I would like members to weigh in on tire choice

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
generv
Car: 2011 g37x

Hi, I am getting ready to replace the original tires on my G37. I have always used Michlens in the past but I see quite a few members like the Continentals. I am 68 years old so as you can see I really don't need the high performance tires just the ones that give the best ride. Thanks

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

It all depends on how, and where, you drive it. Do you need to deal with winter weather? Then all seasons are your best choice. If not, a summer tire might be good. And don't worry about age, I'm not all that far off of you and I still drive fairly briskly. Never put the possibility of track days out of mind either if you have any inclination in that area.

For me, I live in the mid Atlantic and all seasons are a must unless you want to have a dedicated set. The OE tires were Bridgestone summers and were very good wet or dry. They sucked if there was any winter precipitation. I just replaced them in January with Hankook Ventus S1 Nobel 2 and am very happy with them. The final decision was between them, Michelins and the Contis. I suggest you go to the Tire Rack site and read the specs, test results and especially the reviews before you buy. I was leaning away from the Hankooks and the tests and reviews changed my mind - glad they did.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Check the Grand Touring Tires on Tirerack if you don't need a performance tire.
I'm thinking they would do better in snow and rain than the performance tires.
The regular all season Coppers I had on my 08 G35X did great!!! They were on it when we bought it.
Did put Conti DWS UHP All Seasons on it. They did better in the twisties, but not sure they did as well in the snow.
Conti makes a high rated Grand Touring.
But, hard to go wrong with Michelins.
Daughter did great with her Yoko Avids in the snow at ASU (NC mountains) on her 2000 Max.
'

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

My suggestion is to spend several hours doing research on the TireRack web site. Use their tire decision guide to find what they think will meet your needs. Then, read their tests and customer comments. Select a few candidates and present them here for comments.

I was faced with the same question last summer. Ultimately, I swallowed hard, spent the money for Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have no regrets. Compared to the OEM Bridgestones, they ride better and track better. I believe TireRack's test results that show they handle better, too, but I don't drive hard enough to find out first hand.

Do you drive on ice and snow? If you do, be aware that all season tires have their limits especially when they get old. I have an old Subaru for a winter beater. (My G37S hides in the garage when the roads are a mess.) I used to run all season tires on the Subaru thinking that all wheel drive made tire choice irrelevant. Two years ago, I put on some cheap winter tires. The difference between them and old all seasons is astonishing. Unless your winters stay mostly above freezing, I suggest you invest in winter tires on an extra set of wheels. Then, you can buy summer tires without compromising their performance.

Gilley

I have gotten over 60k miles from the Michelin all seasons on my sedan and they handle great. They aren't inexpensive, but they lasted longer than two sets of cheaper Kumhos, so the Michelins were less expensive in the long run.

ugufru
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

I've had the Continential DWS on for about 2 years and can't say enough good things about them regarding handling, traction, and noise level. They did fabulous in the snow, and are pretty much the best tire I've ever had for high-speed driving in wet/slick weather.

My only complaint about them is that the sidewalls are a bit soft and easily damaged by pot holes and rough terrain. Three of my four tires have slight sidewall bubbles, and they have suffered various slow-leaks over the past year.

I'd definitely get them again if we lived in a neighborhood with better streets.

generv
Car: 2011 g37x

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. YOU ALL HAVE GIVEN ME GOOD INFORMATION AND A LOT TO THINK ABOUT. I THINK I AM MOST LIKE KENDAHL IN THAT I HAVE A SUBARU FOR THE WINTER AND THE G37 STAYS IN THE GARAGE.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I had the Conti's on my G37 and loved 'em.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

No real complaints on the DWS either.

If you have been happy with the Michelin's then I really see no reason to not get another set of them.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”