Infiniti M30- anyone know anything about it?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
andrave
Car: assorted

Just bought a 1990 model in really good shape (leather interior didn't fair so well after 14 years and 100k tho).Engine and trans seem to be in good shape, body is great, couple door dings, all the power stuff still works.

anyway I'd like to talk to anyone that owns or has owned one of these, cause my stupid anti theft system went off today and I had to have the car towed before some guy in my apartment complex showed me how to turn it off (stick the key in the door, turn, hold) and start it again.

I'm used to s13 240sx's (driven a couple of them for the last 3 or 4 years) and they don't have all these power features, so I'm clueless.thanks in advance.

andrave

I knew it was rare.. but damn. no one on the board has one or has owned one? this car sucks I can't find any parts for it. its a nice car aside from that. and the fact that the alternator died tonight and I had to have it towed 30 miles.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Rex (the previous board owner) owned one.

They are cool cars... basically like a RWD Maxima in my opinion.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

kinda like a gooshy Z31? with an auto?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will find a few owners in our Infiniti sub-forum.(Not a alot, it <is> rare but some)

Fred...

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Very well performance wise too.

Didn't they make a vert version of the M30?

PalmerWMD

Yes Greg has one.

Fred..

Rex
Car: None

Greg (AZ) has an M30 vert? WHAT, I thought he picked up an S13 vert. Wait, I've seen pics of the Misses (NICOmom) next to the the S13 vert. Did he also get an M30 vert? Fred, please fill us in .

andrave - The M30 uses the "smae" running gear as an AT N/A 300ZX of that era. So, you should be able to use any mods that are available for that car.

EnzoRWD
Car: 1997 Volvo 850 T5

wait..werent all m30's verts??im confused. they are all auto vg30de tho right?-Enzo

Jesda

The M30 is the Nissan Leopard. Came to the US in its final years as a coupe with a convertible option. A US company chopped the tops and reinforced the bodies for Nissan.

Im curious as to how well the M30's Sonar Suspension worked. Andrave, does yours have sonar? I wonder if you can get JDM Nissan Leopard parts.

I considered an M30 a while ago before I got the Q.

-Jesda

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Sonar??? What was that like active????

Jesda

These are shots from my 18" 1990 M30 brochure. I tried to scan them but they were too darn big.

Sonar suspension used sensors to read road surfaces and send the information back to a computer that instantly adjusted the suspension firmness. Of course, like every car from the 80s and early 90s with electronic suspension (except the Q45a), it didnt really do much (according to reviews I've read).

I still want to try it myself or hear from someone personally.
Modified by Jesda at 1:37 PM 9/12/2004

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

buy a turbo Z31 parts car and knock yourself out (manual swap, 5 lug, turbo, ect....)

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

I always think the M30 looked like a upscale 2dr Stanza.A RWD VG30E has lotsa potential. Is the Leopard/M30 basically a 4 seater Z31?? Was this Nissan's only convertible in the late 80s (before the Z32)?

Rex

From Consumer Guide

Quote »Complementing the new Q45 "flagship" sedan from Nissan's luxury division was the entry-level M30 coupe, also introduced for 1990. Essentially an Americanized version of the Nissan Leopard, sold in the Japanese market, the M30 was intended as a temporary stopgap, until a brand-new model could be developed.Dimensions were close to the front-drive Nissan Maxima sedan, but the M30 had rear-wheel drive and weighed about 300 pounds more. Maxima provided the 3.0 liter overhead-cam V6 engine, rated at 162 horsepower; but it was mounted longitudinally in the M30, rather than transversely. A 4-speed automatic was the sole transmission. Antilock brakes and a driver's airbag were standard."Sonar Suspension II," also borrowed from the Maxima, used an ultrasonic sensor mounted beneath the radiator to "read" the road surfaces and adjust shock absorber damping accordingly. A cockpit switch let the driver choose soft, medium, or firm damping mode.Like the bigger Q45, the M30 was marketed as a "one-price" model, fully equipped with only two dealer-installed options available: a cellular phone and a CD player/changer. Standard equipment included a power moonroof, automatic climate control, leather upholstery, power windows and door locks, a 2-way power driver's seat, limited-slip differential, 4-speaker Nissan/Bose audio system, and antitheft alarm.

Year-to-Year Changes

1991 Infiniti M30: An M30 convertible joined the original coupe this year. Convertibles were transformed from coupes by American Sunroof Corporation in California. A standard power top automatically latched/unlatched at the windshield header and also raised/lowered windows at the same time. Otherwise, improvements were modest in the M30's second season on the market. The central locking system could now be operated from either door, and "summer" performance tires replaced the prior all-season rubber. Tachometer and speedometer positions on the instrument panel were transposed, and gauge graphics were bigger this year.1992 Infiniti M30: Except for a new power door-lock system with 2-stage "select logic" operation, this year's M30 coupe and convertible were complete carryovers. All Infinitis got the new door-locking system, in which a "first turn" from either front passenger door locked or unlocked that door. Turning the key a bit farther locked/unlocked the remaining doors.

Road Test Evaluation Though pleasant, the M30 coupe is not particularly exceptional. Angular styling and a tight cockpit suggest Nissans of the 1980s, not cars of the early '90s. Automatic-transmission performance has been a pleasant surprise. It responds immediately to throttle inputs and moves up and down the gear with smoothness that rivals the best of the breed. A test coupe accelerated to 60 mph in a brisk 8.7 seconds.Braking distances are short and directional control is excellent. Balance and grip through long sweeping turns is fine, but the car can feel a bit ponderous around town.Ride quality is variable. In the Comfort mode, the standard Sonar Suspension II allows too much nose-bobbing. Switch to the firmer Sport mode and the ride gets jittery. Shock absorber damping fixed somewhere between the two settings might have solved the problem; but that was not available.Drivers over 6-feet tall might have trouble fitting in the coupe because the power moonroof steals head room. The convertible has adequate head room, but its top has wide rear "pillars" which, matched by slim, fixed rear side windows, complicate over-the shoulder vision. Rear-seat leg room is inadequate in both body styles, unless front seats are moved well-forward.Cargo-carrying capacity is not a strong point. The trunk is shallow, its floor not fully flat, and the opening is high and narrow.Despite suffering from "cowl shake," a typical bane of convertibles that have been transformed from coupes, the open-air version of the M30 has its own charms. The automatic convertible top is quick and easy to use, but fitting the rubber molding of the tonneau cover is laborious and time consuming. In addition, a cramped driving position, tight rear seat, and the dinky trunk--coupled with a "busy" ride--are among the negative points that have kept the M30 convertible away from the top of our shopping list in this class.

Value for the Money A new M30 came with most everything expected in a luxury coupe, yet beat most rivals on price. Though comparable to an Acura Legend, the M30 isn't as much fun to drive. [/quote]Quote »Each vehicle report contains one rating table for a representative model. We rate in seven key areas: Performance, Fuel Economy, Ride Comfort, Interior Noise, Passenger Room, Cargo Capacity, and Insurance Costs. These ratings are given taking into account the "world" of vehicles, not a vehicle's standing in a particular class. In the ratings table, "1" is the lowest rating and "5" is the highest rating.Consumer Guide Road Test Ratings 1991 Infiniti M30 convertible Ratings Performance 4 Fuel Economy 2 Ride Quality 3 Quietness 3 Interior Room 3 Cargo Capacity 2 Insurance Costs 4 Total 21 [/quote]

Rex

Quote »Specifications Infiniti M30 2-door convertible Infiniti M30 2-door coupe Wheelbase, in. 103 103 Overall Length, in. 188.8 188.8 Overall Width, in. 66.5 66.5 Overall Height, in. 54.3 54.3 Curb Weight, lbs. 3576 3333 Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 12.3 11.6 Standard Payload, lbs. -- -- Fuel Capacity, gals. 17.2 17.2 Seating Capacity 4 5 Front Head Room, in. 35 36.8 Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.2 42.2 Rear Head Room, in. 35.2 35.7 Min. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.2 30.2 Specifications Key: NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

NHTSA Crash Test Results 1992 M30 2-door coupe Crash Test Driver 4 Crash Test Passenger 4 The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tests a vehicle's crashworthiness in front- and side-impact collisions and rates its resistance to rollovers. Their test results suggest the chance of serious injury, while rollover resistance ratings are based on how top heavy the vehicle is and indicate the chance for rollover when the vehicle leaves the roadway. Front crash test numbers indicate: 5 = 10% or less; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-35%; 2 = 35-45%; 1 = More than 45%. Side impact numbers indicate: 5 = 5% or less; 4 = 6-10%; 3 = 11-20%; 2 = 21-25%; 1 = More than 26%. Rollover resistance numbers indicate: 5 = Less than 10%; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-30%; 2 = 30-40%; 1 = More than 40%. Powertrain Options and Availability All M30 models used an overhead-cam 3.0-liter V6 engine, producing 162 horsepower and driving a 4-speed automatic transmission. Engines Size liters/cu. in. Horsepower Torque EPA city/hgwy Consumer Guide Observed ohc V6 3.0 / 181 162 180 4-speed automatic: 19/25 4-speed automatic: --

Notes: Engine Key: ohv = overhead valve; ohc = overhead camshaft; dohc = dual overhead camshaft; I = inline cylinders; V = cylinders in a V configuration; H = horizontally opposed cylinders; CVT = continuously variable (automatic) transmission; NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

Trouble Spots lists the many commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems. Trouble Spots

Audio system: Aftermarket CD changers installed without using proper antenna plug-in adapters has resulted in volume fading in and out, static, radio bleed-through when using the CD player and poor reception. (1990-92)Convertible top: Convertible tops had several problems including: tack strips that allow the bow to slip out of place, water and wind leaks, poor-fitting boots, and boots that would not stay attached. (1990-92)

Fuel odors: Leaking fuel injectors that caused starting, drivability problems, and fuel odors were being voluntarily replaced. (1990-92)

Hood/trunk: Early build models had defective trunk-light switches that would allow the light to stay on and drain the battery. (1990)[/quote]
Modified by Rex at 5:59 PM 9/12/2004

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

0-60 in 8.7 bleh!

doesn't the 240 move faster then that?

I'd still drive one though, they're neato.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

That's pretty sweet. Time to go check Autotrader;)

PalmerWMD

Rex:

Sorry , yes its an S13 vert that Greg got, he was looking for an M30 vert for a while and hence I rememberd it wrong.

Fred..

andrave

mine is a 1990 with 109k on it. It needs a new alternator, has a couple door dings, the windshield has a little crack in it, it needs a new speedometer cable, the seats have some tears, and the radio doesn't work. But I got it for 1000, so.. you get what you pay for. When its running its pretty nice, seems to have adequate power. I really wanna get a 5spd and pedal from a Z and do that swap though. But then again this is just a car I'm driving till I get my s13 coupe (tt ka24de) done, and then I'm either sellin it or if it seems reliable my fiancee might get it. Unless I decide I like it.lol...anyway its a pretty nice car. That article is not entirely correct, though. For instance, the suspenion is TWO way adjustable, not three (comfort or sport). despite mine's age the switch still seems to make a discernable difference in controlling the suspension, although I think one of my rear shocks may be blown. Also, the placard under the hood of my car proclaims 168 HP, not 162. And I think the car has lots of headroom, and I'm about 6'. Its gots tons more than an s13 with a power moonroof, thats for sure.But yeah with a 5 spd and intake/exhaust this car could be fun. With a turbo vg it might even be considered sporty. But the way it is now I'm just hoping its comfortable, reliable transport.

andrave

I was changing my belts and alt today and I noticed something: to the left of the brake master cylinder, there is a two bolt hole with a plate bolted over it. HMM, wonder if thats for a master cylinder for the clutch? interesting!

krazy skwerel
Car: 1989 240sx Coupe down for the count, 2005 Honda Accord, 1974 Mustang II

I almost broke down and bought one of these cars myself. I love the styling, but I hate the vert models. I found one with rebuilt motor for 2k. Really wish i had picked it up. Good find though man.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

After having seen this thread recently I had them in the back of my mind and so I started looking for them, actually saw two on the road today, both verts.

andrave

haha mine is the only coupe in existence! no wonder I can't find any parts. does anyone know if my speedo is mechanical or electronic?

krazy skwerel
Car: 1989 240sx Coupe down for the count, 2005 Honda Accord, 1974 Mustang II

I swear the coupe baffles me. I had no idea they were coupe at all till I found that one in GA. Then i found out they didn't offer the vert till later. Why are there so many damn vert M30's?

Return to “General Chat”