iPhone contacts via Bluetooth

All things Altima Coupe.
ShiftTab
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE [Premium & Technology Package] (Dark Slate)

Anyone using the Bluetooth built in with an iPhone know how to transfer contacts directly into our cars so that we know who is calling instead of a telephone number?

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

that feature does not work with iphone or iphone 3g

bina12834
Car: 06 G35 coupe

yea you have to manually put the numbers in your car.

gli liphon
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

as said above, the iphone doesn't support the standard push/transfer bluetooth protocols . its too bad the phone is the best gadget/phone/toy i've ever owned in my life or i might be upset.

ShiftTab
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE [Premium & Technology Package] (Dark Slate)

hmm I wonder if I could transfer my contacts via laptop to car bluetooth...

ShiftTab

Just wanted to confirm it works!!!!

All you have to do is -pair your iphone to your car-(car) goto setup, downloaded phonebook, update-bring your laptop as well turn on the bluetooth on the laptop and send file .vcf (addressbook)-and you're all set!!!

Although your laptop isn't connected, the car thinks it's receiving from the phone when you're sending data from the laptop.

spockrock

ShiftTab wrote:Just wanted to confirm it works!!!!

All you have to do is -pair your iphone to your car-(car) goto setup, downloaded phonebook, update-bring your laptop as well turn on the bluetooth on the laptop and send file .vcf (addressbook)-and you're all set!!!

Although your laptop isn't connected, the car thinks it's receiving from the phone when you're sending data from the laptop.
Does the iphone need to be in the car??

Also this is a huge security flaw, blue tooth is supposed to sync with with the bluetooth mac address. Just because your iphone is paired should not mean your laptop should pair and sync with the nissan bluetooth.

maxentropy
Car: '08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

spockrock wrote:

Also this is a huge security flaw, blue tooth is supposed to sync with with the bluetooth mac address. Just because your iphone is paired should not mean your laptop should pair and sync with the nissan bluetooth.
Yep, if he downloaded the address book via his laptop then his laptop's bluetooth was connected to the car.

bina12834

so wait...how exactly do you do this? I have a laptop that has bluetooth, but i turned the bluetooth off because i never use it for anything.

spockrock

ok here is what you have to do from what I gather, I will try this tonight but, put iphone and laptop into car start car.

Then press the phone button, say setup, then download phone book, and then here is the concerning part you then have to send the phone (so far a .vcf format works) via the laptop. Depending on your bluetooth stack you can send files via bluetooth, it depends on your stack and operating system. And then it imports the phone book so you know who is calling.

However this should not happen.

ShiftTab

spockrock wrote:

It's not a security flaw because data will only be sent when the car is requesting for it, you can't just sent data when the car isn't requesting for it during the update. You HAVE to be in update mode in order to send data.

You have to manually get to update mode and when you're updating it will ask for you to punch in a code, when you're sending from your laptop, it just sends it directly without having to punch anything in.

ShiftTab

maxentropy wrote:
Yep, if he downloaded the address book via his laptop then his laptop's bluetooth was connected to the car.
Technically No, my laptop never made a firm connection. My phone was the one that was paired to my car. My laptop knew of the existence of my car's bluetooth but it failed to connect.

So I just left the pairing with my iphone and car and just sent data thru my laptop to my car and it worked.

ShiftTab

bina12834 wrote:so wait...how exactly do you do this? I have a laptop that has bluetooth, but i turned the bluetooth off because i never use it for anything.
if you have an iphone, it's complicated, if you have a blackberry, it should be very easy. What phone do you have?

spockrock

ShiftTab wrote:Just wanted to confirm it works!!!!

Ok I just tried this, my iphone is already paired, however setup>download phone book does not work. I went tried adding an new entry using this method, phone book, add new entry, say their name then transfer entry. Go on the laptop send the vcf file and no dice.

On a side note I am transferring via osx on a macbook.
Modified by spockrock at 7:27 PM 1/12/2009

spockrock

ShiftTab wrote:
It's not a security flaw because data will only be sent when the car is requesting for it, you can't just sent data when the car isn't requesting for it during the update. You HAVE to be in update mode in order to send data.

You have to manually get to update mode and when you're updating it will ask for you to punch in a code, when you're sending from your laptop, it just sends it directly without having to punch anything in.
That is exactly the security flaw, what you are doing is similar to a man in the middle attack on a network, except in a man in the middle attack you tell the victim computer you are the dhcp server and the dhcp server you are the computer. The way the bluetooth and the iphone communicate is both have a bluetooth mac address a 'finger print' that being said, if the nissan bluetooth is not checking for that the mac address than that is a security flaw, but basically you are jumping in between the transfer and transferring the phone book.

bina12834

ShiftTab wrote:
if you have an iphone, it's complicated, if you have a blackberry, it should be very easy. What phone do you have?
i have an iPhone

ShiftTab

spockrock wrote:
That is exactly the security flaw, what you are doing is similar to a man in the middle attack on a network, except in a man in the middle attack you tell the victim computer you are the dhcp server and the dhcp server you are the computer. The way the bluetooth and the iphone communicate is both have a bluetooth mac address a 'finger print' that being said, if the nissan bluetooth is not checking for that the mac address than that is a security flaw, but basically you are jumping in between the transfer and transferring the phone book.
exactly but you can't send or receive if you're not specifically on the "Update Mode" which you physically have to be on in order to send data. You can't transfer anything unless you're in the update mode. So you can't really be a victim unless you intentionally leave that thing on 24/7 which wouldn't make sense.

spockrock

@shifttab can you give us detailed instructions on how you did this I have tried, and its not working, I am just wondering on how your tricked the nissan bluetooth.

ShiftTab

bina12834 wrote:
i have an iPhone
-so goto your car with your iphone, bring your laptop with you.-try and pair your laptop and car together. (most likely it will not work) your computer will detect the car but not be able to pair-now pair your phone to your car-on your navi, press setup, phone, downloaded phonebook, download all, yes and it will ask to put in a code-on your computer, look for your .vcf file and send that to your car and it that should be it.

let me know if that works.

I was using my iphone, powerbook g4 with built in bluetooth, and exported the .vcf from Address Book

ShiftTab

*note that you're not really connecting your laptop to your car because I don't think it allows it, but SOMEHOW, you can have your iphone paired and the car will think that the data is coming from the phone when really it's coming from a laptop. I don't know why it works, it just does... and that's all I care about.

However it will be pretty annoying everytime I get a new contact, I'll have to do the same process each time... better than nothing...

spockrock

ahh there is the catch it only works on the navigation package. I only have the premium package :\

ShiftTab

spockrock wrote:ahh there is the catch it only works on the navigation package. I only have the premium package :\
hmm, so you don't have the options to hit the setup button -> phone -> downloaded phonebook ->download all ?

spockrock

ShiftTab wrote:*note that you're not really connecting your laptop to your car because I don't think it allows it, but SOMEHOW, you can have your iphone paired and the car will think that the data is coming from the phone when really it's coming from a laptop. I don't know why it works, it just does... and that's all I care about.

However it will be pretty annoying everytime I get a new contact, I'll have to do the same process each time... better than nothing...
Basically its poor coding, and I imagined the people who coded the bluetooth system never thought what if another third party would would upload anything. That being said pretty clever of you figuring it out. Kudos.

spockrock

ShiftTab wrote:
hmm, so you don't have the options to hit the setup button -> phone -> downloaded phonebook ->download all ?
I can do phone book > add entry and manually add the entries, but I just don't the the non navi unit has this flaw.

Also in address book in the left column, select all and then pick file>export> export group vcard you should be able to import all your contacts, think.....

zqecbtum
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Not sure exactly how I got this to work but on my iPhone i did this and it worked:

1. make a favorites list in the phone book
2. set the settings, general, Bluetooth, my car set it to sync contacts on, phone favorites on, recent off, other groups all groups
3. go to settings, mail/contacts/calendar, go down to contacts and click import SIM contacts

somehow in apples infinite wisdom (sarcasm by the way) they set it that import means import/export because when I checked the cars phone book after doing this it had my whole favorites list stored in it

way to go weird programming somewhere along the line

(also I only have the premium sound package no navi)

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”