IAC and ECM generate transmission shifting headaches

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
JohnMaxima
Car: 200 Nissan Maxima GXE

I have a 2000 Maxima (GXE) and just recently had the IAC valve go and it DID take out the ECM. Today, I get the car back after having both parts replaced and as I'm driving off the lot, I notice the trasmission timing is off. When I step on the accelerator (about half-way to the floor), the car goes through 1st, 2nd, possibly 3rd, but then the tac just revs up to between 4000 and 5000 RPM before the 4th gear / overdrive FINALLY kicks in. When it does kick in, you can feel the bang and car shudders. Mind you, I'm not sure exactly which gear transition this is taking place at. It might be from 2nd to 3rd, it might be 3rd to 4th, etc. - who knows. All I know is that I never had a problem with transmission timing or slow acceleration before the IAC and ECM were replaced and now I do. Any ideas/thoughts on why I suddenly have a transmission shifting problem (i.e., shifting to a higher gear far too late)?

britra

I have a 2000 nissan maxima se and i experienced the exact same thing. i was riding about 90mph on the interstate when that occurred..it felt like the transmission slipped and all of a sudden, i hear a loud bang and it started shifting normal. It also slipped out on me in the city and lasted about 2 minutes before it settled back in and started shifting normal. on another occassion i was on the interstate heading out of town and it did the same thing as far as the slipping goes; it did that once and i decided when i reached my destination to have nissan changed the transmission fluid and i am not sure if they changed the strainer. in order the the city slippage happen after the change of fluid and it has not slipped since the in city slippage. so in order the loud bang was the first. the interstate travel and change fluid in the visiting city was second and the third was the in city traveling and all of those were not close in time. Have you found out anything so far?

JohnMaxima
Car: 200 Nissan Maxima GXE

Did your transmission problem only begin AFTER you had the IAC valve and ECM replaced? Before I had the IAC and ECM replaced I never had a problem with the transmission "shifting late" or "staying in gear too long before up-shifting". Your reply leads me to believe that after they changed your transmission fluid that your problem disappeared. Is this conclusion correct or do you still have problems?

Finally, I have not heard yet from the Dealer so I don't know anything more then what I have provided (i.e., they replaced the IAC and ECM and now I'm having a shifting problem).

Thank you for your reply,John

rfgleas
Car: 2001 I30t

John - what did you find out? I have a 2001 I30T and same exact thing is going on. Dealer tells me its a tranny problem, but the trans was good until the IAC and ECm were changed? Help man!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”