I would avoid the 2011 Rogue nav system!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
katkat

After playing with the Nav system for a few weeks, I am very annoyed with it! The nav itself is OK, but the integration with bluetooth is horrible. Nissan just took the easy route and launched a half-baked product.

The issues that I have with it:

* If you use the navigation and then get a call, the screen changes to display useless call data instead of the navigation map.
* If you start a call and want to go to the navigation screen to enter a new destination - you can't. It is disabled while on a call.

The premium package specs say that the car has navigation and bluetooth. Saying that the car has bluetooth and nav but not enabling both at the same time is consumer fraud. I called Nissan and they have no plans to update it.

Avoid purchasing this system. Post a reply if you support consumer action against Nissan.

trance34
Car: 00 Sentra SE W/PP
11 Rouge SV W/SL

Yes it's not the best system in the world, but it is an entry level vehicle.

And I would think you would need to find something in the manual that says they are supposed to work the way you are wanting it to before you try filing anything against them.

And my reply is not to support consumer action against Nissan.

philipa_240sx

katkat wrote:Nissan just took the easy route and launched a half-baked product.
Actually, Nissan does not manufacture the radios/NAV themselves. They are outsourced to companies like BOSE, Bosch, etc.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Remember the old days. Lucky if you got a decent stereo with the car. Why would you be concerned about the screen changing, while you are driving! You should be paying attention to the road, not watching your navigation screen. Too many accidents caused by drivers distracted by all these gadgets.
Paul

katkat

I have been using this system for a few months and still think is it a shameful implementation of nav/bluetooth. I fully disagree with those who try to defend the system as "entry level". It costs >$2000 and should let you navigate and use bluetooth at the same time.

If you like the Rogue (which I do), buy it and add an after-market system. DO NOT BUY THE NISSAN NAV, it is absolutely ridiculous. I am looking into adding a parrot bluetooth kit to bypass the Nissan one.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

KatKat,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with the NAV system and your opinion.

I agree the Nav packages are extremely expensive and it is so nice to have insight from current owners to help with the decision on whether to drop big bucks on these options or not. Your input will hopefully help a lot of buyers avoid this item.

Even if the NAV system was decent, I'd still agree with you strongly that it's a far better idea to save your money and have an aftermarket system installed for a much lower price and you end up with a superior product. I also agree that the Nissan Rogue NAV system is not "entry-level" when you consider the big price tag. In comparison my $200 portable Garmin Nuvi is an amazing gadget, the map interface is high quality, easy to use and the auto-routing and turn-by-turn directions are flawless and basically fool-proof. If Garmin can produce this amazing technology for under $200 I think the $2-$2500 NAV system in the Rogue should be at least as good.

Thanks again for the warning to prospective buyers, this is one of the reasons why these forums exist, to help out fellow owners and prospective buyers. Great job.

D.P.G.
Car: 2012 Murano SV / SL (AWD) with Nav.

I have been using it for a few weeks and although not perfect it certainly is better than always having to drag a portable unit with you and how often are you in a situation where a call will interfere with the nav. system. It is nicely intergraded into the dash making for a clean and efficient system. I have no complaints and would purchase it again without a second thought.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I understand that car manufactuers need to upsell on these accessories to make more money and that is fine and dandy. Just like a movie theater sell popcorn and drinks which makes the whole movie experience close to $50-$75 considering the number of people.

Yah, things are expensive, but companies try to make the almighty buck which is okay.

So I don't think it's a surprise that it cost around $2000 for a Nav system.

What surprises me is that the GPS technology seems dated and never up to par compared to stand-alone. Its seems a freaking iphone does more. :bowrofl:

My point is you expect a few thousand would bring something at least superior or equal to a stand-alone GPS. I would even accept a few thousand more easily if there was no such thing as a stand alone GPS. I mean they are pricing these things like it was 20 years ago. Computers use to cost $2000-$3000 for a desktop back then now it's cheaper. Why car companies charging the way they do is hard to accept sometimes.

This is the future and I feel a radio unit or display center should include all these things now.

But I think a few thousand should give more in the 21st century. Photo-realistic GPS, 3D, Voice command, some type of On-Star, menu button to change display to infared if your driving through woods, etc...............not something that does not even keep up with a $150 stand alone gps.

When I drive my mother's Lexus IS250, I actually use a cheap garmin since I feel it is easier to look at.
Ok enough ramble. Just my 2 cents. :inout:

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

I jumped at the chance to get the factory nav unit with bluetooth, sat and the backup camera. I don't think I've even seen what goes on when I'm on the phone. The navigation does have a big issue (in my opinion) which I've contacted Nissan over and I always keep my Garmin in the armrest but since I don't like things on the dashboard, I though the built in was a really nice option. When I had a 2005 Toyota Solara, I priced out the Toyota built in Nav unit and it came to over 2500.00

D.P.G.
Car: 2012 Murano SV / SL (AWD) with Nav.

Just curious sckeith what issues are you contacting Nissan about? I am not saying this is the finest in technology but it is right on with directions and I have run the Telenav Sprint (Android) GPS and both react and figure the same route the same way.

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

Hello

The unit is really quite good and I'm glad I got it, where I have a problem with it is, I'm in Winnipeg and I want to go to Calgary, so you do a search for the city and you find Calgary but don't have a destination in Calgary, you just want to go there. In the Nav manual on page 4-20 I think when you find your city you can either enter a category or name. Under category the manual shows as the 3rd option "City Center" my unit doesn't have that option. Calgary is not a problem, I have friends there so I can enter an address or business name. When my wife and I travel we like to go through ghost towns. You enter the name of the ghost town and select it because most of them are in the database, but since you don't have an exact destination or address and there is no City Center option you can't get there. I've had Garmins for years and I think this is a basic function. I use my Garmin for this now but looking at the screen on the built in unit you can see the streets and it is labeled correctly so they are on the map and the town name is in the database.

You can get a list of streets and select one and possibly get you there, but last year we did that, we selected "first street", the town we were going to didn't have a first street but we didn't know that, the first street we got directed to was in a town 15 kms away that we had to drive through anyways.

I tried looking for City Centers in major US and Canadian cities as well and you just don't have the option shown in the manual.

Nissan said they saw the problem but told me there was nothing they could do until a 2012 upgrade shows up and that was from Last October

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Screen was small I would of avoid it anyways.

rayjgold
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue, SL package AWD

Who said this unit cost 2k? I thought it was just included in the SL package that also included the cam, leather heated seats, heated side mirrors etc... I don't like that fact that i have to hang up the phone before i can enter a route on my GPS, But I got everything for only 26k. That being said, I think i got a pretty good deal...and having this GPS is better that none at all or having that separate box protruding from my windshield, blocking an, already, not too good view.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Good point regarding the cost of the NAV system, I may have jumped to conclusions, that's why these forum discussions are so valuable - even when you think you've got something figured out and you don't need any more input, you get some excellent counterpoints and perhaps realize you didn't quite have it all figured out!

Thanks everyone for the discussion and clarification, in particular for those who are or will be in the process of purchasing a Rogue and trying to decide on purchasing the package with NAV.

SR86
Car: Nissan

I also thought about getting the "tech" package which included the navigation and the satellite radio, but in the end opted against it. I prefer using a Garmin unit over any of the built in units since I like to upgrade the maps internally once every other year rather than slapping in a new SD card. The display on the navigation unit is quite small too compared to an aftermarket unit that is most likely is half the price.

For the extra costs, I would opt away from the tech package and either go with the base or premium package. You can find a unit that can do both satellite radio, bluetooth, rear view, navigation AND plays DVDs for half the cost. Add in the extra labour and parts if you outsource it, and you're still cheaper than the OEM unit. I work at a Toyota dealership as an installer/tech and see many vehicles come through that the customers are not happy with the OEM Toyota navigation/bluetooth/sat. radio/backup camera units the vehicle come with. Most end up replacing it with an aftermarket unit :( Then again, the Toyota units are stuck witha birds eye view type nav system.

300winmag
Car: 2011 Rogue SL AWD

I've had to use my Android a few times for GPS cause the OEM sucks. I was spoiled by the Dodge Journeys GPS though so I might be a princess about it.
I have to manually call out on the phone then the bluetooth will kick in. I can't tell it what to do and the techs say they can't do anything about it.

Doomdealer
Car: Nissan 2011 Rogue SL AWD
Acura 2006 TSX

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've actually been okay with using the built-in Nav. It's definitely not the best system I've used thus far, but it's not the worst either. I haven't ran into any major issues with it yet thus far. Maps are definitely out of date, but it's not a show-stopper.

As for the size of the display, I'd agree that it's a bit tiny indeed. However, it's still a useable size; I also greatly appreciate the backup camera that comes with it. Now I do realize the backup camera is also included in the non-Navi models as well.

And really, I got the SL package not mainly because of the Nav. It's more so for the other features (Intelligent Key for doors + ignition, leather, power seat).

katkat

Yes, I was aware of the small screen. Yes, I know that OEM units have maps that are not updated as frequently as after market units. But - I loved the idea of an integrated system. The system in my Honda is GREAT.

Here is one of the scenarios that are unacceptable:

* You use the nav, getting ready to make a turn
* You get a call
* The nav screen disappears. Voice guidance is off. All you get is a tiny arrow in the corner of the screen with distance to turn. USELESS. [anybody who claims that this is safer than keeping the nav screen & voice guidance on - that cannot possibly be true]
* You are lost and you need to ask your caller to call later

I am going to write a claim to the BBB demanding that Nissan either fix this or fully refund the Tech package. If you are as annoyed as me, you should do the same.

Nissan used a half-baked product. This is shameful. Stating that this is a Nav and bluetooth unit is bordering on fraud.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

katkat wrote: I am going to write a claim to the BBB demanding Nissan to either fix this or fully refund the Tech package. If you are as annoyed as me, you should do the same.

Nissan used a half-baked product. This is shameful. Stating that this is a Nav and bluetooth unit is bordering on fraud.

Just to let you know, the BBB in general is a joke at least as far as I am concerned. It get's you NOWHERE! :werd:

Think of it as companies buying membership from the BBB to make themselves look good. Talk about conflict of interest. For example, the BBB may intercede and contact the dealership, which happen in my case, and the dealership can just not give a rat's butt. Not even respond. Businesses just pay for the memberships to the BBB.

If you really want something done, take them to small claims court. (which I did) But their lawyer alone will cost more than settling to pay for your nav unit or replace it. But still they would pay the lawyer if they don't care about you as a customer.

But companies hate bad publicity, so you can go on those rip off sites and complain there or make a video of the problems of your nav unit than post it on you tube. Media on the internet has taken the consumer voice to the next level. Think twitter and how amazing that they respond to consumers with the company twitter accounts. See it on the news all the time and 99% of the time works. You mentioning the dealership and your predicament. They usually respond but make sure your right on your issues or they might get your lawyer after you. Happen to me..lol. All you have to do is retract what you say, but all the information can stay online on what you initially said.

This is of course you really want to do something and not full of hot air. Because they know the average person does not have the time, money or resources to really do something or they hope.

Good luck! :spitout:

Mainiac
Car: - '08 Rogue SL AWD
+ '11 Rogue SL awd

katkat wrote:Yes, I was aware of the small screen. Yes, I know that OEM units have maps that are not updated as frequently as after market units. But - I loved the idea of an integrated system. The system in my Honda is GREAT.

Here is one of the scenarios that are unacceptable:

* You use the nav, getting ready to make a turn
* You get a call
* The nav screen disappears. Voice guidance is off. All you get is a tiny arrow in the corner of the screen with distance to turn. USELESS. [anybody who claims that this is safer than keeping the nav screen & voice guidance on - that cannot possibly be true]
* You are lost and you need to ask your caller to call later

I am going to write a claim to the BBB demanding that Nissan either fix this or fully refund the Tech package. If you are as annoyed as me, you should do the same.

Having used Gamin systems for years before getting my '11 Rogue with the nav built in, I will admit that the built in is not as good as it could be, but it's far from horrible, unlike some drivers.

Your complaint is one of priority, what is more important, the call or driving?

a) Call is more important, pull over, take/end call, then continue driving.

b) Driving is more important, press hangup button on steering wheel sending call to voice mail, drive on.

As for your earlier comment about not being able to access the nav while on a call, why do you need to? To input an address, while you are on the phone AND driving? You can't enter an address while moving, so assuming you are stopped, take out your phone and turn bluetooth off on it, use it to finish the call, at the same time you'll have access to the nav system since it's no longer doing bluetooth, and since you are stopped you can enter an address, all without causing an accident do to lack of attention to driving.

katkat

I had good experience with the BBB in the past. It might be a different story with car manufacturers, we'll know soon.

I really do not get people that try to defend Nissan or offer to "set driver priorities." If you use your navigation system and you get a call, your navigation screen should not vanish. Period. It is a major inconvenience, distraction and thus a safety hazard.

There was no thought behind this - Nissan just took shortcuts and used system that had not been completed. People should avoid buying it.

blueb16

katkat wrote:I had good experience with the BBB in the past. It might be a different story with car manufacturers, we'll know soon.

I really do not get people that try to defend Nissan or offer to "set driver priorities." If you use your navigation system and you get a call, your navigation screen should not vanish. Period. It is a major inconvenience, distraction and thus a safety hazard.

There was no thought behind this - Nissan just took shortcuts and used system that had not been completed. People should avoid buying it.
i agree w/ katkat. i should've researched more before shelling out for the SV pkg on my SL. i came from a '10 mitsubishi outlander awd gt that got totaled so a lot of the "extras" in the rogue just doesn't seem so "extras" anymore.

the nav interface is freaking horrible. i swear it feels like the nav will take an hour just to calculate route. yes i understand it's a sd card based system. but does it justify a $3900 premium? for that money, shouldn't they include a hdd based nav w/ a2dp bluetooth capability and a screen that won't disappear with an incoming call which leaves you a tiny arrow w/o voice guidance? yes i agree paying attention to the road is important and pulling off the road is convenient if you're on service street. i sure as hell won't pull off the freeway or even exit just to take a call. not to mention, if nissan is trying to set driver priorities, then what's the point of having an integrated bluetooth? so you can tell the party on the other side of the phone you will call them back or pull off the road just to have a conversation?

i'm sorry, a halfassed product is a halfassed product to me. /rant :gotme

Return to “Rogue Forum”