as a true test on the drag strip in a couple weeks pitting it against the stock maf sensor as for install is quick seeing as its only two screws and an electrical connection so review pics and test coming soon

Coupeguy23
Car: 2006 G35 coupe sport

altima5507 wrote:ok so summitracing.com finally deliever my new mass air flow sensor from jet performance which allows you to fully optimize the drive by wire system of the a/c by allowing 41% more air through the throttle body ill have a few pics soon just too lazy to go upstair and up load them to my pc seeing that im on my laptop chilling in the living room watch fast and furious on bluray(siiiiiiccccckkkkkk) and ill have a review in a few days as well as a true test on the drag strip in a couple weeks pitting it against the stock maf sensor as for install is quick seeing as its only two screws and an electrical connection so review pics and test coming soon
cool man i never heard of this one but you gotta take some pic i just finish watching that movie

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

If you are going to a test n tune at etown on a fri night, lets try and build a meet around it!

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

41% more air... hmm.. i want pics and proof/specs. lol

l33th41
Car: 2010 Nissan 370Z
2010 Mazda 3

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

QR25DEYou have to edit your sig, its way too big... The pic can be as big as the pic in mine, and 3 lines of text with a pic that size.

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

hmmmm sounds interesting, keep us updated... and how much did it cost?

crayzitalian3
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S

yo i ordered this last year and i think it is the biggest gimmick, it is still on my car.

i don't see how it did anything, unless you gotta do something to the ecu which i doubt, but yeah i think this was the biggest waste of money!

Just my experience with it.

Rob.Vegan
Car: 08 2.5S Altima Coupe 76 Datsun 280z (not running)

LongBeachCoupe wrote:QR25DEYou have to edit your sig, its way too big... The pic can be as big as the pic in mine, and 3 lines of text with a pic that size.
You have four lines of text ???

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

Sucker! 41% more airflow....lol

Rmuth25
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5s CVT [Premium & Tech Packages]

Yea I think you just got duped man. Waste of 130 bucks. No way that a sensor can bring in 41 percent more air thats crazy.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

The MAF Sensor only tells the car how much air/density/and temperature is coming into the intake plenum. The ECU then takes those figures, and determines how much fuel it should inject into a cylinder. You don't increase airflow by messing with the MAF, you increase airflow by adding a freer flowing intake, or a form of forced induction The only thing you might accomplish here is trick f*cking the ECU into dumping more fuel into your engine, which is only going to cause to poor fuel economy, and bad emmisions Please consult us before you do anymore "upgrades" to your A/C. Your wallet will thank you

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

adidas2go wrote:The MAF Sensor only tells the car how much air/density/and temperature is coming into the intake plenum. The ECU then takes those figures, and determines how much fuel it should inject into a cylinder. You don't increase airflow by messing with the MAF, you increase airflow by adding a freer flowing intake, or a form of forced induction The only thing you might accomplish here is trick f*cking the ECU into dumping more fuel into your engine, which is only going to cause to poor fuel economy, and bad emmisions Please consult us before you do anymore "upgrades" to your A/C. Your wallet will thank you
I'm with Blake on this one! Real HP to the wheels cost $$...How much do you have to spend is what it comes down to. This is just a gimmick!

D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

adidas2go nailed it

altima5507

but what everyone fails to remember is our cars are drive by wire which is controlled by the mass air flow sensor which limits horsepower by controlling throttle body position and air/fuel ratio its never truly fully open they do that to control emissions this allows it to open up more and cuz our cars are tuned rich from the factory this puts it at a more even level and with my current mods ive felt a difference already and thats also why im doing that test at englishtown to prove it works

altima5507

as for proof i will show pics of my time slips from etown my list of mods is injen intake with velocity stack funnel stillen cat back exhaust racing line y pipe stillen pulley eibach springs racing line endlinks and im running toyo drag radials on 17x8 enkei racing rims ( usually rocking the 20's on the street)

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

altima5507 wrote:as for proof i will show pics of my time slips from etown my list of mods is injen intake with velocity stack funnel stillen cat back exhaust racing line y pipe stillen pulley eibach springs racing line endlinks and im running toyo drag radials on 17x8 enkei racing rims ( usually rocking the 20's on the street)
damn ur running diff drag tires that pretty hardcore.......i wanna see the results of this now lol

im still with blake on thios one for now but hell bring me some proof n ill believe it lol

u should come out to the best buy meet this friday and to the Etown show on sept 5th ur right there anyway

LinkNuc

Do a search on the item...it is snake oil....its been busted on numerous fourms from Mustangs to Titans, it does nothing...just another person trying to make themselves feel better about blowing the money by justifiying that it works...UpRev also makes these and her is a direct quote from UpRev:

"Sorry to break the news guys. The MAF is just a sensor, it doesn't make power. It doesn't allow for more air to get to the motor.

The only time you'd need or want to upgrade your MAF sensor on these trucks (or cars) is if you needed one that would read stable air flow over the 400whp range. Every car and truck is a little bit different, so there is no exact HP number the stock MAF will read correctly too, but it's right around the 400whp range.

You can watch it in Cipher, if you get to the 4.8v area on your MAF the ECU will fuel cut on you and the vehicle stumbles. The aftermarket PMAS MAF sensors we have are going to show roughly 2.3v at that same power level.

We recommend using the PMAS sensor for forced induction vehicles that are running over 400whp so that you have stable and reliable voltage coming from the MAF.

Side note: Nitrous kits are not going to affect the MAF reading as nitrous is an oxidizer and adds oxygen so that you don't have to flow more air to make the same HP, you just need to flow the fuel to support it.

If your truck is running any differently after you plug in this MAF, it will be because the MAF sensor voltage readings stray from the stock sensor. Those voltage readings are the direct link that all other calculations are based on in the ECU. This is not only uncontrollable, it is completely unsafe. Use that MAF sensor at your own risk.

If there is any verifiable (read that as Engine Dyno proof, not Chassis Dyno) then it is only because the truck would be running outside of tuned parameters (ie. lean)

We will not be making a MAF calibration curve for that MAF sensor at any time as it wouldn't increase power or efficiency in any way. As state above the only time you'd need to go to a different MAF sensor is if the vehicle was making more power than the stock MAF could support safely.

...Based on how the ECU calibrates every function, the MAF voltage being the base unit of measure for nearly everything, the only thing this MAF could possibly do to change the way the truck runs would be to skew things towards lean.

If your truck runs lean... what damage could possibly be done?!

...Send us a unit, we'll send you back exactly what the difference is in the curve for this MAF vs. Stock. It's pretty simple to display.

I'm telling you now though you won't be happy with the results. Hitachi makes the MAF, they only make it one way. The only thing that could be done to it to make the sensor show different voltage output based on flow (do you understand how a MAF works?) would be if they etch the sensor surface, the same thing PMAS does for our calibrated MAFs, so that they will support more flow. But to run our MAF you need to re-tune the ECU as the MAF voltage curve will be totally different.

So the only possible outcomes are:

1. Stock Hitachi MAF, you suckers are getting duped.2. ECU would need to be retuned to safely run on the many different trucks out there.

The MAF sensor is only a sensor. It does not add or reduce power. Power is a function of the physical properties of the hard parts that comprise the drivetrain. Tuning simply allows for making those hard parts run more efficiently. Sensors simply tell the ECU what they are reading. If the ECU has not been adjusted for a change in hardparts, then it cannot react appropriately. If the ECU is fed incorrect information by a bad or changed sensor, then it cannot react safely."

Modified by LinkNuc at 8:30 AM 7/30/2009

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

Linknuc,reading your post... I'm reminded of a quote from Big pun....

"..aye Yo I shatter dreams like Jordan, assault and batter your team..."

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

I'm not going to defend Jet Performance directly because their claims are unsubstantiated. I don't necessarily believe any of their claims that their sensor safely changes the electrical outputs to the ECU. However, I will defend the idea that changing the MAF sensor can have a beneficial effect on flow.

You guys are forgetting that the MAF sensor is itself a 'hard part,' as you put it, that is placed in the intake tube. The stock MAF sensor is basically solid and shaped like a rectangle. It divides a small section of the tube in half, blocking some air flow and creating turbulence within the tube. Changing the sensor shape so that it hugs the tube walls or changing its profile so that it still hangs down but takes up less space and diverts air smoothly can have a noticeable and beneficial impact on velocity and total flow. This could be benchmarked and proven, but Jet doesn't do this. To reiterate my argument, MAF sensor changes aren't necessarily 'snake oil,' but perhaps the Jet MAF claims are. That is for someone with direct experience to prove or disprove.

Bmore-coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5

mrodrig2 wrote:
You guys are forgetting that the MAF sensor is itself a 'hard part,' as you put it, that is placed in the intake tube. The stock MAF sensor is basically solid and shaped like a rectangle. It divides a small section of the tube in half, blocking some air flow and creating turbulence within the tube. Changing the sensor shape so that it hugs the tube walls or changing its profile so that it still hangs down but takes up less space and diverts air smoothly can have a noticeable and beneficial impact on velocity and total flow. This could be benchmarked and proven, but Jet doesn't do this. To reiterate my argument, MAF sensor changes aren't necessarily 'snake oil,' but perhaps the Jet MAF claims are. That is for someone with direct experience to prove or disprove.

mrodrig2

Why are you laughing at fluid dynamics?

altima5507

review so far definitely more power at the mid to upper rpm smoother sounding exhuast and believe it or not gas mileage is going up average before was 18.6 and 25.8 now at 19.0 and 26.4 time trials will prove it cant come to best buy meet this weekend cuz its my bday weekend actually my bday today but yeah lets set up a get together for englishtown

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

Rob.Vegan wrote:
You have four lines of text ???
What people fail to realize is not all people run 1024X768 resolution. I took out the pic and adjusted the sig. I see 2 lines of mod text on my screen. 1900X1200. Meh. Whatever.

Anyways if you want someone to adjust the drive by wire stuff you need something like the Blitz Throttle Controllers. A MAF may help to some degree but all it's doing it possibly dumping more fuel in the motor. It's reading that the air is colder/more dense and dumps in fuel. It works the same as those "chips/resistors" on eBay.

Although if we have proof/dyno sheets lets see them ASAP. I'm curious. MIght be a cheap mod if it really works and it's not the Placebo effect.

Bmore-coupe

mrodrig2 wrote:Why are you laughing at fluid dynamics?
I understand that what you are saying is scientifically true, but do you truely believe that changing the shape of a approx 1/4" wide rectangle will change the amount of air passing by it enough to alter hp a noticeable amount?

If that was the case, than removing the MAF sensor completely would be the most beneficial.

Not laughing at science, just felt that you were kind of grasping at straws there.

mrodrig2

Bmore-coupe wrote:
I understand that what you are saying is scientifically true, but do you truely believe that changing the shape of a approx 1/4" wide rectangle will change the amount of air passing by it enough to alter hp a noticeable amount?

If that was the case, than removing the MAF sensor completely would be the most beneficial.

Not laughing at science, just felt that you were kind of grasping at straws there.
No I do not believe that it will gain any HP for this car/application, especially when the people these performance products are marketed toward just buy the products and do not get their cars tuned to reflect the changes. As I stated in the first post I was defending the idea because you guys are saying that it is outright 'snake oil,' which is not completely true. The theory itself is sound and very much put in practice. Anyone involved in a professional race team or working for a company that designs its own intake and exhaust components can tell you that small differences in surface finish and shape can have large effects on gaseous flow. The difference is that for the OEM and 'enthusiast/tuner' parts market such refinements are not cost effective which means they are not looked heavily into or implemented.

Bmore-coupe

point taken

LinkNuc

Fluid Dynamics, I have taken a few of those classes, I just might be an Engineer, who knows.. but the point is, if you believe this does anything and I mean anything for our vehicle you are severely wrong, and trying to advocate wasting 130 bills on snake oil to our brethren then you are indeed

mrodrig2

LinkNuc wrote:Fluid Dynamics, I have taken a few of those classes, I just might be an Engineer, who knows.. but the point is, if you believe this does anything and I mean anything for our vehicle you are severely wrong, and trying to advocate wasting 130 bills on snake oil to our brethren then you are indeed
Congrats on being an engineer... I just might be an engineer as well, who knows. Obviously the idea is correct, but not necessarily this particular product. No one is advocating this product except OP so point that douchebag finger at yourself.
Modified by mrodrig2 at 10:15 PM 8/2/2009

BigDankCloud
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Well, I know that I am an engineer, and the end all to this conversation is that this product could in fact change the flow to be less turbulent downstream of the MAF, but this effect would be negligible due to the intake plenum. I mean, our engine isnt exactly starving for air, and I believe that I read elsewhere that the intake plenum to some of the valves only opens up above 3k rpm or something like that. Anyhow, you maybe engineers are splitting hairs for no reason.

Now, if this thread was started by someone who had a turbo and needed a MAF with a better profile, then we would have something to talk about.

To the OP: tell us how this effected your car, if at all. If not [/thread]

Return to “Altima General Discussions”