Intelligent Key System - How often does it scan?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
yourmomlikesblueonyx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

As a matter of settling my curiosity, and since I can't find a damn thing about it anyway, I thought I would ask this question here... (little background: 07 Versa SL owner for 3.5 years, soon to be 2010 Rogue SL)

Does anyone know how often the intelligent key system scans for the RFID'd I-Key? Is it a constant, occasional pulse from one or more antennas in the car? Is it only when the scan button is pressed outside of the car and maybe when a door is opened/closed? How does the power of the antenna compare to, say, the one powering the bluetooth option?

Just curious, in case someone out there knows something about it. I'm not really a "tin foil hat" kind of guy (I use a cell phone, have wifi, been using I-Key and Bluetooth in my Versa for years), but, as a technical sort, I am always conscious about these things. Any insight appreciated, and thanks.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I don't have any technical documentation to back any of this up but I would assume the iKey is only "tickled" when an input to the car requires it (ie, door button pushed to verify correct iKey is present, ignition is turned).

Power wise I would assume would be far less than Bluetooth. Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet in the optimal setting...whereas the iKey has to be inside or pretty close to the car for it to be "tickled". This doesn't include the RF transmitter for the push buttons on the remote itself though.

Just my 2 cents.

terrycs

It is continuously pinged. That's why there is a warning anytime the ikey is no longer in the car (at least in my g).

Return to “Versa General Chat”