If Nissan doesn't hate convertible Z32 owners, why do windshields cost $738.68?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
pizxed off
Car: 1993 300 ZX convertible

I used to tell everyone who I could get to listen how much I loved my '93 ZX convertible. The timeless look reminiscent -- to me, anyway --of '60's-era Ferrari California’s, the bulletproof little 3.0 liter engine, the solid handling, etc., etc.. That, unfortunately, was before time and bad luck began working against me. Once I started having to replace things other than routine or maintenance parts, the love affair fizzled. I'm not in the auto business, and I'm not a mechanic. I'm just a driver. But here is what I know, and what I don't know. I don't know how a person is expected to me a Z32 convertible enthusiast if there is no way to get certain parts. I know that Nissan is apparently not legally required to keep a complete inventory of parts for a given model longer than 10 years. The aftermarket apparently only carries the parts they think will be in the greatest demand. From '90-'96 there were only 6500 or so of the Z32 convertibles made and sold. All of this adds up in 2009 to prices for Z32 convertible parts closer to what you expect from Ferrari than from Nissan, IF you can even get them. Again, remember I'm talking about the convertibles, not the coupes. Maybe the coupes are just as pricey, but I doubt it. For a car that Blue Books for only $5,500 or so, for my '93 convertible I've paid $2,000 for a replacement top stack (the mechanical part of the convertible top) that took six months to be delivered, approximately $750 for a wiring harness, and, if you can believe it, $738.68 for a windshield . I expect for the next few months I'll be seeing $738.68 pebbles flying off the backs of trucks in my dreams. I'm completely disgusted with the thought of owning a car that I can't buy parts for. So much so that I'd really like to hear from anyone who could advise me and/or contribute to a web site, that I already own, that could be a rallying point for disgruntled Z32 convertible owners. I already have the website, and the URL is a good one, believe me. It won’t be something that Nissan will like. I just need to collect content for it, and I trust there will be plenty.

SilverTwin(OH)
Car: '91 300ZX Twin Turbo

Sounds like you have experienced some misfortune but at the same time you need to do a bit of research to avoid such costly repairs.

The wiring harness for example; I assume you are referring to the EFI harness. If so, they are readily available on-line for ~$375. Certain specific model years have been discontinued but with a bit of research it is easy to determine what other models will work.

The windshield is another prime example. The only thing different about the 'vert windshield is the built in antenae. A coupe windshield interchanges and will work just fine and can typically be purchased for ~$200.

The convertible top frame is indeed a different story and you don't really have any options there. I had heard at one point that the components are now discontinued, not certain if that is accurate or not.

fairladyzz
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx n/a and 1990 Nissan TT

you will not believe it but, im about to get my windshield changed since the one i have has a big crack, its gonna cost me 110 bucks, from this guy, lol

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

what happened to your windshield? if you have comprehensive and collision coverage it's covered by insurance at zero deductible as its saftey equipment

and you have to keep in mind the Z32 is a reletively low production vehicle, it only sold about 150k units in the US during it's 7 years ont he market, by comparison the Z31 sold nearly 15k units in it's first 2 years on the market, also the Z32 uses far more unique parts with farr less parts interchange with other nissan/infiniti models than previous models, it also has many more parts than any previous Z car and is much more complex

these cars are worth more in parts than whole, while thats true of most cars it's a much higher extreme on the Z32

if you want inexpensive available parts look for a civic, or taurus, they made millions of those things, so parts are available and cheap, the Z32 just didn't sell well enough to have as much support

SBC300

SilverTwin(OH) wrote:
The windshield is another prime example. The only thing different about the 'vert windshield is the built in antenae. A coupe windshield interchanges and will work just fine and can typically be purchased for ~$200.
I have called every glass place on the planet, there can I get a93 windshield for 200? It is a dealer only part.

tg

you can get a replacement one for like 200$ or less if you dont mind having a used one.

Check around!

AZ 2 NV
Car: '71 240Z
'93 300ZX Convertible
'66 Datsun Roadster

As an owner of a '93 vert, I share your pain. Many parts are NLA.

For those who think the only difference of the windshield between a convertible is the radio antenna ....sorry you are wrong.......the vert windshield is slightly longer and wider than a coupe or 2+2. Yes....... you can fit a coupe / 2+2 windshield if the installer uses more sealant..... but it is still not the same. The vert windshield is NLA from Nissan. Most people are going this route to replace.

We have a local club member who has an OEM Nissan windshield and is trying to have a new mold made.

Good Luck !!!

VigorousZX
Car: 1990 na 300zx

Seeing how you can still fit a non-convertible windshield, you still have one of the most beautiful and unique cars for under 10k.Imo, an NSX would be the next best thing.

pizxed off

evildky wrote:These cars are worth more in parts than whole, while that’s true of most cars it's a much higher extreme on the Z32. If you want inexpensive available parts look for a civic, or Taurus, they made millions of those things, so parts are available and cheap, the Z32 just didn't sell well enough to have as much support.
I appreciate all the replies. There are just three reply points I'd like to make. The first is that I've come to realize I may have been operating under a mistaken impression for a lot of years. I just assumed that brand loyalty was something automakers cared about. I thought THEY thought that it was in their own interest. Now, I don't think that's the case.

I think these days the automakers are out to basically gouge their customers at every opportunity. Why should they invest in good will? It's easier and more profitable in the short run (they think) to take the path of planned obsolescence. Why make $200 windshields available for 15-year-old cars when you have a chance of selling a new car to a customer when he can’t find a windshield for his old car?

The second point is that, in response to the way the carmakers treat us, I think car owners should avoid brand loyalty themselves. When you can't get reasonably priced parts for your 300 ZX convertible, maybe you should simply switch your loyalty to something else? Honda discontinued their S2000 this year, but there will probably be parts available for them for the next ten years or so. Maybe I should just sell my Z32 convertible to some gullible soul who still trusts Nissan, and go out and get myself something like a 2001 or 2002 Honda S2000 AP1 convertible? It won just about as many awards when it came out as the Z32 did.

My last point doesn’t really follow from the first two, but it has to do with how misleading all these car refurbishing shows on TV are. My favorite is (was) that "Wheeler Dealer" show out of Great Britain. But that is only because it makes economically owning an older car look like something within the grasp of ordinary divers. Knowing what I know now, I think these shows are a PART of the overall effort to gouge after market parts buyers. I think the overall industry theory is that they’ll use these shows to get people thinking that a nice ride is within their financial grasp. Then they make just enough parts to get people hooked (like all of us), so they can, in essence, in the end sell us manufactured obsolescence.

Maybe if customers turned against the automakers who failed to make reasonably priced parts available, things would change. In any case, if I can’t drive my ’93 300 ZX convertible the way it was intended to be driven for fear of breaking it and not being able to get parts, I find it hard to conceive of how I can remain a fan.

SBC300

Thats why people buy domestic cars. My local glass shop installed a front windshield in my 69 camaro for $101 and had the glass in stock. Not bad for a 40 year old car. Parts are a dime a dozen for it.

evildky

I think automakers are required to provide 10 years of parts support for cars sold in the US, the Z32 hasn't been sold in the US in almost 14 years!

and I think one side effect of this economy is that the dealers have become even more cut throat, or perhaps they are just still riding the high of the cash for clunkers wave

I had an 86 ford exp with a busted rear windshield years ago, it was $900 and had to be trucked in, but insurance covered it

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

if you spent as much time looking to get a deal on a windshield or whatever part you need as you did complaining about it, you probably would have found one for cheap

SBC300

Z31toZ32 wrote:if you spent as much time looking to get a deal on a windshield or whatever part you need as you did complaining about it, you probably would have found one for cheap
I have spend several hours trying to locate one and myself and my local yards searches are still coming up with nothing. Maybe you can point me to one?

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

http://account.autoglasshostin...t=w2glooks like $230 or so.

SBC300

Z31toZ32 wrote:http://account.autoglasshostin...t=w2glooks like $230 or so.
Thanks, I had tried that site but ran it through as a convertible not a coupe. No hits for a vert. We are all sure a coupe will fit right?
Modified by SBC300 at 6:16 PM 9/27/2009

pizxed off

SBC300 wrote:Thanks, I had tried that site but ran it through as a convertible not a coupe. No hits for a vert. We are all sure a coupe will fit right?

Modified by SBC300 at 6:16 PM 9/27/2009
There is a little bit of difference of opinion on whether a coupe windshield will work on a convertible. SilverTwin(OH) says a regular coupe windshield will work, but AZ 2 NV says that what you really need to use as a substitute on a convertible is a a 2+2 windshield.

The website <http://everything2.com/title/Nissan+300ZX> says Z32 non-turbos were, in fact, sold in the US, and I seem to remember seeing some a long time ago, but I'm not sure. The TT Z32 2+2s were never sold in the US.

It seems to me that a non-turbo Z32 2+2 would be even harder to find a windshield for than a convertible Z32, so I don't really see how using a 2+2 windshield is a fix, unless AZ 2 NV is talking about using a Z31 2+2 windshield.

The dealer supplied $738.68 windshield that Progressive Insurance is paying $488.68 of the cost of for me is being installed on Thursday.

evildky

as silvertwin said, the glass fits it's just missing the glass antenna

dantesdoom
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx N/A
1997 Nissan Pickup

200 bucks for a regular window...thats cool as i don't have insurance to cover those right now...so i might go pick one up...i thought windshields were much more than that...never bought one..always free for my truck with insurance.

clobe26
Car: 1993 Z32 300ZX Convertible

I truly understand your pain. My wife purchased this car stock for me only because she wanted me to have a lovely daily driver but unfortunately, it ran like garbage. I had worked as a mechanic for over 10 ears & never once have I had such a greater headache working on this car. A buddy of mine offered to drop in a silvia motor instead of rebuilding my VG, but i optioned to run her into the ground. I figured "original" gives the car a much more greater appreciation. Don't get me wrong, I love my convertible, but like u said...very rare to find our parts, but u can try autowrecking yards to push your luck. Good luck & just remember:

We have the Bastard Children of the Z32's out there....but hot damn, do we Love Em'!

AZ 2 NV
Car: '71 240Z
'93 300ZX Convertible
'66 Datsun Roadster

pizxed off wrote:There is a little bit of difference of opinion on whether a coupe windshield will work on a convertible. SilverTwin(OH) says a regular coupe windshield will work, but AZ 2 NV says that what you really need to use as a substitute on a convertible is a a 2+2 windshield.

The website <http://everything2.com/title/Nissan+300ZX> says Z32 non-turbos were, in fact, sold in the US, and I seem to remember seeing some a long time ago, but I'm not sure. The TT Z32 2+2s were never sold in the US.

It seems to me that a non-turbo Z32 2+2 would be even harder to find a windshield for than a convertible Z32, so I don't really see how using a 2+2 windshield is a fix, unless AZ 2 NV is talking about using a Z31 2+2 windshield.

The dealer supplied $738.68 windshield that Progressive Insurance is paying $488.68 of the cost of for me is being installed on Thursday.
I stated
AZ 2 NV wrote:For those who think the only difference of the windshield between a convertible is the radio antenna ....sorry you are wrong.......the vert windshield is slightly longer and wider than a coupe or 2+2. Yes....... you can fit a coupe / 2+2 windshield if the installer uses more sealant..... but it is still not the same. The vert windshield is NLA from Nissan. Most people are going this route to replace.
Again you can use a Z32 coupe or 2+2 windshield....... a Z31 windshield will NEVER fit.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”