In need of serious help, major issue

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Jawrey
Car: 1991 Nissan President

Hey guys,

I had posted a couple of days ago about removing the active suspension components to make way for coilovers. I fear that I may have jinxed myself...

Today I went to the hardware store, and as I left I went over a speed bump and heard a definite clunk/thunk sound from the right rear, and as soon as that happened my "slip" and "traction" warning lights began flashing, but alternating..."slip", "traction", "slip", "traction" etc. I also noticed that I heard a "tic-tic, tic-tic" sound coming from the engine bay (it sounded like a heartbeat).

I pulled over as soon as I could, and the "heartbeat" continued. I popped the hood and noticed that it seemed to be coming from the power steering/actsus pump. I started to gingerly drive home, and the vehicle started to shudder, and the a/c started to go off and on. I very luckily had turned into my complex by the time the power steering went out completely, and then the car died.

I was able to restart the vehicle by jumping it and I managed to get it home (it died about 800m from my home) but I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Any thoughts? I noticed on short drive home that the suspension was SUPER bouncy, and that there was a bit of sag in the rear. I'm assuming that my actsus is shot, but I honestly have no idea...before this car, I was a total diesel guy.

Thanks for any help you can provide, even if it's just moral support!

OwnerCS

Have you checked all belts and fluid levels?

Jawrey
Car: 1991 Nissan President

It would appear that a few things were going on...

1) Active Suspension tank was dry as a fart
2) No-name, undersized battery bit the dust
3) The car is not producing 14 volts...could be the alternator, could be the belts. Either way, the belts look suspect so I'll be swapping all the belts and hoping that the alternator itself is still functional. Worst case, I have new belts and a new alternator!

I'm trying to track down a set of belts for my car, and I'll be doing some fluid servicing while she's down. I've already purchased and installed a new battery, she's got fresh synthetic and oil filter, I've got diff fluid and transmission fluid waiting in my garage, as well as coolant. Rear brakes were just done, the fronts will be done soon!!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Sounds like the alternator needs replaced. Funky stuff happens when low voltage occurs. If you're not getting 13.5-14.0 volts at idle, I'd not waste your time messing with the belts and do them both at the same time... Alternator isn't fun, but its not impossible.

O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

I know this is an older thread, but does the F50, 2005 Q have an active tank that you mentioned was dry? I think my active suspension uses hydraulic fluid, but I have no idea where to check the amount?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”