injectors to be changed. Looking for labor synergies.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
riggerjack
Car: 1990 q45

I have 2 bad injectors, according to the mechanic I no longer trust. (separate issue)

I've spent a few days searching the forum, and learning alot. And this looks like a job outside my skillset. Fortunately, in that search, I found a local mechanic recommended by a member for just this job.

So now I'm looking at RockAuto.com for parts, and want to make sure I have all the parts needed. Here's the list so far:
Part Price Core Quantity Total Remove
Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog1990 INFINITI Q45 4.5L V8
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogFuel/Air : Fuel Injector

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1580863 {#1660060U00, 1660060U01, 1660060U02, 1660060U17, 1660064U01, 1660064U02, 1660064U03, 1660064U04, 1660064U05, 1660066U03, 1660066U04, 1660066U05} New [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 2 Remaining)
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] B
$58.79 $0.00 $117.58 Remove Part
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1580863 {#1660060U00, 1660060U01, 1660060U02, 1660060U17, 1660064U01, 1660064U02, 1660064U03, 1660064U04, 1660064U05, 1660066U03, 1660066U04, 1660066U05} New
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] A
$98.79 $0.00 $592.74 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEmission : Knock (Detonation) Sensor

ULTRA-POWER Part # KS79
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Knock Sensor B
$38.79 $0.00 $38.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogIgnition : Spark Plug

AUTOLITE Part # APP3924 Double Platinum
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] OE Style; Gap: .044
+ Sold in packs of 4; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
$3.32 $0.00 Remove Part
NGK Part # 5464 {#7964, BKR5EIX11} Iridium IX
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] .044 C
$6.27 $0.00 $50.16 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEmission : EGR Gasket

ECHLIN Part # 22596 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 5 Remaining)
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] EGR Valve Gasket B
$0.74 $0.00 $0.74 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEngine : Valve Cover Gasket

CORTECO Part # 19807 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 6 Remaining)
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Valve Cover Gasket Set; CONTAINS GROMMETS AND SEMI-CIRC PLUGS; USE RTV FOR MAKE THE GASKETS B
$3.24 $0.00 $3.24 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogFuel/Air : Fuel Injector O-Ring

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1580891 {#1580369, 1580370, 1580371, 1661810V00, 1661810V05, 1661853J00, 1661878A00}
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Kit A
$3.03 $0.00 $3.03 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSteering : Power Steering Pump

ACDELCO Part # 36P0658 {#19319184} Reman; Professional||Remanufactured w/o Reservoir
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] w/ Normal Steering
$123.89 $25.00 Remove Part
A-1 CARDONE Part # 215849 {#4911060U00, 4911060U20} Reman. w/o Reservoir
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] with Normal Steering; Inline filter available C
Installing a power steering pump requires the removal of the pulley from the pump. Would you like to browse our Pulley Tools?
$105.79 $45.00 $150.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogSteering : Power Steering Filter

A-1 CARDONE Part # 20FLT1 CARDONE Service Plus Power Steering Filter
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Standard In-Line Filter C
$1.19 $0.00 $1.19 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogFuel/Air : Fuel Filter

PENTIUS Part # PFB43178 [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] (Only 8 Remaining)
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] B
Do you also need a new Oil Filter?
$1.59 $0.00 $1.59 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEmission : PCV Valve

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 6P1143 {#1181060U00, 1181060U01, PCV189} [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining)
$1.35 $0.00 $1.35 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEmission : Oxygen Sensor

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S3483 {#2269060U02, 2269060U12, SU4481} [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining)
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Right B
An Oxygen Sensor Socket / Wrench can make removal and installation of this part easier.
$29.79 $0.00 $29.79 Remove Part
WALKER PRODUCTS Part # 25023089
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Upstream Right
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Upstream Left C
An Oxygen Sensor Socket / Wrench can make removal and installation of this part easier.
$37.79 $0.00 $37.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEngine : Plenum Gasket

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0376070 {#1403260U01}
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] A
$4.35 $0.00 $4.35 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEngine : Intake Manifold Gasket

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # IG650 Set
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Int. Gasket C
$18.70 $0.00 $18.70 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogFuel/Air : Air Filter

PUROLATOR Part # A24807 [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining)
Do you also need a new Oil Filter?
$2.98 $0.00 $2.98 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogFuel/Air : Throttle Body Gasket

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0395011 {#1617561U00}
$2.23 $0.00 $2.23 Remove Part
Subtotal $1,057.04

I'm adding replacing the power steering pump as it was the fix for the intermittent cutting out of the power steering I found while searching.

There are several injector threads, and nobody seems to agree on what should be replaced while the plenum is off. Some folks recommend replacing the "injector harness" (I assume this is a wiring harness), knock sensor and harness, O2 sensors, spark plugs, Throttle body gasket, EGR gasket, valve cover gaskets.

Did I miss anything?

As to replacing wiring harnesses, Why? I mean, I know the car is 25 years old, but gasketed connectors and dielectric grease have been around forever. Is wiring harness corrosion a significant problem, or is this just a part changed because that is when it's easy, and it removes a point of potential future failure? And where would I get one of these harnesses? I have found connectors for fuel injectors, but I haven't found a wiring harness, anywhere.

I know, long post. I think it's better to provide too much info in the 1st post of a thread than making people drag the answers out of me. on that note, I have a 1990 Q45, with 113k miles on it. I've owned it for 10 years, and put 22k of those on it myself. I live on Whidbey Island, in the Puget Sound, WA, so lots of rain, some freezing, but overall mild weather.

Brew Q
Car: '92 Q45 91k miles, '05 FX35
past: '99 740i (r.i.p.), '92 Maxima SE, '89 Maxima SE, '04 FX35

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I have a '92 that needed injectors and a whole slew of other stuff, not to mention had a few oil leaks from the seals drying out (sat a long time between summers with previous owner).

It sounds like you plan to keep the car a long time, so... I would upgrade the injectors, rail and injector harness that comes with it, but plugs right into your 90 - upgrade to a '94-96 set. Buy them used and get them flow tested for insurance.

Here's a '95 at Felton Auto Parts with 70k (they part out infinitis and nissans, give them a call)... plus they're in Washington - you may be able to go in person.

141842 1995 Q45 SDN 4Dr 70000 1/9/2014

is this the mechanic you found: (stolen from another thread)
You are lucky to be in Seattle. There is a shop up in Lake Stevens that has been working on Infiniti's for years. They did all the injectors and valve gasket covers for something under $600, I provided the parts. Name is Melvin G Allen, google it for contact info. I replaced my steering...
Add the under plenum hoses to your list, if you can find them - if not custom hoses possibly by the above mechanic, or you can check Felton's for under plenum hoses that look newish.

Fuel Pump. Is it original? if so change it out now while you're at it. Mine was going out around 90k. With 113k it may be on it's last leg. Deatschwerks makes quality fuel pumps, (like the DW300), but personally I have an Airtex in the car now (recently installed by a friend of mine).

Chain guides - have they been updated to metal? or does the car have original plastic ones?

Install a tranny cooler while you're at it - plenty of older threads on here. It'll really extend the life of the transmission.

Personally I think you're on the right track, replacing more now as opposed to less. Getting under the plenum is not fun.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

Awesome first post!

Ditto on what Bret said.

I replaced all 8 injectors with BWD units made by standard automotive products in 2008. Since then I've put about 18,000 miles on them (yeah, she's a garage queen).

If I were replacing all of them today, I'd consider a "matched set" of the phase 2 injectors from Deatschwerks. I believe they're sourcing the BWD injectors in bulk and (hopefully) flow matching them into sets of 8, but I don't know that for sure. Snag a "phase ii" style fuel rail set from a '94-'96, as well as an updated harness. You might find an undamaged one from a 94-96 if you can find a donor car that hasn't been abused over the years...

If you stick with just the 90-93 style injectors, I would just be very careful with your existing harness. The knock sensor subharness is the only one that's known to go bad on a regular basis.

Heath

riggerjack

Thanks. I will be going to Melvin G Allen to get the work done.
I commute with my wife in her kia, except when it gets warm enough for air conditioning, about 4 weeks a year, here. I've been putting this off, but it's time to get ready for summer.
As to the timing chain guides, I have no idea. this car went thru many an owner before me. I'm just a Grampa style driver, and it's been fine so far.
I don't know if the fuel pump has been replaced. Is it under the hood? I would expect it to be in the tank, or close to it. If it's easier to replace with the plenum off, thanks, I never would have thought of that!

Brew Q

You'll start to hear the pump make a humming noise, or like mine it just won't have near as much "giddy-up" at WOT and may even have a rough idle. Pump is in the tank, easiest way to get to it is through the rear seat and removing the rear shelf. You can probably wait on the pump if you don't hear anything and it drives good.

The timing chain guides though should be switched/upgraded to the metal ones as soon as you can. It is a big undertaking though. See what Melvin would charge - having the plenum off should knock off a couple hours of labor. Plus of course you'll need to find the parts - Felton might have metal guides laying around and quote you a price. Otherwise ebay may have some dealerships with old inventory (some leftover, but new metal guide kit).

branscoset
Car: 1991 Q45 on coil overs and 18" 350z rims

I had a local injector service rebuild my stock injectors. He told me there was no point in switching to the phase 2 and wasting money on new rails, harness, and injectors. He said that for a stock application and a daily driver, the factory injectors are just fine. I paid around $450, but a couple of the injectors were damaged and needed replacing so I paid core charges. I also had the rails cleaned, pressure checked, new seals, and new hose.

I found this more convenient than ordering online as that is always a crapshoot. If anything goes wrong with the injectors now that he has serviced them, I can take them back no questions asked for a replacement within 5 years.

Just my 2cents.

PS: I have a under intake plenum hose list, but some of the OEM hoses are discontinued and they are all ridiculously expensive. I am only ordering a few at a time as I can afford them.

riggerjack

So, are these OEM hoses just pre- bent, or are they different sizes at each end?

I'm just thinking about long term hose replacement, with parts availability...

Brew Q

pre-bent/formed, but a good mechanic should be able to find alternatives

branscoset
Car: 1991 Q45 on coil overs and 18" 350z rims

It is true you could find aftermarket hoses that "work" in a pre formed shape. However I have been told and I am not sure this is 100% true, but the Nissan OEM hoses are made of a higher quality material and are made to last longer. There is a reason mine lasted 200k miles before breaking, and even then they only broke because I moved the intake and they had been heated and frozen in place for so long.

I am going OEM as I do not want to waste my time with aftermarket parts failing and risking removing the intake again.
I will however be using aftermarket hose for the easy to access straight pieces, like at the PCV valve as I can't see why I should pay $20 for 2 inches of hose X3.

riggerjack

Just an update, I went to Melvin G Allen in Lake Stevens. I would recommend him if you are in the area.

He just replaced my fuel injectors (all of them) knock sensors, etc, plus replaced my PS pump, and the bill came to $1300.

He will install your parts (but not warrantee them). He was very clear about that. I bought my injectors and all the rest at Rockauto.com, then brought them to him to install. The savings on the injectors paid for the install labor. He said he'd had problems with "internet PS pumps" and that in one case, the car was in his shop for weeks as he replaced it 3 times waiting for one with a good pressure modulator. He charged labor for each install. If he had provided the pump, and there was that problem, he would've covered the subsequent labor. I decided to let him source the PS pump.

He uses Westbay autoparts for parts, like most independent mechanics around here, they are much faster than rockauto, but much more $$. As an example, Rockauto ~90/injector, Westbay $258/injector Rockauto 7-10 days, Westbay, will deliver tomorrow.

As of last month, his shop rate was 85/hr, it's just him and his partner, both old (50's) mechanics who have worked together for decades. It is a bit of a trip to go from Whidbey Island to Lake Stevens, but it was worth it, to me.

94Q45Beast
Car: 1994 INFINITI Q45t w/HICAS
1992 INFINITI Q45
2017 INFINITI Q70S AWD BLACK ON BLACK

I don't get why a recall on the chain guides was never issued for the 90-93 Q, its seems like a legit reason for a recall compared to the list of recalls from other car companies.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I've been barking up that tree for years. At this point it's a non-issue... Nissan gives zero f....s about 20+ year old cars.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Q451990 wrote:I've been barking up that tree for years. At this point it's a non-issue... Nissan gives zero f....s about 20+ year old cars.

Yup,sad but true........while you can get parts for very old Mercedes still,and they even operate a factory "classic center" in California where you can drop off your classic Benz for anything from minor work to a full blown restoration! Nissan{Infiniti} has no clue in how to compete with true luxury brands,never did from the start,and have seemed to not learned much in their 25 year history either. Their current lineup is quite honestly a joke- 1 entry level sedan,1 mid level sedan,and a bunch of trucklets.

94Q45Beast
1992 INFINITI Q45

was this issue never taken to court?..........oh and I agree with the new line up, its mediocre, I also herd that the Q80 is gonna be the new flagship Q

Q451990

Not sure if there was a court challenge or not... I've never heard of one. Most automakers have a run of "maypop" engines or transmissions with a design defect. Nissan did a lot toward transmission problems, but never stepped up to the plate on the engine. I'm sure there's a calculation of how many fail under a certain timeframe, and under a certain mileage. If only a small percentage of them fail outside of the warranty period, but within the average car buyer's perceived "that's too soon" failure rate - it was probably deemed not worthy of a voluntary recall. Like everything else, it's all about the $$$.

94Q45Beast
1992 INFINITI Q45

I herd Nissan/infiniti got sued before over a issue of the dash being melted in the sun and they ended up issuing a recall on them. and the same with rusted holes under the carpet making it dangerous.....there should have been a court challenge for the early VH, but too late now.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”