Infiniti i30 struts replacement? Help

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
rucshaca

I have infiniti i30 1997. 122k miles. My car mechanic recommended to me to replace sturts.

I have done some research myself and found out that i have to replace only 2 things in order to complete replacing struts.

and the combination is following:"TOKICO ILLUMINA STRUTS WITH Eibach Springs"

I am newbie and do not know much about the car mechanics. just wondering iam on right path with the above combination.

I am also confused with what struts assembly or sturts mounting kit all about ?

can somebody please guide me through if i just need to buy "TOKICO ILLUMINA STRUTS WITH Eibach Springs" OR some kits or other assemblys as well ?

Thanks and regards.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Illuminas with Eibachs are a great combination.

The mounting kit is (usually) replacement upper mounts and bolts. It might have a few other minor parts as well. You can reuse your old upper mounts, but if I were in your position, I'd get the new ones.

And welcome to NICO!

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Also, it's best to replace the strut bearings when replacing the struts. You can get them at your local Nissan dealership, or through one of NICO's dealer sponsors.

rucshaca

Thanks for some valuable information.

Following is what i need:

1) TOKICO ILLUMINA STRUTS2) Eibach Springs3) mounting kit (mounts and bolts)4) strut bearings

If you have some time, would you know how would each cost. I wanted to replace both **front** LH, RH..

Any recommendation of the online shop/or otherwise to buy the above ?

I must appreciate your time on this.

Thanks and Best Regards.

maxhopper

zerothread/119692

Try Sport Compact Only for the struts and springs. Are you going to do front and rear, or just front?

rucshaca

1)what is "Sport Compact struts and springs" .... are there any other confusing items as well?I have 1997 infiniti i30....122k miles on it.

is "Sport Compact struts and springs" compitible with my car ?

2) I am planning to do front and then six months down the road, the rear. But if i get some discounts doing both together, i can plan doing both front and rear together .

I live in Wayne, NJ... 07470

Modified by rucshaca at 9:45 AM 4/21/2007

maxhopper

Sport Compact Only is the name of a company that sells parts, such as struts and springs. Tell them you are a NICO member for best pricing.

rucshaca

TOKICO ILLUMINA STRUTS are adjustable struts .....is there any other advantage over KYB GR-2's ?

KYB GR-2 are cheaper than ILLUMINA. My infiniti i30 is an old car. I do not need "adjustable" fancy stuff, i just need something good, which gives comfortable ride (and luxury too... ).

can somebody educate me on KYB GR-2 pros and cons over Illumina ?

Also, i went to my garage shop and he said, that springs are lifetime and hence we do not want to replace them with Eibach springs ...is it true ? Why do i need these springs when the old can be used ?BTW ...What is the difference between the original infiniti springs and the Eibach springs ....is KYB or Illumina not compatible with original infiniti springs (is the original springs called as "lowering springs" or something else)?

Iam getting confused now...

Modified by rucshaca at 1:09 PM 4/21/2007
Modified by rucshaca at 2:25 PM 4/21/2007

maxhopper

If you are going to reuse the stock springs, then the GR2's are fine.

If you are going to get after market springs (which do lower the car), then to try and maintain the "stock" feel, as well as the ability to stiffen/loosen the suspension, it is best to have some adjust ability built in. Coil overs are ideal suspension mod, but adjustable struts/shocks (when coupled with springs) are a more affordable alternative.

rucshaca

ok ...thanks. Now, i understand what iam doing....

I will buy following 4 item to complete this struts job.

1) TOKICO ILLUMINA STRUTS2) Eibach Springs3) mounting kit (mounts and bolts)4) strut bearings

Thanks a ton for all your time and response.

Best Regards.

joeygott
Car: 2000 I30T

I would love to know how it goes. I have a 2000 I30T and will need to replace mine soon. I'm using originals and have 112k miles, still work fine.I do not want a rougher ride than stock, yet don't want too soft. I hear too often of aftermarket setups being too rough 4 times out of 5.Please let me know how they feel compared to stock.Good luck.

Joey

maxhopper

If maintaining the stock ride is imperative, the get OEM struts/shocks.

If you'd like to explore other options, I'd recommend checking out other suspension-related threads that have been discussed within the past few pages.

SA240SXCRUISER
Car: 93 240SX, 94 SENTRA, 2000 MAXIMA

i have 2 brand new kyb gr2 for the rear if you are interested they were for my 99 max that i totaled, they are gas struts

SA240SXCRUISER
Car: 93 240SX, 94 SENTRA, 2000 MAXIMA

i have 2 brand new kyb gr2 for the rear if you are interested they were for my 99 max that i totaled, they are gas struts

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”