Instrument cluster lights

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
johnnyd6404
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT 2k2 Maxima SE(sold) 2005 Altima 2.5S

I want to swap out my stock instrument bulbs with some blue or maby red bulbs anyone know how I would go about getting the cluster out to change these bulbs out? Also what type of bulbs are back there? Thanks

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

check out http://www.autolumination.com that is where i get all my lighting. I got some of the small l.e.d.s http://autolumination.com/74.htm check the sizing.

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

i got my cluster out and it was a pain in the ***...the write up is for a 95 max so might be slight diferences.with the steering wheel tilted all the way down:1) get 2 top screws out of the bezel, pull it out.2) pull off the plastic cover from under the steering wheel, you'll see a metal cover with 2 10 or 12 mm bolts3) take that off and remove the screws from the plastic steering column - the top and bottom ones over the turn signal switch - and remove those.4) remove 3 screws on top of the cluster, pull it out slightly and undo the wiring harness plugs and wiggle it out.

i don't know if your's comes with led's - doubt it. any parts store can order you any color bulbs you want - if they don't stock them pre-order before you get the gauges out.

ZGadson

Even if you put a different color LED behind the cluster, wouldnt it still show up white? Cruise and blinter lights are ony green because theres a green filter (or plastic piece) over the white bulb behind it. I assume there's white for the gauges, so even with a blue bulb, it would still look pretty much all white. (This is refering to an 02 -up gauge cluster)

allensteiner

ZGadson wrote:Even if you put a different color LED behind the cluster, wouldnt it still show up white? Cruise and blinter lights are ony green because theres a green filter (or plastic piece) over the white bulb behind it. I assume there's white for the gauges, so even with a blue bulb, it would still look pretty much all white. (This is refering to an 02 -up gauge cluster)
agree...partialy. i just looked at the back of an 02 cluster and looks like the speedometer and tach are lighted with led's. but if you want to take it apart and put in diferent color led's you'll have what you want.

ZGadson

How many LEDs are there in an 02 cluster? The more there are, the more evenly spaced the light will be in the gauges and you won't see spots where the LEDs are.

(And what size are the LEDs?)

allensteiner

i couldn't tell you because i've never seen the inside of an 02 cluster. i would guess they are a "pop in" like in the window switches so should be an easy replacement. but like i said i have a 95 so just guessing what it looks like.

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

@ZGadsonIf you're wonderin about your instrument cluster. I have an 01 but i think you won't be able to switch to LED. THinking that maximas and I's are the same I bought 5 led bulbs, took it all apart, and then realized that our clusters are lit by a CCFL tube. so no dice there. I bought a set of intelliglo needles but I don't think I will put em in. Anyone interested?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”