I need help. Got several issues. Please review!

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
02sixspeedmaximaselover
Car: 2002 Pearl White 6 speed Nissan MAXIMA SE

The other day when I was getting into my car leaving work, I notice a pool of oil sitting under the right center middle of the front hood(basically in front of the driver by 5 feet). I checked all the fluids, noticed the motor oil was somewhat low, so I took my 2002 maxima se, 6 speed, into the dealer today for an oil change and to ask about the oil spill. I also have a mechanic that I work with, but I couldn't convince him to swith me over to synthetic so I take it to the dealer where they use 10w 30 Amsoil(though I'd prefer it if they used 5w-30). Anyway, the dealer loves giving me a laundry list of things "wrong" with my car at the end of each service. I was wondering if this forum could take a look at what I got today and make any suggestions/advice, address concerns, and share knowledge.

1) Front & Rear End Mounts (engine), says they're split. This is the cause of the oil spill I noticed the other day. If not taken care of will eventually ruin the other 2 mounts. Labor 1.9hrs $478.

2) Rack & Pinion - Leaking. Says eventually I'll feel a grinding in the steering. Labor 6.1hrs $1400.

3)Left Inner CV Boot - Torn, says its the end inside the transmission, grease is flying around, they put this one at the top of my list. Labor 1.8hrs $264.

4)Check Engine Light - Says its $100 bucks just to run the computer on it. Took it to autozone for free, its an Oxygen Sensor, my mechanic will do it for under $200. Not extremely concerned about this. But easiest to afford.

The car is just at 100k. I don't have the kind of bucks right now to pay for all of this, and I know my mechanic could probably do it for half the cost of the dealer. I've already replaced the engine on this car (earlier post, new engine is at around 60k now), clutch, water pump, moon roof doesn't slide open anymore, and a couple other pricey items I can't remember right now. I love the car, but I can't believe all the maintenance issues I've had with this car. Its paid off, and I don't want to sell it, but with all this garbage its hard not to consider it. I'd love to be able to just fix everything and keep it forever though, definitely with some modifications in the future. Your thoughts? Is there anything I can do on my own? Your advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

first take several pictures of each problem and post them on here!!

you can do the engine mounts yourself if you don't mind a little elbow grease...the front engine mount is easier than the rear(in my opinion).purchase a HAYNES MANUAL and start reading up on each problem your Maxima has.

you are not alone when it comes to the amount of issues your Maxima has, I too have spent a great deal of $$$$ fixing problems on my Maxima b/c the previous owner didn't maintain the vehicle as well as i'd thought.

if you like the car as much as I do, and are up for the repair challenges, you will commit some time to doing the research on the issues that you have. Price out each part that you will need(ie. motor mounts, rack-n-pinion, 02 sensor, inner CV boot), and ask yourself if you are willing to put in at LEAST the total amount of $ into fixing your Maxima!

WELCOME TO NICO!!!

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

most of what they told you needs fixin is a dyi on a weekend, o2 costs close to $150 so if you want to pay extra for having it put in...your money, right? the only thing i would hesitate on doing myslef is the rack and pinion because i've never had to work on those but i think with a repair manual everthing can be done...better or worse, and since it's just a leak get in there and see if you can seal it without replacing the whole thing.

but surely post pics.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Motor mounts are easy to do. You'll want to make sure you have a good hydraulic floor jack--you need to lift the motor to take the load off the mounts. Do one at a time and it'll be simple.

Rack and pinion is probably something you'll need to leave to the professionals unless you have access to a lift. I just had mine replaced in my older Max, cost me $1000, but it was worth it. I'd let it go too long, and steering quality was extremely bad. After the new rack the car feels like a whole new machine.

CV Boot time consuming but still doable if you have mechanical experience.

O2 sensor is also definitely doable. Just need to figure out which one is bad.

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

Well at least the dealership was pretty much right on for your labor times...--Mike

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

I have a 95 maxima;

1) Starters are doable (easier than domestic fords in my opinion)

2) Radio Antenna is easy

3) Plenum gasket and valve cover gaskets are ok to do. You canchange your coolant and fuel hoses which are hidden when you do this at the same time.

4) Was able to recharge AC with one of those R134A canisters

5) Changing coils and spark plugs is easy

6) I thought the front and rear brakes were easy to do the 2nd time I did them

7) Buy a code reader and clearing device to make your life easier.Sometimes the cars throw codes which do not appear to affect theperformance. Always write them down on a piece of paper "in case"

8) Oil and filter changes are pretty easy

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

CV joints are a can do if you study the haynes manual, FSM.Need to have two people to help-Need to have worked on the brakes some in my opinion

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”