I need help in installling a new Alternator!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
QX4kid
Car: 2000 Infiniti Qx4, 2003 Infiniti G35

Just got back from the dealership and the guy told me that I have to change my alternator. Does anyone in here know how to change an alternator and Has anyone in here ever did the 3 Big upgrade in their qx4/pathfinder (if you have an aftermarket audio system). BTW I have a 2000 QX4

alexf20c
Car: '00 SE 4x4

get your alternator tested for free at AutoZone or Pep Boys, etc. before replacing it. the dealership may have just been telling you that so you have the work done there.

if the alternator is bad, then it's easiest to replace it from the bottom.

from the top, you can loosen the belt tensioner pulley (14mm), then the belt tensioner itself (12mm) and remove the belt.

the mount bolts are 14mm. the top is a bolt that threads into the mount; the bottom is a long thru-bolt that has a captured nut on the backside of the alternator. the bottom one is most easily accessed from below the vehicle, and with a breaker bar (it's gonna be pretty tight).

once the alternator is loose, pry it from the bracket, then you can remove the wiring harness (clip), the ground wire (10mm), and the heavy-gauge power wire (10mm). you should be able to squeeze the alternator out from the bottom, between the radiator hose and the power steering lines. take care when working around the power steering, because the pressure sensor and harness will get in the way. you don't want to break it. :D

installation is reverse.

QX4kid

thanks for the tip

N2mesnob
Car: 95' SE Pathfinder

What if i want to install a bigger alternator ??? My stock one still works but got to thinking even though i dont have a big system... yet, I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be to get a bigger one first?

ahardb0dy
Car: 1990 Nissan Sentra, 1994 Pathfinder Se, formerly owned: 2005 Nissan Titan, 1994 Infiniti Q45t, 1987 Nissan Hardbody SE-V6 4x4, 1980 Datsun 310GX

I had a 160 amp dual output alternator in my 87 Hardbody I bought it from Wrangler - http://www.wranglernw.com/ - they are not cheap but it worked great (even full of mud!!) and the customer service is great, custom mounting brackets are all top notch excellent quality. A larger alt, is definitely a good purchase, In my 90 sentra I kept destroying the stock 70 amp alternator due to a large stereo and I recently after lots of researching installed a 125 amp alt. I got out of a maxima, I had to custom make one bracket but so far it is working fine and no problems from stereo any more.I know 70 to 125 isn't a big jump but I got the alt. for $10 the steel for the mount I had and I paid $40 for a local auto electric shop to test it and give me a new pulley, can't come close to that price for an aftermarket setup.

Just be careful of companies that say they can re-do the stock alternator to a higher output as doing this does not include doing anything with the extra heat that is generated especially in an alt in the stock small size case. the alt I bought from wrangler was actually a medium case GM alternator and included the adapter harness, brackets and a quality Goodyear belt.

Whenever you upgrade the alternator make sure you run a larger power cable (4 gauge minimum) from the alternator positive post directly to the positive of the battery, as it was explained to me you don't even remove the stock small wire as the current will take the path of least resistance ( the larger wire), upgrading the negative from the battery to the same large size as the positive is also recommended.

as for cons the only thing I can think of would be the initial high cost

alexf20c

stock case high-output alternators work just fine as far as cooling goes. they don't overheat.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Be sure you do the very first steps in replacing the alternator:

Record your radio presets (they will likely get forgotten).Close the sunroof (on some models, the sunroof will loose its calbration).Remove the battery cables, negative first.

And the last steps:Replace the battery cables, negative last.Reset the radio presets.

ahardb0dy
Car: 1990 Nissan Sentra, 1994 Pathfinder Se, formerly owned: 2005 Nissan Titan, 1994 Infiniti Q45t, 1987 Nissan Hardbody SE-V6 4x4, 1980 Datsun 310GX

to store your radio presets you can connect a 9 volt battery to a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it in, the battery will provide enough power to maintain the radio's memory

QX4kid

does anyone know how much output does a stock alternator put out on a 2000 qx4/pathfinder

alexf20c

90 amps

dabomb5756
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

alexf20c wrote:get your alternator tested for free at AutoZone or Pep Boys, etc. before replacing it. the dealership may have just been telling you that so you have the work done there.

if the alternator is bad, then it's easiest to replace it from the bottom.

from the top, you can loosen the belt tensioner pulley (14mm), then the belt tensioner itself (12mm) and remove the belt.

the mount bolts are 14mm. the top is a bolt that threads into the mount; the bottom is a long thru-bolt that has a captured nut on the backside of the alternator. the bottom one is most easily accessed from below the vehicle, and with a breaker bar (it's gonna be pretty tight).

once the alternator is loose, pry it from the bracket, then you can remove the wiring harness (clip), the ground wire (10mm), and the heavy-gauge power wire (10mm). you should be able to squeeze the alternator out from the bottom, between the radiator hose and the power steering lines. take care when working around the power steering, because the pressure sensor and harness will get in the way. you don't want to break it. :D

installation is reverse.
I just had to replace my alternator this last week. I just wanted to let everyone know it was a very easy job that only took about an hour.

I tried pulling out the alternator through the bottom but it would not fit through anywhere. I ended up removing the battery and battery tray as well as removing a bolt that holds an elbow for the upper radiator hose before the thermostat. This allowed for the alternator to be pulled out of its bracket very easily and only took a minute.

Thanks alex!

msdimples
Car: 2002 Infiniti qx4

Out of the blue tonight while driving, my dashboard lights started flickering. Iparked for a few minutes & couldn't restart my car. I got a jump which took hold after a minute, but car died again after driving about 5 miles. Battery is 1.5 yrs old so think it's the alternator. I have a car alarm & an amp and big subwoofer in the car. From my limited experience, I would guess its the alternator. Is this something I could repair myself & if so, how?
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

I dunno how to replace an alternator, but if and when you do, considering you have amps and all the fun stuff, Upgrade to 0 gauge wiring, it will do you a world of good.

ARKQX33V6

Statr by recharging you batter and then verify the battery is fully recharged with at least 12.6x volts after 30 minutes of waiting to destratify the electrolyte. Then...check all the cables and connections for cleanliness and secure fastening.

This may take 2 people, 2 to start the vehicle, 1 to measure voltage at the battery terminals.

With the meter at 20 VDC and the leads on the battery record the voltage, start the car, record the voltage when it starts and as important as the car cranks note the lowest voltage reading.

With the car warmed up record the idle voltage, rev the engine to about 3000RPM record the voltage.

Typical good readings for you to compare:
After recharge battery reads 12.6 at least
During cranking of a cold engine, no less than 10 VDC
After starting with fast idle, at least 12.6 but may go to 13.6 VDC
A warmed engine at normal idle, 13.6-14.xx volts
At 3000 RPM no higher than 15 VDC

If you do get a range of charging voltage of between 13-15 VDC the charger system indicated good, but depending on age and miles driven the alternator could have a current problem with bad brushes.

But it is essential to know whether you have a good battery and age does not indicate this. The battery must be charged by a known good charger and then tested for a charge not by voltage but by testing the electrolyte with a hydrometer and verifying each of the 6 six cells as to good.

The 6 cells are hooked in series and if 1 is bad it makes the battery bad. Also the cold weather will drop the amps of a battery up to 50% depends on temperature.

So verify the battery first before assuming a bad alternator.

ARKQX33V6

Sorry the editor did not permit spell chak

bravlu74
Car: 2001 NIssan Pathfinder LE

Does anyone have any info on how to remove and install an alternator from a 01 pathfinder Le. Specifically what components if any you have to remove to get to it and to replace. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :gotme
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

towncarblue

take out the fan shroud , belt
take out the battery and you will be able to remove the power and ground screws { using a 13mm wrench and a 8mm wrench }
then you can remove the two alternator bolts / screws .
turn the fan until you see the blades that have the most space between em, slide alternator from underneath the vehicle , you have to angle it right to get it past the sway bar.
remove alternator.
replacement is more of a pain . the top bolt is secured using a big nut and its hard to get it back there and turn the bolt.
it can be done without special tools but its a pain in the a**

marinoni
Car: 2002 QX4

Hello new to site and like would like to thank people that help by sharing their knowledge. I need to replace my alternator, what the best way and what should be removed to make life easy (ish!). Looks like its best to come out the top, almost looks impossible below. Appreciate any info, thanks.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

marinoni wrote: I need to replace my alternator, what the best way and what should be removed to make life easy (ish!). Looks like its best to come out the top, almost looks impossible below. Appreciate any info, thanks.
Had to replace mine last fall.
Even though I do a lot of work on this truck myself, I took one look at the job, then bought the alternator, and paid someone else to do it..lol.
It was worth every penny. The guy that did it said it was a PITA.
It came out the bottom BTW. Easier that way. :)

Leo1998
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Surprisingly the Alternator in my 98 Pathfinder VG33E was easy and took less than an hour. Just in case anyone reading this is considering replacing there's and has the 3.3L engine.

4xq

This thread says it has had 11,000 views. Is there a picture of a naked woman in here somewhere I missed?

mpsheaburger
Car: 2004 nissan pathfinder

Replacing alternator in a 2004 nissan pathfinder. Does any one know how to unhook the ground wire harness. Alternator bolts are all removed and I cant reach the bolt to unhooked the ground from the back of the alternator. Way too tight and no slack.

EdBwoy

:rotfl
4xq wrote:This thread says it has had 11,000 views. Is there a picture of a naked woman in here somewhere I missed?
Hahaha, I think it's the thread merging that the moderator has done.
Unfortunately since the titles don't mention what years these vehicles are, you have to sift through the posts to see what's valid for your year.

EdBwoy

mpsheaburger wrote:Replacing alternator in a 2004 nissan pathfinder. Does any one know how to unhook the ground wire harness. Alternator bolts are all removed and I cant reach the bolt to unhooked the ground from the back of the alternator. Way too tight and no slack.
Are you able to actually pull the alternator out? I did this from underneath and I figured I'd just move the unit way out of its location first to work on the wires so I don't damage anything. I can't recall at the moment, but there might be one of those clamp like plastic clips securing the wiring harness to a bracket.
Word of caution, the nut that holds the long bolt is a free floating one. Make sure it drops or you retrieve it by any means because it a pain to try and secure the assembly after this nut falls and gets trapped by the harness below the alternator.

Also, since I chose not to deal with the fan shroud, I ended up removing the front stabilizer bar for better access.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”