Issue with Fuel Gauge on 2003 Pathy

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Miggggel
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

Hi Everyone, I've noticed that there are already a couple of posts on this issue, none with a resolution yet that I can find. I started having this issue 2 weeks ago when I noticed that my Pathy's (153K miles)fuel gauge never went below the 1/2 way mark (MY CEL has been on since the summer, but tge Pathy runs with no issue. The mechanic beleives that its related to the CAT threshold). Then all of the sudden it dropped to less then a 1/4 tank and the gas light came. I pulled over turned off/on the car and the needle went back to the 1/2 way mark. Later on that day the car started bucking and I decided to pull into a gas station. The fuel gauge was still on the 1/2 full mark, when i was able to pump around 18 gallons. Once done pumping the needle was on the full mark. At that point I decided to add Prestone® Synthetic Fuel Injector Cleaner, hoping that this might clean out any gunk that I might have in the system, I drove it for a couple of miles and the CEL turned off for a couple of days but I'm still having the issue. The fuel gauge now intermittently marks the correct gas amount and while I'm driving I notice the needle rise by a 1/4 tank. I went to Pepboys last night and got the code P0420. They suggest that I replace the fuel pump and hopes that it will resolve the issue. The pump goes for $165 bucks, thats a lot of money for a hopeful resolution espcially after the holidays. I noticed that some post reccomend using Gumout or Chevon to clean the fuel injector cleaner. Any help or advise will be great
thanks

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Prestone fuel injector cleaner is most likely comprised of not much other than kerosene. Run some fuel system cleaner like Redline SI-1, Chevron Techron, or Gumout with Regane. All three of these contain a significant amount of polyether amines, which is a detergent co-developed by Chevron and BMW to effectively clean fuel deposits without leaving behind deposits of its own as solvents and other cleaners do. Redline SI-1 contains the most PEA out of the three. I've read anecdotes that Techron (which is really just Chevron's name for PEA) can clean sulfur buildup from the fuel level sending unit in the tank while other cleaners don't. Perhaps try doubling the dosage (2 bottles in 1 tank). Add fuel system cleaner before you fill up the tank so it mixes better.

P0420 is generally caused by either a failed catalytic converter, or a faulty rear O2 sensor misinterpreting the efficiency of the cat. Since cats are expensive, I would try replacing the O2 sensor first. P0420 is the right bank (passenger side). You can try this sensor from RockAuto. I've used Beck/Arnley parts before, but never their oxygen sensors, so caveat emptor. I believe the manufacturer of the OEM sensor is either Bosch or NTK. This sensor was the cheapest on RockAuto, that's why I picked it. Be sure to use a 5% off discount code if you decide to purchase it.

If you do not run at least 91 octane, it may be wise to start. 91 octane or higher yields the best performance from our engine, and the difference is noticeable. The cost difference is only several dollars per fill-up, well worth it in my opinion.

Camelfilter
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE
2009 Titan Pro 4X Crew Cab

I've read on other forums similar to above regarding techron. Saturn fuel level sensors are notorious for developing sulfur deposits-Techron cleans/fixes the problem on those vehicles.

Miggggel

Thanks everone for the advice. Went out an bought 2 bottles of the Techron, just waiting for the gas tank to be on empty. I'll keep everyone posted on my results

Miggggel

Update: I've added 2 bottled of Techron to an empty tank and filled with Gulf 91 octane on sunday. I've driven 185.4 miles and the fuel gauge is still saying that i have only used 1/4 tank of gas. When in fact, i've probably used 3/4 of a tank. Pepboys has suggested to replace the tank pump http://www.fme-cat.com/PartDetailWindow ... ber=P76036

Any other suggestions. i checked the fuse its its not blown.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Before making a decision, run through a few more tanks of 91 or higher octane and see if there is any change. If not, I suppose you can replace the fuel pump and fuel level sensor unit - find instructions on FE-6. Also see EL-134 to check the resistance of the fuel level sensor unit beforehand.

It seems that the fuel level sensor unit was at one time sold by itself - see this page - but it's not available anymore. I will PM you details of a dealer who may be able to obtain the part for you if you are interested. Whether the sensor unit can be replaced without also replacing the fuel pump is another question altogether...

Miggggel

Thanks for your help with this. I have gone ahead and filled up with 93 octane as well as added the Redline fuel system cleaner this time. Will see if this works. Will need assistance with checking out the resistance of the fuel level sensor. This might be above my pay grade.
Also got your PM and will reach out to that contact
thanks

mass20v
Car: *Squirted BT20v AE86
*2003 Pathfinder LE

@miggggl have you figured out what's causing this issue? I'm having the same issue on my 2003 Pathfinder SE 115k. I do notice that if I tap on the gauge a couple of times it sometimes drops to where it's suppose to be for a short while. then it creeps back up to the "incorrect reading" I also noticed that this has a tendency to when the car has been sitting on really hot days or when I do a lot of driving.

I've seen the gauge hit 1/4 tank and sometimes below to where the light comes on and then creep back up... :wtf2:

gauge sticking? tank breather issues? sending unit/float?

Thanks for any updates!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

First, try a 20oz bottle of Techron which should help clear up any sulfur causing issues with the sending unit. You may need two back-to-back tanks with Techron before any possible help.

If that won't help, the next step is to test the resistance of the sending unit. I'll find the reference resistance values and testing instructions in the FSM when I'm not on my phone.

Miggggel

I tried the techron recommendation and changed the fuel pump. At the end of the day it's the fuel gauge. The dealership charges 600 for the instrument panel and 600 for install in my area. The junk yards sell the part for $200 or so

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

600 for install? Hah, it takes 10 minutes to remove and replace the instrument cluster. Hell, the fuel gauge itself should be replaceable so you don't have to have the cluster odometer reprogrammed to match current vehicle mileage. The problem is of course finding a junkyard vehicle that still has its cluster...

mass20v
*2003 Pathfinder LE

Thanks guys for the information... Having said that, it's a start... Might attempt the impossible after checking the resistance of the sending unit. http://repair.alldata.com/alldata/image ... Rotation=0 what's the worst that can happen? I need to replace the cluster lol .. :ohno:

Starting to really hate this thing... I get the whole "maintenance thing" but really; a cluster?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Page EL-133 of the factory service manual has a diagnosis process for the fuel level sensor unit.

mass20v
*2003 Pathfinder LE

@Towncivilian thanks a ton!

Miggggel

@Towncivilian would you manange to have instructions on how to just replace the fuel gauge so that i dont have to reprogram the odometer cluster to match my current vehicle milage. Unless you have instructions on how to program the odometer.
let me know; thanks!

sumner4991
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

Migggel . . .I'm having the exact issue with the fuel gauge . . .did you get a fix?

2003 PathGrinder
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfiner SE R50

HELP!!!!! I think I am having a similar issue here. Mine wont go below 3/4 tank. I actually ran out of gas when I first noticed this. Luckily there was a gas station near by. Is this a fuel sensor failure? What is the common issue/ fix? Thanks!

livemeyer
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 standard cab 2x4
2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE
2011 Nissan LEAF SV
2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE (Retired)
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (Retired)

Hey guys, I'm actually having the same issue with my 2003 Pathfinder. Found out just after I bought from a used car dealer. Spent big bucks with my repair shop to have them put in a new fuel sending unit which didn't repair the issue. Seems to be a common thing for Nissans to have fuel gauge issues. I see on eBay listings for instrument cluster repairs. For $70-90 bucks (and some places charge more) I can ship them my instrument cluster and they will repair the gauge. Thing is, I want to know how they do the repair so I can do it myself. Tried to find a video on youtube but no luck.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

My guess is there's some cooked components in the cluster that they replace. You could try cracking it open yourself (there's guides out there on that) and see if you can spot anything fried or burned.

MVP400
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 116k miles

There is a known defect & recall notice for the faulty gas gauge. I am not allowed to share the recall link here but do a Google search and you will find it easily. Check the details and see if your local dealership will honor a free fix, provided the recall hasn't expired, which dates back to 2010:

I'm having the same issue with my 2003 Pathy at 116k miles. As a work around I reset my trip odometer with every tank fill up using the approx, 21 gallon capacity and on avg 15 mpg (city mileage) numbers. This gives me an effective range of just over 300 miles between fill ups. I typically just fill up every 200-250 miles just to be safe. A lesson hard learned after I ran out of gas the first time and a $300 tow later.

As mentioned in earlier posts, removing the gauge cluster is literally a 4 screw, 10 min, job and sending the cluster away for rebuild is probably the best/cheapest fix. The downside is you have to wait for the cluster to be returned a week or so later before being able to drive the car again, or not ;-)

And I would advise against using a junkyard part since it will probably have the same issue, especially if it's been exposed to the elements in a open yard. Plus most junkyard electrical components are non-returnable.

A nother option would be to find a separate NOS or rebuilt fuel gauge on the internet somewhere and replacing the gauge yourself. I'm still on that search myself. Finding this has proven to be difficult since the gauges are an intragal part of the cluster board and require delicate work to separate it to fix or replace.

If anyone has found rebuild separate gauges please share the link. If anyone has used the complete cluster rebuild offering please let us know your experience and share that link as well.

Thanks

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

MVP400 wrote:There is a known defect & recall notice for the faulty gas gauge. I am not allowed to share the recall link here but do a Google search and you will find it easily. Check the details and see if your local dealership will honor a free fix, provided the recall hasn't expired, which dates back to 2010:
Why can't you include the link?

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Just did a little searching.
This recall is only for the R51 pathfinder, and not the R50.
Your 2003 would not qualify.

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Just chiming in here, I seem to have the exact same issue with my '04. The fuel gauge now only operates from F to 1/2 tank. That is:

Gauge reads F = Full tank
Gauge reads 3/4 = Actually has 1/2 tank left
Gauge reads 1/2 = Tank is empty, game over. (It actually dips a bit below 1/2, but when it worked properly it'd also dip a bit below the 'E' mark too.)

Low fuel light doesn't come on either. Tested the resistance of the sensor and it's bang-on, so I'm assuming it's the instrument cluster. Techron didn't do anything, and I always run 91 these days anyways.

Would be nice if there was some kind of recall, seeing as how it seems a lot of us are having this issue. At least its predictable for me, though, just annoying.

I doubt they'd do anything for us, though, since it's so old and doesn't really affect safety (e.g. lawsuits) the same way the wheel well rust and passenger airbag recalls do.

Densetsu

An update: We had a cold snap and I park outside at work. When I first started it up, the fuel gauge worked fine. The green rear tires lights on the 4WD indicator, which have been out for a while now, were also lit up.

Once the cabin warmed up, the fuel gauge and 4WD lights went back to being messed up.

This happened a few days in a row, and didn't happen when the car was parked in the warm garage or parked in weather above, say, -25C / -10F. Is this an indication of a bad harness, bad ground wire, bad solder, fracture in the cluster's circuit board, something else?

dtwbcs
Car: 2003 PATHFINDER

Have the same issue I took my 2003 pf to the local dealer. They replaced the fuel/sender unit combo but that failed to resolve the issue. They finally told me it had to be the dash gauge circuit board. Discontinued item. I use the trip meter and fill my car every 230 miles. :confused:

dtwbcs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-2004- ... 1914534683

This is the link. I going to send mine in for repair......

Densetsu

Thanks for the link! I'll get in touch with them and see the cost / time for a Canadian repair. I guess I'll also watch the junkyard websites for R50's and see if I can steal a cluster from there... they rarely come in, and when they do they're usually eaten up for parts in a week.

Day-to-day driving has pretty predictable using the odometer and the funky fuel gauge (1/2 = empty); if I'm towing something I'll make sure to bring a jerry can with me,though, just in case.

dekema2
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

I have had this issue for about half a year now, it's very annoying. One minute I think I have half a tank, and the next minute I'm choking and possibly drawing rust into the fuel line.

Fortunately I know mechanics that don't charge an arm and a leg for work but it gets confusing at times. I try to just keep it above half a tank anyways.

dtwbcs

I used that place on Ebay to repair mine. Fast turn around, works good.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”