I30 Starter Replacement

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Keldon
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30

Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted here, but I am now having a new problem. Seems as if my starter has went south.

Now my question is this. Where exactly is the starter located and what tools would I need? Would it be required for me to jack the car up and get to it underneath, or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Don

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I haven't been able to find a decent picture to show where it is, but it's on the transaxle housing (the starter turns the flywheel). It's on the right side of the engine bay, and you have to remove the airbox to get to it. You won't need a jack (it's on the top side of the trans housing and you get to it from above).

Tools...You'll need say have 8-14mm and a 17mm sockets.

Make sure you disconnect your battery, too.

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

You may be able to get at it by just removing the air ducting, rather than the whole box. As MD said, it should be on the right (diver) side, from the looks of things up top. There are two "through" bolts that hold it on. Mitchell books out the R&R labor at a .9 of an hour job so if you are mechanically inclined, can't be too bad. I have found that visually finding the components are more of a challenge than anything... --Mike

Keldon
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30

Thanks guys. Appreciate it a lot. And yeah I totally agree on finding the components visually to be quite a big challenge.

Thanks again!

nessag2
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

I recently had an issue with my car starting so I looked online and found this site (which i really like) to find out were the starter was. I then dug out my starter and brought it to autozone to be tested, lo and behold they said that it was good. So I go home and put the starter back in and start looking for more issues online and called a few mechanic friends of mine. I learned 2 days later that autozone testing is crap and they didn't load test it. I also found out something that would have saved me 2 days of trouble and 3 trips for parts. I was told by a friend that if the gear on the starter that cranks the flywheel spins both ways the Bendix is bad and needs to be replaced. This information was nowhere in my searching.

P.S. if your car is older than the chances of getting a "NEW" starter is slim, almost all of them are rebuilt that you buy at the store. (only autozone had a new one and it was $150 and the average of a rebuilt one around here is $115) spend 5 minutes and call auto-shops and junkyards and ask if they know someone who rebuilds parts this cost will usually be $50 - $70 and maybe 1 days time.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”