I30 1,200 Miles in a week. Maintenence Suggestions (Please Help)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
sixty4
Car: 2008 QX56
1964 Lincoln Continental

Gone:
2006 QX56, 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2000 I30

My girlfriend is going to be taking her 2000 Infiniti I30 on a trip from Northern Virginia to Indianapolis. She will essentially be driving there @ about 600 miles one day. The car will sit for a week or so then she will be driving back for another 600 miles.

I want to get some regular maintence done or even better do it myself. I am going to chance the oil this weekend, I have been using a full synthetic. What other mainteinence should I do in addition to the below list, give me even the obvious?

The Car:-2001 Infiniti I30, 140,000 miles. -Running Full Synthetic Oil for about 1.5 years

1. Oil Change (Full Synthetic, I got this!)2. Transmission Fluid (Should I have this done?)3. Windshield Washer Fluid (I got this!)4. Brake Fluid (hmmmm?)5. Coolant (Will have this done)

Plan is for me to do #1, and get #5 done. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

In addition to the above:-Transmission fluid must be pinkish red. If dirty/brownish, do a pan drop-clean the pan, magnets, replace filter and gasket and then refill by the exact amount drained. Would be better to have ATF fluid exchange rather than multiple drain and refill (use Nissan Matic-D or Mobil 1 ATF or Dexron III and add a bottle of LubeGard Red ATF Protectant)-Check/replace power steering fluid (Dexron III or equivalent)-Check brake pads thickness. Minimum is 2mm but since this is a long drive, pads must be 4mm or more. Flush brake fluid if color is very dark.-Check/replace air filter.-Check drive belts and replace if cracked or worn out-Check all lights-Check tire condition and pressure-Take advantage of this long drive to use BG44K or Redline Fuel System cleaner - 1 can each way.

sixty4
Car: 2008 QX56
1964 Lincoln Continental

Gone:
2006 QX56, 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2000 I30

Thanks for the response!

I found the BG44 at a local shop, they want $21.95 a bottle and great suggestion on it. I read some posts about the stuff, sounds good!I called and got prices on the items you mentioned, not cheap at all. I do my own synthetic oil changes.. how hard are the other items?

$145.99-Transmission fluid must be pinkish red. If dirty/brownish, do a pan drop-clean the pan, magnets, replace filter and gasket and then refill by the exact amount drained. Would be better to have ATF fluid exchange rather than multiple drain and refill (use Nissan Matic-D or Mobil 1 ATF or Dexron III and add a bottle of LubeGard Red ATF Protectant)$79.99-Check/replace power steering fluid (Dexron III or equivalent)-Check brake pads thickness. Minimum is 2mm but since this is a long drive, pads must be 4mm or more. Flush brake fluid if color is very dark.-Check/replace air filter.-Check drive belts and replace if cracked or worn out-Check all lights-Check tire condition and pressure-Take advantage of this long drive to use BG44K or Redline Fuel System cleaner - 1 can each way.$99.99-Coolant$145.00-Transmission Fluid$50.00-Oil (Do myself)

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Give priority to the brakes, tire condition, drive belts and lights. The others may follow.-remove the wheel and you should be able to check the pad thickness. When installing the wheels, make sure you torque the lug nuts properly (72-87 foot pounds). Loose lug nuts are unsafe but overtorquing can warp the rotors and even damage the lug nuts-hub bolts.-you may need a flashlight to check the belt condition.-checking lights are straightforward. For the brake light, you can put something heavy on the brake pedal and then check them.-very few shops will do a transmission pan drop, clean the magnets and replace the filter. They will just go straight into transmission flush and then fluid exchange. It's your call.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”