I35 camshaft position sensor.....service????

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
i35dimentia
Car: I35 Infiniti 2004

Hi, i just became a member of this forum. I recently bought a used 04 I35, ... it is a beauty, ... i already put almost 3000 miles in it in less than 2 months and i haven't had any problem what so ever... i was more than happy until yesterday.. i went to the dealer to have it serviced, regular oil change and filter change. Since that was my first time in that dealer they did a full inspection and they told me everything was o.k. , that a transmission fluid was recommended but everything else was perfect.... i drive out of the dealer and literally 7 minutes after as i was exiting the freeway, my car just stopped running, i couldn't brake or steer, i pulled out, cranked it back on and i noticed that the revs were going up and down, i went back to the dealer, i told them they do a diagnosis and told that one of the cylinders was misfiring and that i need to replace them all, a 1200 $ job... for me that is too much coincidence.. i mean 3000 = no proble, i go to the dealer 7 mins after the servive my car just stops...???? could they have messed up something? so i went to an independent shop, paid 65 bucks to have another diagnosis and the computer reads... "camshaft position sensor problem" ...a different diagnosis... and it does not show a misfire problem..... is it possible that during the inspection they moved one of the two camshaft sensors and they messed them up??? i will really appreciate any piece of info you have, i used up all my savings in this baby..... i am a student and i don't have 1200 dlls burn on just becausee.....

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Welcome to NICO.

Sorry about the problem with your car. I think the only thing they could have done would have been to have left the wiring connector loose, and it eventually became unplugged.

i35dimentia
Car: I35 Infiniti 2004

DO you know if adding a oil additive may interfere with the function of the sensors? They told me that that may be the problem, because i bought an oil additive (since my engines has 77k miles) and i asked them to replace one liter of oil with that additive, now they are telling me that the additive may have caused the malfunction ? is that even possible? why didn't they tell me that when i asked the guy at the dealer to add the additive, (which i bought from autozone,) oh well .. thanks

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

I've never heard of that personally.

hegihome
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35

My car is doing the same thing and my mechanic is stumped. Did you ever resolve this issue?

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

I missed something in where you say they want $1200 at the stealership - to repplace/fix what? If you are referring to the coil packs, then to replace all six is 2.2 hours plus the cost of the packs. The cam position sensor to R&R books out at .6 labor hours, they are right up front. I cannot help you with a parts price however.

--Mike

DMoreau
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima, six speed manual. 1997 240sx

Mike G wrote:I missed something in where you say they want $1200 at the stealership - to repplace/fix what? If you are referring to the coil packs, then to replace all six is 2.2 hours plus the cost of the packs. The cam position sensor to R&R books out at .6 labor hours, they are right up front. I cannot help you with a parts price however.

--Mike
I changed the coil packs on a 2001 pathfinder last month and they were roughly $100 a piece. The cam position sensors aren't cheap either. Parts are expensive. I know the local dealership charges $100 an hour.

smittyffcfd

I have a 03 Maxima and sort of having the same problem. I am getting a code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor. Does anyone know exactly where that sensor is located.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

i've got a vq30...and i replaced my crank sensor. IT'S EASY on a VQ30. mine was located under the crank pulley near the oil filter. the front right tire needed to be removed, along with the plastic engine cover in front of the strut.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

oops...THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR. I'm no help here, i dont have a pic of that

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

when will people learn? don't trust a dealership!!! what if they messed it up on purpose just to rip you off? thought about that? a misfire is not going to cause rpm's to go up and down and won't shut the engine down.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

If you pop the hood and take off the intake tube (just two screws on a 5th gen max not sure about I35) you'll see a green connector on the back of each head and those are the cam sensors. I think that the one toward the front of the car is the one that your after.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”